Street Fighter V Review - Incomplete Excellence

Mitchell Saltzman

New member
Mar 10, 2012
63
0
0
Street Fighter V Review - Incomplete Excellence

Street Fighter 5 feels incomplete due to much of its content being released later in the year for free, but lays down the foundation of what is one of the most mechanically brilliant 2D fighters around.

Read Full Article
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
Tsk tsk. I been keeping an eye on Capcom more than usual recently and it seems they are cutting a lot of corners when they aren't just rehashing old guff. People may have a fair bit of nostalgia for them, which is probably the only thing keeping them afloat currently. But I don't know how much future they have left once they finish their last rereremaster and if this doesn't sell as well as they are expecting. I'd imagine that is why they released this as it is, incomplete.
Edit: Ouch! Check out the metabombing it recieved! Seems 4/5 was incredibly generous in comparison: http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/metabombed-street-fighter-v-is-an-incomplete-beta-game/
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
Tsk tsk. I been keeping an eye on Capcom more than usual recently and it seems they are cutting a lot of corners when they aren't just rehashing old guff. People may have a fair bit of nostalgia for them, which is probably the only thing keeping them afloat currently. But I don't know how much future they have left once they finish their last rereremaster and if this doesn't sell as well as they are expecting. I'd imagine that is why they released this as it is, incomplete.
The story was left out so players would have enough time to play it before EVO. Why delay it till near EVO in May just so you can add a story you play once and never touch again?
 

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
5,264
0
0
I can you give 4/5 to a game that feels less like a complete game and more like a paid beta?

Whelp, guess this is another game I'll be skipping thanks to Crapcom's EA-Ubisoft tactics.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Part of me agrees with this. When it's working, it's an amazing game. The mechanics are exceptional, it's a beautiful game, it runs well.

Part of me is mad I bought a game with broken net code with a few especially annoying design decisions. The current story mode is tied to the online for reasons unknown. I know there was intended to not be an Arcade mode, but they have everything in place to have one but they simply don't have it for "reasons". They have a fully functional AI presently, you can turn it on in training mode and ramp up the difficulty to 8, and get suitably frustrated the fact that you cannot lay a hand on Chun Li. There is no character select option in the matches, either ranked or casual. If you want to change characters in Training, you have to leave the training and go back in to select new characters. The only place there is an option to have character select is in your own lobby, which is presently broken (no one can get in and you can't invite people, and even if that worked you can have a single person in the lobby with you).

It leads to, for me, complete frustration. Mostly because I can't fight my friends, and I am constantly disconnected from my matches after I waited 5+ minutes to get into them. I would have requested a refund except I bought mine through a third party site, so I'm presently stuck waiting for these issues to be fixed. I also don't think they will ever fix the menu diving necessary for simple things like character changes.
 

Eliam_Dar

New member
Nov 25, 2009
1,517
0
0
The game is incomplete, so I won't be getting it. I'll wait until the ultra super mega extra Street Fighter V edition is available.
 

Obbi

New member
May 7, 2008
39
0
0
Eliam_Dar said:
The game is incomplete, so I won't be getting it. I'll wait until the ultra super mega extra Street Fighter V edition is available.
They've assured us this'll be the only one now that they've gone for a more Killer Instinct style of content delivery. We'll see how that holds up.

Regardless, SFV is probably best holding off on for a month or so. Can't even get an Endless Lobby going! It's really only out for the sake of EVO, and people who just want to fight random folks online.
 

LordLundar

New member
Apr 6, 2004
962
0
0
It's also forced monitored online so if you have a connection issue on single player, the game drops the match.

I'll pass thanks. And yes, I called it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.878619-All-Street-Fighter-V-DLCs-Can-be-Earned-for-Free#22138349]
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
I'm not sure what I expected from The Escapist. Obviously the makers of the game aren't Bethesda or Steam, so the bile was going to come from all directions regardless of what they did.

Personally, I like the game. Fight mechanics are solid, gameplay is smooth. Day One online is awful, but with so many players (and cross-system), that's not surprising. All DLC characters can be unlocked through the game itself. So... yeah.

On with the hate train I guess...
 

Dominic Crossman

New member
Apr 15, 2013
399
0
0
Tanis said:
How can you give 4/5 to a game that feels less like a complete game and more like a paid beta.
Totally agree with this, fighting games in particular are becoming afwul for this, missing roster, missing gameplay modes. The worse thing about this is, believe it or not, some people can't get/afford internet and can't get half the content that rhey should of had from the start.
 

LordLundar

New member
Apr 6, 2004
962
0
0
Dominic Crossman said:
Tanis said:
How can you give 4/5 to a game that feels less like a complete game and more like a paid beta.
Totally agree with this, fighting games in particular are becoming afwul for this, missing roster, missing gameplay modes. The worse thing about this is, believe it or not, some people can't get/afford internet and can't get half the content that rhey should of had from the start.
Won't matter. If they can't get online they can't play.
 

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
monkeymangler said:
I'm not sure what I expected from The Escapist. Obviously the makers of the game aren't Bethesda or Steam, so the bile was going to come from all directions regardless of what they did.

Personally, I like the game. Fight mechanics are solid, gameplay is smooth. Day One online is awful, but with so many players (and cross-system), that's not surprising. All DLC characters can be unlocked through the game itself. So... yeah.

On with the hate train I guess...
How the fuck is 4/5 a hate train?
 

monkeymangler

New member
Feb 9, 2016
212
0
0
Steven Bogos said:
monkeymangler said:
I'm not sure what I expected from The Escapist. Obviously the makers of the game aren't Bethesda or Steam, so the bile was going to come from all directions regardless of what they did.

Personally, I like the game. Fight mechanics are solid, gameplay is smooth. Day One online is awful, but with so many players (and cross-system), that's not surprising. All DLC characters can be unlocked through the game itself. So... yeah.

On with the hate train I guess...
How the fuck is 4/5 a hate train?
It's not. The reviewer is fine. But 9 out of the 13 comments in here are people complaining about the game, complaining about Capcom, or both. 2 of the remaining 3 are mine. One is yours.

When I say "The Escapist" I mean the people who post here, not the staff.
 

Pinkilicious

New member
Sep 24, 2014
74
0
0
Tanis said:
I can you give 4/5 to a game that feels less like a complete game and more like a paid beta?

Whelp, guess this is another game I'll be skipping thanks to Crapcom's EA-Ubisoft tactics.
I wouldn't mind scores like that on incomplete things if they would make a note of it. Like for the disclaimer "We are using an early build, but oh wait no their execs tell us it's actually complete? Well just know this score reflects the gameplay and storyline visible within an incomplete version of the game."
 

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
monkeymangler said:
Steven Bogos said:
monkeymangler said:
I'm not sure what I expected from The Escapist. Obviously the makers of the game aren't Bethesda or Steam, so the bile was going to come from all directions regardless of what they did.

Personally, I like the game. Fight mechanics are solid, gameplay is smooth. Day One online is awful, but with so many players (and cross-system), that's not surprising. All DLC characters can be unlocked through the game itself. So... yeah.

On with the hate train I guess...
How the fuck is 4/5 a hate train?
It's not. The reviewer is fine. But 9 out of the 13 comments in here are people complaining about the game, complaining about Capcom, or both. 2 of the remaining 3 are mine. One is yours.

When I say "The Escapist" I mean the people who post here, not the staff.
Hey fair enough! Sorry for being hostile
 

The_Blue_Rider

New member
Sep 4, 2009
2,190
0
0
Street Fighter V is a very strange game, for the average consumer, the game has nothing, but for a fighting game player its got everything you need. A good training mode and solid online play. Personally I fell into the latter half, however it was helped by the fact that I followed the game heavily before its release, and was well aware of the lack of content the game would be shipping with. In Capcoms credit, they were very upfront about what would and wouldnt be in game on launch, and what would come later as free DLC.

Its an interesting business model for sure, and I cant really say if they made the right call or not, but its clear they were trying to appeal to as many markets as possible. Releasing the game early so that the pros can practice for the Capcom Pro Tour, but hoping that the steady stream of new content would attract newer players down the line.

If anything though at least the gameplay is rock solid, its the most fun Ive had in a fighting game for years and I think its the perfect entry point for anyone interested in getting into competitive fighting games. If anyone is interested the Escapist has its own Street Fighter V group, come join and have a chat if youre interested in the game at all
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Street-Fighter-V-Escapist-Group-Official