Study Details Four-Day, 11-Pound Weight Loss in Overweight Men

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"eight hours of strolling the countryside" ....per day? 0.0

The wording sure made it sound that way, though I hope they really meant per week.

Personally I just did simple stuff like switching from regular soda to zero calorie stuff and that alone was enough to see a noticeable drop in my weight. Still have a bit of a belly though because I don't do situps more often which I really should :p

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Short term unhealthiness is better than long term unhealthiness.

Whilst, obviously you should take your time with losing weight, losing weight is never a bad thing.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
What, is escapist running diet advertisement now or something?
15 overweight men who were restricted to 360 daily calories
yeah, thats not healthy at all. they weren getting enough calories to even run their brains. can leave permanent damage very quickly.

wulfy42 said:
If you have set your life up in a way that you are happy, that is the best way to lose weight. Focus on food, making yummy food you really enjoy, spend energy and time making it, and you will end up with more energy and you'll end up being happy with the weight loss process.
but making yummy food is what got me into beign fat in the first place! now i have to eat bad tasting vegetables and stuff. really, my tastes for food is really something thats never gonig to be healthy, but i prefer health>taste

Seanchaidh said:
And this diet is cheap, like wow it is so cheap.
Starvation is cheap until health disorders kick in.

By making yummy food, I don't mean unhealthy food, I mean making healthy food as yummy as possible:)

Trust me, my go to food basically revolved around steaks, pizza, burgers, more pizza, lasagna and lots of chineese (the food not the people). I did not eat healthy at all till a few years after getting married. Till I was 27 I could eat as much as I wanted and never gain a pound, and I ate a TON (my 3 best friends...who would hang out with me every weekend for most of that time ate less all together then me usually).

It was quite hard to change my eating habits after my metabolism slowed down at 27. First I gained about 30 pounds (all in my gut), and then, after another decade of mostly driving everywhere...and not watching my diet much, I gained another 20-30 (I would constantly fluxuate between 270-280.

Even though I would exersize..and I was being careful how much I ate...I still wouldn't drop below 270. My legs where in great shape (could be a leg model lol), but I couldn't get my gut to go down. Very frustrating.

Eventually I decided to stop just "trying to diet" and take it seriously. I used the methods I mentioned above, no more soda, no pizza (or very very rarely and not half a large etc), including veggies in my meals etc.

The whole spend time to make yummy meals was meant to say, spend the extra time it takes to make your meals yummy. I'm not a big veggie fan, never was, but with enough time and love you can make some VERY yummy veggie dishes. Same goes for chicken at home for instance, or fish (orange roughy was always good, but cod will work in a pinch) etc. Neither of those where meats I really loved, but....with the right spices and preparation, I can make food I look forward to eating.

I guess basically what I'm saying is you can make healthy food taste good, and make yourself look forward to eating it...if you spend the time it takes to prepare it to your taste. It's more work to make really tasty food (that isn't throwing a steak on a grill which is always good to me heh)....but it's worth it. The extra energy you spend making the meal is a good thing as well. The energy you spend shopping for fresh ingredients both burns calories, and keeps you motivated, it's almost like hunting for your meals each day heh.

I guess my biggest point is that people should aim for a diet that they enjoy, that isn't work for them, and that they don't need to feel like "Is the results worth it?" all the time. If you find a lifestyle that you enjoy, then it won't be hard to maintain it.

If your overweight it can be hard to have extra energy, to be positive about things (everyone is different of course), and it can be easy to focus on dieting like it's a chore, or something you HAVE to do. I suggest trying to find a form of exersize you enjoy, be it Dance Dance Revolution, Water aroebics, Table Tennis, Yoga/Martial arts of some kind, Hiking, Swimming etc. Try and find something you enjoy. Don't rush everywhere, take time to walk around when you can. Don't always use your car if you don't have to. Find ways to burn calories that fit into your life and that you at least don't mind doing, if not enjoy. Then focus on your food. Spend time and energy finding healthy meals that you actually LIKE. Make them yourself and they will taste better. Don't go for the pre-packaged diet meals etc...I know some people have had success with them, but I would rather eat cardboard pretty much. They never worked for my wife because she only liked a few of them, and would often eat more then one (which defeats the purpose).

My wife went from around 500 pounds to just about 300 so far. My mother before she died went from 700+ to about 350. I cooked for both of them, and that was a big reason they lost so much weight. I also motivated them to move, and do water areobics (at their starting weight it was the only real option for burning calories).

My weight was never extreme, but my ideal weight for my size is 220 pounds and I'm within 20-30 pounds of that regularly now. Still have a bit of a gut, but with most shirts it's not noticable anymore at least. I'm in decent shape (could run a mile) and have more energy. I don't drink soda or alcohol, and I eat a salad before every dinner. I generally just have a bananna for breakfast (I know they say it's the most important meal, but for years I skipped it all together. I compromised by having fruit for breakfast).

I'm pushing into higher gear starting next month, having me and my wife work out twice a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon fairly close to dinner time). That may help get us over the last hump...and drop off the last 20 pounds or so for me, and the last 100 or so for my wife. She had a long recovery due to being bed bound for 2 1/2 years from necrotizing faciatice, it was all I could do to just maintain her weight at that point, so she has lost about 100 pounds in the last year or so. That is all due to diet and exersize. No pills, no program, just plain eating right/healthy, and moving. She also went from not being able to stand, to being able to get in a wheelchair, to using a walker, to using a cane only now.

It is possible to lose weight and for the process to be pleasant. My wife (I love her), is not the best at doing things she does not like. My fault since I have spoiled her for 14 years. The solution was to find ways to motivate her and keep the process from becoming a chore. If you can find ways to prepare veggies that you enjoy, they are very filling, but quite healthy. I'd say focus on that for your meals more then anything else at first....once you have that down you can expand on the other portions, but having yummy veggies as part of your meals is key.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Seanchaidh said:
Strazdas said:
Seanchaidh said:
I'm not starving, though. It's really efficient on the calories per dollar.
bread and peanutbutter does not contain all that human body needs.
The Lunatic said:

Whilst, obviously you should take your time with losing weight, losing weight is never a bad thing.
No its not if the short term unhealthyness has permanent effects leading to long term unhealthyness.
Also, fat =/= unhealthy. I am 100KG+ and completely healthy. There are many better ways to loose weight than killing yourself with starvating and muscle tearing.

Also no, loosing weight can be a bad thing. when the weight your loosing comes from anything other than water and body fat. in this case we saw less than half being body fat, which would mean a lot of muscles were damaged.

wulfy42 said:
By making yummy food, I don't mean unhealthy food, I mean making healthy food as yummy as possible:)
thats the thing though, healthy food is not yummy :(

And yeah you typed a lot after that and i agree with most of it. What so far i guess is working for me is i restricted my candy quantity to 5 per day and started walking home from work on foot every other day (its a 2.5 hour walk, over 8 kilometers). i havent felt a change myself but others have asked me if om doing some diet because apparently i look like im loosing weight.

Fenrox Jackson said:
Wow so you won't read but you will argue with everyone. Classy. What is this font of wisdom you pull from? Your American High School health class? Oh yes, I can see how you know all there is to know about diets you refuse to read about.
read what? your lunacy about calory restriction which i already pointed out to be wrong or your wikipedia articles which i read and even commented on.
I never claimed i know all there is to know about dies, only that huge caloric deficits and starvation is not a healthy way to loose weight. Also nice generalization of all americans as fat, but had you really tried you would have seen in my profile that i am from Europe.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Strazdas said:
The Lunatic said:

No its not if the short term unhealthyness has permanent effects leading to long term unhealthyness.
Also, fat =/= unhealthy. I am 100KG+ and completely healthy. There are many better ways to loose weight than killing yourself with starvating and muscle tearing.

Also no, loosing weight can be a bad thing. when the weight your loosing comes from anything other than water and body fat. in this case we saw less than half being body fat, which would mean a lot of muscles were damaged.
Uhhh, okay. I'm not sure about that.

I've seen no evidence that you can be obese and healthy.

Infact, there's pretty much all evidence pointing towards the opposite.

Whilst, sure, you may not feel unhealthy, that doesn't mean being overweight isn't incredibly bad for you.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
The Lunatic said:
Uhhh, okay. I'm not sure about that.

I've seen no evidence that you can be obese and healthy.

Infact, there's pretty much all evidence pointing towards the opposite.

Whilst, sure, you may not feel unhealthy, that doesn't mean being overweight isn't incredibly bad for you.
Obesity has increased risk of certain type of health disorders (for example ones related to heart), however in itself it is not unhealthy. in fact statistically overweight (but not obese) people are healthier than thin ones.
and i know i am healthy because that was tested, not because "i feel good".

being overweight isnt increadible bad for you. its worse than not being overweight, but its not some terrible plague like aids.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I'd say being overweight ...to a large enough degree to be considered obese is unhealthy for a variety of reasons. I'm not saying everyone needs to be stick figures at all, and having an extra 20-30 pounds does not count as being unhealthy in my books, but if you have a hard time moving around because of the extra weight, then it can be hard (and often keep getting harder) to live a healthy life style.

My wife gained weight due to having to take so much insulin (She is insulin resistant so she had to take alot), but my mom gained most of her weight because she simply stopped moving around once it became hard to do so. She hired people to do everything for her and never left the house...and eventually her room.

The more weight you gain, the more energy it takes to do things, and often the less energy you have...which can cause a vicious cycle.

Then high weight often leads to diabetes, sleep apnia *sp*, heart problems, breathing problems, complications for surgeries etc.

I'd say most people would be ok with my current weight, any more weight loss is mostly cosmetic for me...but I want to go back to mountain climbing/white water rafting etc...and doing so with an extra 30 pounds....and over 40....isn't going to be that much fun. I'm not "unhealthy" at this weight, but it is restricting me from doing some things I want to in life (which is mentally unhealthy!!).

Still, it's why I think it's best to find a lifestyle...diet and exersize...that you enjoy instead of just a "diet". It's way easier that way...not work, but just part of what you enjoy in life.

Diet is really emphasized by so many..when it's really the amount of calories you burn per day, and how active you are that makes the biggest difference. Many VERY fit people eat tons of calories. Atheletes eat tons of food for instance...if your are burning enough calories it'll work out fine, the hard part is getting fit enough to be able to burn those calories on a regular basis.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Strazdas said:
Seanchaidh said:
Strazdas said:
Seanchaidh said:
I'm not starving, though. It's really efficient on the calories per dollar.
bread and peanutbutter does not contain all that human body needs.
Yes, that's why there is orange juice. And breakfast cereal.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
wulfy42 said:
I'd say being overweight ...to a large enough degree to be considered obese is unhealthy for a variety of reasons. I'm not saying everyone needs to be stick figures at all, and having an extra 20-30 pounds does not count as being unhealthy in my books, but if you have a hard time moving around because of the extra weight, then it can be hard (and often keep getting harder) to live a healthy life style.

My wife gained weight due to having to take so much insulin (She is insulin resistant so she had to take alot), but my mom gained most of her weight because she simply stopped moving around once it became hard to do so. She hired people to do everything for her and never left the house...and eventually her room.

The more weight you gain, the more energy it takes to do things, and often the less energy you have...which can cause a vicious cycle.
well i am obese and i can sprint longer than most video game characters. i cant run a marathonof course, but i wouldnt say i cant move around. your mother seems to be an extreme case not representative of the whole.

Its true that to keep big body around you use more energy just living and thus often you may feel you have less energy left. you have a point with possibilty to abuse here but thats ahrdly for everyone.

Then high weight often leads to diabetes, sleep apnia *sp*, heart problems, breathing problems, complications for surgeries etc.
Obese people have increased risk of having these problems, does not mean that being obese is the cause though. They also have decreased risk in some other disorders, for example statistically fat people have less nerve related problems or mood related disorders.

Still, it's why I think it's best to find a lifestyle...diet and exersize...that you enjoy instead of just a "diet". It's way easier that way...not work, but just part of what you enjoy in life.
What if the only excercise i like is walking and even if i waked 24 hours a day i wouldnt "Walk off" the food i enjoy? Any attempts to loose weight for me is lowering my enjoyment in life, and i ahve to weight it as a tradeoff of potential disease risk. Being fit is simply not for everyone. Yes if you want to climb mountains your going to make the sacrifice of loosing weight to do that. me on the other hand would be happy if i could sit in front of PC my whole life.

Diet is really emphasized by so many..when it's really the amount of calories you burn per day, and how active you are that makes the biggest difference. Many VERY fit people eat tons of calories. Atheletes eat tons of food for instance...if your are burning enough calories it'll work out fine, the hard part is getting fit enough to be able to burn those calories on a regular basis.
This is very true here, but everyone wants an easy way out when lacking knowledge of starvation results.

Seanchaidh said:
Yes, that's why there is orange juice. And breakfast cereal.
While orange juice and breakfast cereal does have some required minerals and vitamins, they are not all that your body needs. what happened for you is you really ran on your vitamin storage (altrough technically the body does not store vitamins, there is amount circulating in system that can last humans for quite some time, thats how humans defend against "winter with no food" to continue having enough vitamins. didnt always work of course, hence why the life expectancy was much lower back then. but evolution did its best).

You can live like that for a year and feel fine, even more often. does not mean your body was fine, it was just in survival mode.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Fenrox Jackson said:
You said that death was a positive effect, you can't read son. But thanks for saying that you don't know everything on diets, the first step is admission. The second is reading comprehension. See you can't JUST read the words, you have to let their meanings sink in and then you have to make decisions based on those meanings. Maybe find a youtube video that will explain it to you? Anyway, you are wrong, 600-1000 calories is a fine diet and your inability to process new information doesn't change that.
I admit i have misread that entry in wikipedia.

ech, so we are going from 400 calories all the way up to 1000 now? yes, 1000 is fine if your not doing physical work. 400 - no way son.