Street Fighter Mural Comes To Life In Time-Lapse Video

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Street Fighter Mural Comes To Life In Time-Lapse Video

Want to watch a fan-crafted, Street Fighter-themed graffiti art mural come together before your very eyes? Today's your lucky day.

The vignette embedded at top-right is a time-lapse video depicting the effort that goes into crafting a massive mural using aerosol spray paint and a not insignificant amount of artistic talent. What's it doing on The Escapist, you ask? The mural, painted by artist Allen "Leper" Hampton in Birmingham, Alabama is a surprisingly accurate recreation of the pre-fight screens seen in 2008's Street Fighter IV. Specifically, the piece appears to suggest that Chun-Li and Sagat are about to throw down somewhere in the vicinity of that otherwise unassuming stone wall.

If you're curious exactly how much time goes into a piece like this, Hampton claims that this particular mural was the result of three days of painting. The work is entirely crafted using aerosol spray cans, which should be doubly impressive to anyone who lives in a major urban area populated by uncreative taggers and supposedly nihilist teenagers with too much free time.

Assuming you find the mural impressive and would like to see more of Hampton's work, you can find his portfolio at the aptly named AllenHampton.net [http://www.allenhampton.net/Leper/Home.html]. And if those characters pique your interest, you can find them in tons of Capcom videogames dating as far back as 1991. They're prolific like that.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U1Q0b2MNiWs]

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I am oblig to love everything street fighter.

So yay!

Oh, and it is very pretty too.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
What's the scribbling to the sides of the figures? At first I thought it might be REALLY stylized names, but I don't think so.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mouse_Crouse said:
What's the scribbling to the sides of the figures? At first I thought it might be REALLY stylized names, but I don't think so.
I think it's supposed to be their names, and I think I can spot a couple letters in there, but I may just be fooling myself.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Agayek said:
Mouse_Crouse said:
I think it's supposed to be their names, and I think I can spot a couple letters in there, but I may just be fooling myself.
Yeah, I had a look at the Youtube page and the one on the left looks to be BLAES who did one of the pieces. Not sure about the one on the right though - the other person listed was DAZE and I don't think that's what the right one would be.

OT: That was a nicely shot video and an amazing artwork. I'd love to see another one with Cammy and Sakura but that's just personal preference ^^

Seeing this reminded me of a Soul Calibur 5 video which I think was posted here last year which I just went and re-watched. So awesome.