Study Finds That Humans Get Weirdly Aroused When They Touch Robots

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Study Finds That Humans Get Weirdly Aroused When They Touch Robots

A study has found that humans become aroused when they touch robots on what would be their genital region or buttocks.

People are strange. - The Doors

Researches in California have discovered that humans have a very interesting response to touching robots on particular spots - they become aroused. The adorable little humanoid robot informed participants that it would ask them to either touch or point to certain areas on its body. When the volunteer touched areas where the robot's buttocks or genitals would be, there was a "measurable" response of arousal.

"Our work shows that robots are a new form of media that is particularly powerful. It shows that people respond to robots in a primitive, social way," Jamy Li, the mechanical engineer at Stanford University in California who led the study, told The Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/05/touching-robots-can-arouse-humans-study-finds]. "Social conventions regarding touching someone else's private parts apply to a robot's body parts as well. The research has implications for both robot design and the theory of artificial systems."

The study included ten volunteers - four female and six male - who participated in 26 different trials. The arousal occurred only when touching the "less accessible" areas and not when pointing to them.

This isn't the first time we've seen this type of robot in action - in July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141630-Adorable-Robot-From-Rensselaer-Polytechnic-Institute-Shows-Self-Awareness] the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's AI and Reasoning Lab recorded an instance where one was, quite adorably, self-aware.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Oh, behave...

Are we sure that it's not more about the areas and less about the robots themselves?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess it's sort of a kinkier cyber version of spin the bottle.

By the way, does this mean we'll soon enter an age where robots will teach us lonely, inexperienced nerds how to love? Cause... I-I'm okay with that.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
FalloutJack said:
Are we sure that it's not more about the areas and less about the robots themselves?
Honestly this guy seems to have the right idea. I feel they should try robots of other designs without said features or perhaps other things like dummies or vaguely human shaped figures before drawing the conclusion that we want to fuck robots.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Clearly it's Robomisogyny, and I want to be on record saying I'm not ok with it. Hear that future AI over lords? >_> <_<

*Edit* on second thought, if the AI learns from the internet, there's every chance it'll turn out exceptionally perverted.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I.... don't think this really has anything to do with robots. You could substitute Robots with Action figures, or fluffy toys and the effects would be the same.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
As someone already said it, I'm pretty sure it's about the area rather than the robot itself. Change robot with action figgure or doll and you will get the same result.

WinterWyvern said:
.....You mean we DIDN'T know this yet? Dhu, did it need a study? Really?
Make something human-shaped, your brain thinks it's human even if it's not (and even if you know it's not). That's how dolls work. Heck, that's how videogames work too.

Fun fact: this

...is only a few circles and colors, but your brain will get an emotional response of unhappyness.

And now look at this

And see how your
facial muscles smile.
I think it's not about "knowing" that. It's about proving that. Until this study (if it's the first of its kind, but I doubt that), we didn't really know, at best we could assume it to be true. But the study gave proof to the theory.
Also the 2nd smiley is bad. Didn't smile, 1/10.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Honestly, humans are just freaky sexual animals. We have those who are aroused by human looking animals and those aroused by pony's and those aroused by... feet. Robots just seem like foreplay. A starter meal in a very long sexually edible 3 course sex meal.

Can Futurama stop predicting things to be true for one second please. The creators were like,

"let's just over exaggerate the future and point out how silly and stupid they are".

And scientist are like,

"let's make this an actual thing".

Bad humans. Naughty humans.

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
BiH-Kira said:
As someone already said it, I'm pretty sure it's about the area rather than the robot itself. Change robot with action figgure or doll and you will get the same result.

WinterWyvern said:
.....You mean we DIDN'T know this yet? Dhu, did it need a study? Really?
Make something human-shaped, your brain thinks it's human even if it's not (and even if you know it's not). That's how dolls work. Heck, that's how videogames work too.

Fun fact: this

...is only a few circles and colors, but your brain will get an emotional response of unhappyness.

And now look at this

And see how your
facial muscles smile.
I think it's not about "knowing" that. It's about proving that. Until this study (if it's the first of its kind, but I doubt that), we didn't really know, at best we could assume it to be true. But the study gave proof to the theory.
Also the 2nd smiley is bad. Didn't smile, 1/10.
I don't necessarily disagree, and without more information I can only speculate. However, the fact that the volunteers were directly asked by the robot to touch them on those particular areas may have had an impact on it as well. I would like to see this expanded on, where people were just touching random areas, and then were instructed by a separate party to touch those areas. It could be about the area, or it could be about something that looks human-ish asking you outright to touch their junk.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Caramel Frappe said:
This should surprise me, but it doesn't ... humans are known to get aroused by almost anything.
Parasondox said:
Honestly, humans are just freaky sexual animals.
Yeah, the title could've just been "Study Finds That Humans Get Weirdly Aroused". Thank evolution for making our sexual reproduction based on visual and tactile stimuli and imagination rather than simple phermonal triggering. "Can I stick that in me/stick me in that?"

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I guess it's sort of a kinkier cyber version of spin the bottle.

By the way, does this mean we'll soon enter an age where robots will teach us lonely, inexperienced nerds how to love? Cause... I-I'm okay with that.
Not if social "scientists" have any say in the matter. There is already a push to ban the development of sexbots.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34118482

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hey! What an adult robot and human do and feel for each other in their own time is their own business! Love/lust is a strange sexy beast, we shouldn't judge these emergent relationship properties that may be benificial towards our incessant need to reproduce till we die. Now where's my darling toaster...

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Lizzy Finnegan said:
People are strange. - The Doors
I prefer "There's nowt so queer as folk".

OT: Are we certain that it isn't just the mention of genitals etc. that causes the mild arousal?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Please. I've known that I've wanted to fuck Optimus Prime since I first saw Transformers animated.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
This should surprise me, but it doesn't ... humans are known to get aroused by almost anything.

If aliens came to Earth, humans would make love to them if the opportunity presented itself. If mythical creatures came into existance and they looked remotely human, we'd do the same thing to them. So when robots / androids eventually become a thing, we'll try making love to them too >_> we're horny creatures after all.
Everything is a fetish to somebody.

OT: Yea, I really can't say I'm surprised by this. The research was done in America and sex is considered a taboo for whatever reason and something you don't discuss nearly as openly as in other countries. I suppose it'd only be considered reasonable by extension, parts that are stereo-typically considered "sexy" would cause arousal. Even if the thing being touched seems to be a very early predecessor to Avina from Mass Erect... erm, Effect.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:

If aliens came to Earth, humans would make love to them if the opportunity presented itself. If mythical creatures came into existance and they looked remotely human, we'd do the same thing to them. So when robots / androids eventually become a thing, we'll try making love to them too >_> we're horny creatures after all.
Your avatar is proof that humans will try and fuck anything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
hudsonzero said:
Do not fist the android girls

In Soviet Fallout android fists you!

Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey! What an adult robot and human do and feel for each other in their own time is their own business! Love/lust is a strange sexy beast, we shouldn't judge these emergent relationship properties that may be benificial towards our incessant need to reproduce till we die. Now where's my darling toaster...

This entire subject could be memed forever. Seriously though, this is like doing a study to find out of people generally think water is wet. I've seen quite a few studies like this within the last year or so about trying to find out things that are more than obvious enough that it shouldn't need a study to find out.