Student Rocks Out for Seven Hours, Breaks Rock Band 2 Record

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Student Rocks Out for Seven Hours, Breaks Rock Band 2 Record

University of Texas student, Matt Smith, has achieved a new record playing all 84 original songs in Rock Band 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001BX6JUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278950686&sr=1-2] on the drums in Expert mode.

According to Guinness World Records, the previous record score was a beefy 10,687,033. Not only did Smith beat that record, but he beat it with flying colors, scoring a whopping 14,727,919 points during his seven hour rock session.

"I had been playing for the past few years, but I bought the Guinness Book of World Records of 2009 around October of last year," explains Smith. "We were looking for records to break, and my friend showed me that one. I thought I could do it, so [October] was when I started working on it."

Since then, Smith has been practicing 45 minutes to an hour each day after classes. When the time came to break the record, Smith opted out of getting a Guinness World Records adjudicator to validate his attempts due to the $5000 price tag. Instead, he followed the alternate rules, collecting relevant media and expert testimony in the form of David Ramazani, Fry's Home Electronics software department manager and resident videogame expert.

The rules specified that at no point during the 84 song setlist could Smith pause the game and take a break, and friends couldn't step in to jam. This didn't stop Smith from making quick dashes to the water fountain between songs. Towards the end of the marathon, Smith claimed that he could no longer feel the foot working the pedal and he was just playing through the pain.

It will take about four to six weeks for the Guinness World Records to inform Smith if his attempt has been officially accepted.

Source: Fidgit [http://dailytexanonline.com/content/student-shatters-rock-band-record]

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Well that's certainly... impressive.

If they snub him out of this record I do believe it will be a great tragedy.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Lauren Admire said:
It will take about four to six weeks for the Guinness World Records to inform Smith if his attempt has been officially accepted.
Well it would officially suck if he wasn't...

They really have records for anything now don't they? I'm sure I could find some videogame related thing to break if necessary... maybe a group of us can get together and incrementally break some records so that we could repeatedly take advantage of the $5000 prize?

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
I...I just don't get it. They can't even pause long enough to take a piss???

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Aenir said:
I...I just don't get it. They can't even pause long enough to take a piss???
On PS3, there's a trophy called the "Iron Bladder Trophy" for playing the entire setlist without pausing. I'm sure 360 has an equivalent.

However, there are a few songs where you'd probably have time (The Trees comes to mind, as well as perhaps Pinball Wizard). That probably would have voided his world record though.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats deciation for you...now, he can go outside and live life!

Well...I know I couldnt do it!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I'm just now stepping from "Hard" into "Expert" on drums. This is a really difficult thing to do.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
That's hardcore. My hat goes off to the guy, and I hope he gets the credit where credit is due.

banddork

Sep 21, 2009
That's my school! Nice to know some of us are spending our time on important things. Hook 'Em Horns! :)

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
aaronmcc said:
If only this got him as many chicks as a real drummer
Don't kid yourself, I've been playing drums for 10 years and it gets me shit-all. I always tell people to be guitarists. They get more chicks. Always.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Blimey said:
aaronmcc said:
If only this got him as many chicks as a real drummer
Don't kid yourself, I've been playing drums for 10 years and it gets me shit-all. I always tell people to be guitarists. They get more chicks. Always.
you're shattering my illusions! :'(