Study Claims Videogame Mechanics Persist in Real Life

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
undo buttons, search bars, double-clicking things to select all of them in the area, yeah i'm covered in this thing.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
Rylot said:
Seems like they just interviewed crazy people. I've played games to the point that they'd keep going in my head, but I've never thought of myself as in a game or still playing a game when I put the controller down, no matter how long I gamed.
I'm with Rylot on this ... I'd put money on selective choices for their interviews.

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Well.. No, not to the extent as of grabbing for things that isn't there, though I tend to remain in the same "strategic" mindset a good week after 3-6 hours of non-stop gaming, good thing it only happens monthly.

But then again who knew humans had short-term memory?

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not quite sure I've experienced this with gaming stuff...

But I HAVE reached for "ctrl + S" on a non-existent keyboard while writing homework by hand before.... XD

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
Reaching for an imaginary search bar when looking for people in a crowd? I don't even understand how that would make sense or even what that would look like. This "study" doesn't even make sense. Sure if I'm trying to remember how to do a trick in Skate when I'm telling someone about the game I imagine a controller in my hands and do the trick, but that doesn't mean when I'm looking at a dinner menu I'm picturing a white-gloved hand pointing to the items as I go down the page.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
I am pretty much the perfect example of this study.
Too much New Vegas and I'll try to enter VATS.
Too much Minecraft I start to see things in terms of building with blocks.
Too much Portal and I start to see potalable surfaces then I become sad when I realise I do not own a portal gun.
Too much Assassin's Creed 2 I focus on my social stealth.
ANY survival horror game will cause a very extended period of time where I pay attention to even the slightest noise.
Too much Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines and my interactions with women while smoother are far more awkward.

Edit: Also has anyone else tried to double jump?

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
They say "frequent gamers" were the target of the study, clearly what they meant to say was obsessive gamers... I mean c'mon, reaching for a controller? Seeing HP bars? Sounds like some sort of dissociative disorder. I spend over 90% of my time gaming, or working on my PC, never have I had an episode like this. I have personally witnessed people with this sort of issue, and they were either "permafried" from drug abuse, or actually had a diagnosed dissociative disorder. This might have some correlation between the obsessive gaming behavour, and the GTP.

Also, I blame the schools, and the parents, they're both on the downfall as far as quality goes. I bet if they tested older gamers, they wouldn't find such disturbing results. If people mentioned their ages here with their claims of personal experience with this, you'd probably find many of them are of the younger crowd (sub 25~, and I've been looking at people's profiles myself to see if this is so.)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dont know if this is the same but once, I went for a walk/run on my parents farm, which at the time looked a bit like the mojave wasteland

I listened to "ranger w/ the big iron on his hip" and "shdow of the valley" on my ipod.....it was a very bizare experience

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Phlakes said:
I try to pres Ctrl+Z when I make a mistake while drawing. It comes with being a pixel artist.

But also FUCK NO GET THE 'GAMES CAUSE VIOLENCE' ADVOCATES OUT NOW!
I was sat at a computer at school designing something, when I finished I pressed CTRL+S to save it

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Just before I speak I always imagine pressing T to open the chat and then shift to make a capital letter! God damn Minecraft, get out of my head. Other then that I try to use /undo a lot.
I think I play games a little too often.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Hmmm... this all sounds very bizarre :D

The only thing close to this I can think of is carrying some of my racing game practice into use on the road... though the flying games seem to influence the bike riding more.

Going for a search bar or joypad whilst being out and about is very odd indeed.

That said, in unguarded moments I can be caught "driving" myself around if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere on foot, complete with powerslides (rrrm rrrm... screee! :D), playing a variety of imaginary instruments along to an epic piece of music, gee-ing up my (slow!) bike like it's a horse, or winding up an air-spring (clock, or jack-in-the-box style) on a chugging computer. Maybe it's a generational thing as to what things affect you in this way? I wonder if our grandparents also do/did it, but with different things we'd barely recognise if we looked for them?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Ill be honest with ya, i have tried a few times where i was thinking "better reload my last save"

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Ha considering I work at a supermarket packing bags (Australia btw) I do like to think I am playing tetris with peoples items. Apart from that though the only time this ever really happens to me is when I'm in a stressful situation and I analyse an area (like I'm playing a game e.g. cover, GOW) OR when I am talking to a girl I like and a conversation wheel pops up in my head...

Does this mean games are the next skynet???

AbnormalFetus

Sep 11, 2009
I have only seen this in myself when i play games that involve driveing cars. Not like seeing hp bars or reching for a controller. But driveing after playing games like GTA or GT sometimes feels wierd like; - Why am i driveing so slow, and feeling like i can just pass in between to cars on a bussey city street. Ofc i never act on this "feeling". Other then driveing i dont really transfer game mecanics into real life, but drawing on a pice of paper i will adrmit i can forget i dont have a ctr+z function, but i do have erazers.

When i comes to dreams its a totaly different story. After "binging" on a game i will quite often sett my dreams in the same universe or transfer the game mecanics into real world senarios. But i cant say thats surprising or even strange considering the nature of dreaming.

I will say that this sounds like a interesting field to study more. Our brains work in strange ways and it would be intersting to see how our interaction with a interactive media like games can change our internal prossesing logic.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Too bad I don't use the quick-save function to quick-load whenever I fuck up.