Study Awards Pokéwalker With Title of "Very Best"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver's Pokéwalker is a surprisingly accurate device when compared to other pedometers.

Anyone looking to have their steps accurately counted might want to just buy a copy of Pokémon Soulsilver [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303048797&sr=8-1] instead of a standalone pedometer. A recent study determined that the Pokéwalker included with the two games is more accurate than other products on the market.

Lorraine Lanningham-Foster of Iowa State University led the first of multiple studies to help determine how the Pokéwalker has helped its users become more active. The device caught her eye because of its potential to help kids through the connection to Pokémon and the Nintendo DS. "[The Pokéwalker] could just be another avenue for [kids] to be involved in active gaming," she said. Walking with the Pokéwalker can unlock new Pokémon and items in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Before continuing her work, Lanningham-Foster had to determine how well the device measured steps. As it turns out, the Pokéwalker was more accurate than two other standard pedometers that she tested. "It's very accurate and precise," she said of the Pokéwalker. "So as a tool that can be used to actually change behavior and a child can use to truly understand and learn about how much they're walking, it could be a good tool." Future studies will attempt to discover if Pokéwalker use has helped subjects get into the habit of walking more as opposed to before they were given HeartGold & SoulSilver.

It's nice to know that Nintendo didn't make a shoddy pedometer, but the device's accuracy probably stemmed from knowing the consequences of inaccurately measuring anything related to the gameplay of a hardcore Pokémon fan. Nintendo simply saved itself a lot of hate mail.

Source: Kotaku [http://thegazette.com/2011/04/15/pokewalker-beats-other-pedometers-in-iowa-state-study/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I agree, it was also frustratingly hard to mess with compared to other pedometers.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
I managed to 'complete' it late last year legitimately, and still think it's one of the best examples of gamification around to date. I used mine more than I spent playing the host game infact, taking it everywhere with me.

Oct 14, 2010
I performed some quick and dirty tests [http://www.leftstickright.com/index.php/2010/03/29/preventing-tall-grass-stains-fiddling-with-the-pokewalker/] of the Pokewalker against a standard pedometer, but nothing that would be as scientific as a university test. It's a great little unit, and I only wish they brought it over to Black and White.

Ceress

Jul 16, 2009
I guess the pokéwalker was the best...

*Sunglasses*

Like no one ever was

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Wait, I've remembered where my Togekiss is! Thanks for the reminder of the pokewalker!
Now I just need to find the thing again...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
J03bot said:
Wait, I've remembered where my Togekiss is! Thanks for the reminder of the pokewalker!
I'm pretty sure you can get the pokemon back as it was before using the pokewalker, I seem to remember doing it when my friend thought it was a great idea to see how my pokewalker fared when thrown out of the window.

He isn't my friend any more.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
You know....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtH2TIICgp0

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
TheEvilCheese said:
J03bot said:
I'm pretty sure you can get the pokemon back as it was before using the pokewalker, I seem to remember doing it when my friend thought it was a great idea to see how my pokewalker fared when thrown out of the window.

He isn't my friend any more.
Mine took a trip through the washing machine. Now it's buried somewhere under a pile of notes. Following your logic, I'm not my friend any more...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I got to admit I still using my (I'm almost close to uplocking the last route with Spiritomb in that route) so I guess it does make people more active.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Well I got to admit I still using my (I'm almost close to uplocking the last route with Spiritomb in that route) so I guess it does make people more active.
100 000 watts? nice. Thats two million steps, assuming you don't use ANY of them to find pokemon or items.

*applaud*

My friend kept hitting 9999 watts on his, he just transferred them to the DS every few months. Got maybe 40 000 before giving up?

Hmm, spiritomb you say? *Looks for pokewalker*

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
TheEvilCheese said:
Scarim Coral said:
100 000 watts? nice. Thats two million steps, assuming you don't use ANY of them to find pokemon or items.

*applaud*

My friend kept hitting 9999 watts on his, he just transferred them to the DS every few months. Got maybe 40 000 before giving up?

Hmm, spiritomb you say? *Looks for pokewalker*
Well I still got a few weeks until I unlock the last route basing from my average walking activity although I planning to see with my mate in the city soon (I usually get 600-1000 watts from going to the city). The last route got Spiritomb although the encounter rate is 1% but you have to walk over 10,000 to even encounter it (by this time you may as use up the watts to encounter it).

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
too bad i tricked mine by sliding it on my sock and letting my twitching do the work
Ahh genius, my feet twitch all the time.

Yeah don't mess with the hardcore pokmeon crowd, between counting egg steps, IVS, EVs... these steps need to be pretty damn accurate.

Now where's that Jolly 252/252/4 31 IV'd Garchomp?