Study Claims Smelling Farts Could Prevent Cancer and Other Diseases

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Study Claims Smelling Farts Could Prevent Cancer and Other Diseases

Scientists at the University of Exeter claim that the smell of farts can offer health benefits when it comes to cancer, diabetes, stroke and other diseases.

In what could possibly be one of the weirdest science/health news I've heard in a long while, scientists out of the University of Exeter claim that smelling farts, could prevent cancer and other diseases. And yes this isn't a joke post or something someone found on humor websites. In a press release by the university, Dr. Mark Wood mentions farts as a "healthcare hero."

Although hydrogen sulfide is well known as a pungent, foul-smelling gas in rotten eggs and flatulence, it is naturally produced in the body and could in fact be a healthcare hero with significant implications for future therapies for a variety of diseases.

While farts can be noxious in large doses, the scientists who conducted the study think that smelling it in small doses can help lower the risk of cancer, strokes, heart attacks, arthritis, and dementia by preserving mitochondria. Not only that, but researchers are even concocting their own compounds to emulate a fart's "health benefits." According to a study by Professor Matt Whiteman in the Medicinal Chemistry Communications journal, "We have exploited this natural process by making a compound, called AP39, which slowly delivers very small amounts of this gas specifically to the mitochondria," and adds, their "results indicate that if stressed cells are treated with AP39, mitochondria are protected and cells stay alive."

Unfortunately, the study doesn't go into specific detail into just how much flatulence one must be exposed to in order to reap these benefits. But given farts are free, and assuming you have a high tolerance for toxic smells, why not smell them all? So, the next time you want to rip a big one in an enclosed space, show the people around you this post to let them know you're just helping them live a little longer.

Source: TIME [http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_393168_en.html]

lvramire

Nov 11, 2010
Alex Co said:
So, the next time you want to rip a big one in an enclosed space, show the people around you this post to let them know you're just helping them live a little longer.
What point is there in living longer if the thing keeping you alive makes you wish for death?

Oh science, the things you do sometimes.

lvramire

Nov 11, 2010
In the future, maybe there'll exist a system for payment/donation/collection for farts such as currently exists for blood/sperm. Quality tests, questionnaires, "fart drives" at your local health center etc.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Usually I'm not this crude. And I'm sure most of this is based on proper science.

But this study can go fuck itself.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
First thought: Who thought up this idea and decided to test it!?

Second thought: Would anyone want to consume a fart in pill form?

Third thought: Thunderpants could save the world!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Vareoth said:
Usually I'm not this crude. And I'm sure most of this is based on proper science.
Since none of the sources provided a link to an actual study that I could find, it's impossible to determine if this is based on proper science or not, and I would never assume it is with something like this. I've seen too many bullshit nutrition and health studies in my time to ever take an article like this at face value, and no one else should either.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Vareoth said:
Since none of the sources provided a link to an actual study that I could find, it's impossible to determine if this is based on proper science or not, and I would never assume it is with something like this. I've seen too many bullshit nutrition and health studies in my time to ever take an article like this at face value, and no one else should either.
Yea, since I didn't feel like conducting any more research on this I just gave them the benefit of the doubt. There was also a slight hint of sarcasm intended. But that doesn't translate well.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if this study was a load of pseudoscientific nonsense.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok that is a great photo!

OT- Err yeah good luck trying to convince other to cotinue on with this reseach.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Huh? Where does the study claim that smelling farts will do anything?

As far as I got it, they discovered that a certain chemical compound - which happens to be in farts - can prevent cancer if it is applied to the mitochondria. These are puny parts of cells. I don't see how smelling is related to that.

That would be like saying "eating stones is healthy for your bones, because bones contain calcium and stones do too!"

... Damn it, Escapist. I got click-baited, didn't I? If you want to report on science stuff, maybe you should stop making up things?

Edit: Never mind. TIME did it first. Gods... What the internet is going to journalism is horrible.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Exterminas said:
Huh? Where does the study claim that smelling farts will do anything?

As far as I got it, they discovered that a certain chemical compound - which happens to be in farts - can prevent cancer if it is applied to the mitochondria. These are puny parts of cells. I don't see how smelling is related to that.

That would be like saying "eating stones is healthy for your bones, because bones contain calcium and stones do too!"

... Damn it, Escapist. I got click-baited, didn't I? If you want to report on science stuff, maybe you should stop making up things?

Edit: Never mind. TIME did it first. Gods... What the internet is going to journalism is horrible.
Eating calcium DOES benefit your health. Rocks are probably best to avoid eating, given the intestinal damage that would follow, but it is healthy to consume calcium rich foods.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I have also heard that picking your nose and eating it helps your immune system since germs and viruses get trapped in the mucus in there. Strange how all these nasty impolite habits are actually good for you.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
There you go everyone, if you want to prevent cancer then avoid water bottles, birth control pills, paint, babies, the outside world, and keep up your daily regiment of fart smelling. Then probably get cancer anyway, because life hates you.

We all die. You just have to pick your poison.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Well, so I am actually improving my wife's health every night? One could say I'm a hero.