Student Exposes My Little Pony's Faulty Science

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Impossible physics reminds me of the car chase sequence in Castle of Cagliostro, especially @ 1:36.

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:
I am so incredibly sick of this stupid chan meme.
Only it's a TV show, not a chan meme.
Know what I'm sick of? People hating on this. I mean why? Seriously. It's a good show, people enjoy it, if you don't then just go somewhere else.

Granted there's a lot of threads about it and a lot of people have Pony avatars, but you could jsut, you know, not click on things that involve Ponies.
1) no one 'likes' my little pony, 4chan decided this show would become popular
2) avoiding my little pony at this point would require me not opening my browser any more
Only one proper response to this.

1) I like it. Deal with it. That is, if you want you... I don't mind.
2) If this is how you usually interact online it might be better for all of us if you don't.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Know whats worse than the Bronies? The rule 34.

Edit: Anyone who thinks the rule 34 doesnt exist of them...well...

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Hobo Steve said:
Applejack is clearly heavier than Rainbowdash. You have a hard working farm animal that will have lots of muscle versus a flier that will not only be sleaker but chances are will have lighter bones much like a bird.

Anyway my main question is, the series is called My Little Pony, so where the fuck are all the damn ponies?
We got Unicorns and Pegasii aplenty but jack all Ponies.
There are plenty of ponies, Applejack is a normal pony and so is Pinkie Pie

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:
Know what I'm sick of? People hating on this. I mean why? Seriously. It's a good show, people enjoy it, if you don't then just go somewhere else.

Granted there's a lot of threads about it and a lot of people have Pony avatars, but you could jsut, you know, not click on things that involve Ponies.
2) avoiding my little pony at this point would require me not opening my browser any more
1) Does the idea of people actually liking something you find weird scare you that much that you have to make weak rationalizations like that? Also I hate 4chan, so I'd be all for a chance to not like something they praise (even though they even had a MLP ban at one point)... Yet here I am.

2) Really? I wasn't aware opening your browser took you straight to ponies, what browser is that (cuz I want it)? Seriously though, I hate ads, but I have the option to both ignore and not click on them. I suggest you do the same with ponies.

Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
2) If this is how you usually interact online it might be better for all of us if you don't.
Or that.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
See this is why my country has low scores for education. We let teenagers these days just do anything.

My little pony isn't fit for a science class. While his report may have been funny, it certainly wasn't educational.

Nidokoenig

Feb 23, 2011
Not educational? He used the angle of Rainbow Dash's mach cone to determine her speed. If doing algebra isn't part of a good education, what is?

To anyone who thinks these comments are a bit too serious, nobody has yet pointed out the error of using fully grown horse sizes to determine a filly's weight. Pony are basically small varieties of horse, fully grown, they vary from 100 to 450 Kg. Since there's a Zebra in FiM, we can say that these ponies weigh between 200 to 450 Kg, or at least the Earth and Unicorn Ponies do. I used 250 Kg as the base weight in the MLP mod for Dwarf Fortress, because any larger is both pushing the definition of "little pony" and makes them too hardcore(450Kg of angry pony can flatten an ogre barehoofed). So Fluttershy in the butterfly clip probably weighs more on the order of 100 to 150 Kg, and that's without assuming she has hollow bones. Still doesn't solve the problem of there not being enough butterflies, but other people have mentioned the probable cloud magic thing.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
For anyone saying no one "likes" My Little Pony and that it's just another Internet meme people claim they like because they're trolls or what not, I'm living proof your WRONG!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Nidokoenig said:
Not educational? He used the angle of Rainbow Dash's mach cone to determine her speed. If doing algebra isn't part of a good education, what is?

To anyone who thinks these comments are a bit too serious, nobody has yet pointed out the error of using fully grown horse sizes to determine a filly's weight. Pony are basically small varieties of horse, fully grown, they vary from 100 to 450 Kg. Since there's a Zebra in FiM, we can say that these ponies weigh between 200 to 450 Kg, or at least the Earth and Unicorn Ponies do. I used 250 Kg as the base weight in the MLP mod for Dwarf Fortress, because any larger is both pushing the definition of "little pony" and makes them too hardcore(450Kg of angry pony can flatten an ogre barehoofed). So Fluttershy in the butterfly clip probably weighs more on the order of 100 to 150 Kg, and that's without assuming she has hollow bones. Still doesn't solve the problem of there not being enough butterflies, but other people have mentioned the probable cloud magic thing.
In that case then, 100kg x 9.8 = 980N

980N/.252KG (the mass of the butterflies) = 3888.8 m/s for the speed of the butterflies

3888.8/9.8 = 396.8Gs

So still a ludicrous amount of G force. Even a quarter of that mass is still pushing nearly 100G. Even with a mass of 5kg she hits 20G!

From this we can only conclude that Pegasi must weigh almost nothing at all, literally.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Judgement101 said:
I say we find the creators of My Little Pony and put THEM in a glue factory, human glue anyone?
Probably the first decent FiM school presentation yet.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
I better not show this to my little sister, she loves the ponies and the magic and stuff they bring.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
duktapeman90 said:
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:

1) Does the idea of people actually liking something you find weird scare you that much that you have to make weak rationalizations like that? Also I hate 4chan, so I'd be all for a chance to not like something they praise (even though they even had a MLP ban at one point)... Yet here I am.

2) Really? I wasn't aware opening your browser took you straight to ponies, what browser is that (cuz I want it)? Seriously though, I hate ads, but I have the option to both ignore and not click on them. I suggest you do the same with ponies.

Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Or that.
Oh god I hate you.

Seriously anyone watching this show does not actually like it. You tell yourself that you do. It's the cool thing to do. But that little voice is telling you the truth, you really don't like it. It's the same with Lazy Town a while back. No one genuinely liked that show, but everyone openly loved it on the internet. I know why. You know why. You just don't want to admit it. That's cool, man. I was like you once. I picked Totally Spies.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:

I hate to rain on your parade yet again, but there are indeed people who 'like' the show. Living proof is right here. I heard about it on this very site, decided to see what all the fuss was about, next thing I knew I'd watched every episode there is.

Just get over yourself, the animation is great, the cast is insanely well characterised, the setting is imaginative and above all, the jokes are really funny. Seriously, no movie or show in recent memory has made me laugh as much as this one.

But I'm probably just being brainwashed by the 4chan propaganda aren't I. After all I do frequent /v/, /mu/ and /sci/ and we all know how huge Ponies are on those boards.

Oh wait.

Niblic

Apr 1, 2010
Duffeknol said:
duktapeman90 said:
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:

Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Or that.
Oh god I hate you.

Seriously anyone watching this show does not actually like it. You tell yourself that you do. It's the cool thing to do. But that little voice is telling you the truth, you really don't like it. It's the same with Lazy Town a while back. No one genuinely liked that show, but everyone openly loved it on the internet. I know why. You know why. You just don't want to admit it. That's cool, man. I was like you once. I picked Totally Spies.
omg stop liking what i dont like

but seriously though, thats like telling someone who genuinely likes something abnormal that what they like is too mainstream and theyre just pretending to like it

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Heh, reminds me of the presentation I had to do in college on conflict resolution. We had to show 3 or 4 (I forget) clips from TV shows or movies that show conflict and how it's resolved. They had to be specific types of resolution to go with whatever boring textbook chapter we were on.

I showed clips from Sledge Hammer!, Samurai Jack, and Clerks. There may have been a fourth, but I can't remember anymore.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Niblic said:
Duffeknol said:
duktapeman90 said:
Duffeknol said:
Socken said:
Duffeknol said:

Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Or that.
Oh god I hate you.

omg stop liking what i dont like
Exactly, when will people finally get this?