Studio Buys Rights to Deus Ex: Human Revolution Movie

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Studio Buys Rights to Deus Ex: Human Revolution Movie

Adam Jensen may yet scowl his way to the big screen.

CBS Films, the Los Angeles-based film studio responsible for movies including Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and The Woman in Black, has just acquired the rights to make a film based on Eidos Montreal's well-received cyberpunk outing Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9084-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Review]. While we don't yet know how closely this prospective movie will relate to the sorry tale of Adam "I Never Asked For This" Jensen, it looks likely that the film will touch on the themes of conspiracy and control we saw in the game.

Phil Rogers, president and CEO of Human Revolution publishers Square Enix Europe, said, "As the millions of fans who have played the Deus Ex games for more than a decade will tell you, these games catapult you into a universe that is stimulating, engaging and relevant."

Happily, the team behind Human Revolution is set to take a very active role in crafting any film that comes of this deal. As has been noted frequently since the game's release, one of the standout elements of Human Revolution (I mean, apart from the arm-swords) was its incredibly detailed and consistent cyberpunk-Renaissance aesthetic, grounded in the developers' clever use of black, gold [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/4759-The-New-Black-Gold-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution], light, and angles. With the team from Eidos Montreal on board, it might not be too much to hope that these kinds of flourishes make it to the big screen.

Terry Press, co-president of CBS Films, is clear on the importance of the developers to this project. "As is clear from the wild success of the game, Square Enix and Eidos Montreal know how to exceed their audience's expectations by engineering incredible worlds," said Press. "No one knows Human Revolution like the team that created it, and we look forward to working with them from day one to make a film adaptation worthy of the Deus Ex name," he added.

That's about all there is for now. The film already has several producers on board - one of whom is apparently also working on film adaptations of Just Cause and Kane and Lynch - though there remain a great many vacancies. There's no telling whether or not this deal means that the Human Revolution movie will ever see the light of day; but if done well, it could really turn out to be something worthwhile. Or it could, y'know, be a disaster. Only time will tell.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056377]

chrisking69

Apr 4, 2010
IF this becomes a movie, I will be happy. If it becomes a crappy movie, I will be sad.

That much is obvious haha, I can't say anymore until we know whether or not the movie is coming.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
CBS Films
This does not fill me with confidence considering their current track record. Oh well I guess if everything balances in the end and this sucks it guarantees Michael Fassbender in AC will be nothing short of a masterpiece right? RIGHT?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
As I say with every movie/video game adaptation: It will either me amazing, or abso-fucking-lutely terrible. Given the nature of the Deus Ex story though, they should have something interesting enough to work with.

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
I'm scared. I think Deus Ex hinges on the (quite limited) mutability of the experience, presenting the world to you without preaching about how to view it. I fear a movie picking a side (likely Purity First) and pissing me right the fuck off.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Please by the nine divines let the be and let this be grand.
Adam Jensen may have never asked for this but I have.
I feel dirty for that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hevva said:
CBS Films, the Los Angeles-based film studio responsible for movies including Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and The Woman in Black, has just acquired the rights to make a film based on Eidos Montreal's well-received cyberpunk outing Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
CBS Films? Doing Deus Ex?
And right there they lost me.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
why all the hate for CBS? The Woman In Black is a fairly decent movie...

plus they have the guys from the studio who made the game keeping them on track...

The only way they could ruin this is if they got Michael "EXPLOSIONS" Bay to direct it and/or treated it like a normal action movie.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Good luck making your video game movie that will inevitably suck! Oh, what's that, you have the development team helping you out? Good, as soon as learn to make movies and not games maybe they can help you out!

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Number one, this will probably fail. History has shown it is likely. I WANT to be wrong though.
Number two, will the audience get to pick their ending voice over? Really is the biggest failing of the game.
Number three, you (CBS Films) will use the song "New Black and Gold" during the credits or their will be consequences. *shaking fist at screen*

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I hope they use the animation engine from the cut-scenes in the game rather than use live action.

I always thought it jarring when adaptations of games to movies used live action.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
CBS Films
CBS? One of America's largest and oldest media empires? Whose logo is an all seeing eye?

(I don't actually believe that they are the Illumanati, but I have a friend who listens to too much Alex Jones and swears that CBS is one of the many and more prominent globalist oligarchs that is bold enough to brag about it's origins with symbols.

SacremPyrobolum said:
I hope they use the animation engine from the cut-scenes in the game rather than use live action.

I always thought it jarring when adaptations of games to movies used live action.
Considering that Square Enix really wants to be a movie studio, and has tried it's hand with mixed critical and financial results through the Final Fantasy series (I blame the writing and acting) I think they should give it another shot using another IP and better writing and acting. I really enjoyed their Animatrix short, which proved they could make an enjoyable feature when people who understand English and human beings are involved.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Part of what makes Deus Ex so great is choice. You can choose how to play, how to interact with people, or where the story goes.
However, the design, story and characters are good enough to base a movie around. Let's just hope that they don't screw it up.
Also, it's going to be hard to get a voice actor as distinct as Elias Tousewhatevericantspellit. This is the problem with a lot of game movies where the in game voice actors are absolutely perfect.

EDIT: "Studio responsible for The Woman in Black"?
You just grabbed my enthusiasm by the throat and threw it through a window.
And then set the building on fire.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I'm not holding my breath, statistically video game films go into development hell 250% of the time and never come out.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Phishfood said:
Give this to Uwe Boll and I swear I will go all Liam Neeson on your ass....
That got me to chuckle.

OT: I really hope this is good, if it is, then we've shown that you CAN make a good video game to movie adaptation.