Stunning New Deus Ex Trailer Shows Off a Little Gameplay

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Vern said:
I had just one question from the video. How could he drag a body while holding his handgun with both hands?
He's obviously using another cybernetically enhanced bodypart which is just out of shot....

Firia said:
What's with all the hate on Page 1? Oh wah, it's got a limited color scheme. It's graphics are not as top notch as the most current top notch game right now. Is has a cover system. There is action.

Why can't people just take what they see at face value, and judge after they've played the game? I'm excited, and I've seen the same stuff everyone else has seen. I'm not going to pass judgment on it based on 2.3 minutes of footage. Lets just wait and see. :p Everyone slow the Hate Train, and just chill. :)
I'm with you on this. The game is work in progress so the graphics aren't representative of the final game. Cover systems are quite good for stealthy approaches because you can hide behind cover. Would people rather see a two minute trailer of the main character hiding behind a bin? NO! Because that would be boring, but throw in a bit of action and the gameplay seems a bit more interesting. It'll be several months until this game is released which gives us plenty of time to see a trailer showcasing the RPG elements.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
For everyone worried about too much action (or not enough choice), remember that looks can be deceiving. Anyone remember the trailers for Inglorious Basterds?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The "too much action" thing is such naive drivel. Every time there is an add/trailer for anything remotely science-fictiony it always focuses on the action. It does not represent the actual content.

Yellow colour palette was a bit too much, but hell, i've seen worse.

Cover based shooting? Big whoop, it makes combat a bit more fluid and tactically sound as you can survey a fire fight before rearing your head. So what if GoW made it first (which it didn't). I hated that game for vastly different reasons.

Lack of rpg elements... I'm mixed in opinions on this, on one side it frees up development of a branching story line, but restricts player input to character development. To be honest, not much of a loss in Deus Ex as you get a predefined character to start with.

Regenerating health. It was in the original, you just needed an aug to use it. Makes tons more sense that it's passive and automatic (therefore reactive) rather then manual (it's the future... everything should be automatic).

My hopes are still high, from what I've seen I'm already convinced I'll get it. Heck, I got AvP and enjoyed it immensely, it would take some pretty phenomenal fuck ups to make me not like it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I Googled around until I found the leaked footage
looks good, definitely a change of pace for me if I were to pick up this game

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Ummm wow I felt like I just went back to 2007 I hope this is a really early build cause damn...

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Definitely on my "Will Get" games list ^~^! The trailer looks awesome >~<!

Guthie

Oct 12, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Kind of looks like a cross between Mass Effect 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 in design. Looks rather generic in the FPS gameplay sections, then again I doubt we have seen anything yet. Looks like the finished product will be something special indeed.
Yeah, my very first impression of the trailer was that the graphic design was ripped from MGS4, then they replaced the dusty brown with neon yellow. It also reminded me somewhat of Dark Sector. Still, I'm excited. The takedowns can really go one of two ways: either they're a frustrating reuse of the same animation over and over and over (like Dark Sector), or there's a dozen context-sensitive takedowns for each enemy - a la Tenchu Z - which would be awesome.

The latter would make melee combat vastly more useful than in DX1, where you essentially had to flail around with any weapon besides the Dragon Sword because of the jumpy AI and strange hit detection with the shorter melee weapons. Being able to fight unarmed would be nice, too. God knows I just wanted to slug Anna in the face a few times just for grating my nerves with her smarminess.

I think the inclusion of the ventilation shaft was a nod to everyone (like me) who shuffled through every vent in DX1 looking for back doors and goodies. It's been pointed out that the trailer's too action-y, but I think it's mostly to hook the FPS crowd. I don't know why they feel compelled to do so when they should've known it would piss off the stealth/RPG/Deus Ex junkie crowd, but whatever. Anyway, I think the vent was added to the trailer to let the stealth lovers know they hadn't been forgotten. At least, that's what I'm telling myself to help me sleep at night.

It does suffer from horrible SW prequel syndrome. Adam Jensen could probably take on both the Denton brothers and Gunther with one hand tied behind his back unless some of the augs shown are offered late in the game or are fully/mostly upgraded.

As for auto-regening health, it makes me sad. Like some people have pointed out, health regen was an option about halfway through DX1. To get it you had to not take an energy shield that protected you from fire/electricity/plasma damage, so it was a pretty tough choice to make. However, health continued to regenerate even while taking damage, so it wasn't necessary to go hide for ten seconds to get all your health back. Unlike in GoW where getting buzzed by a nearby gnat halts the health regen process, DX1 regen was either fully ON or fully off which I thought was pretty sweet. But it did cost a chunk of energy and it did flash the screen blue every time you regained health just to spazz you out, so it was pretty well-balanced.

Taking out the energy cost while adding the necessity to cower like a puppy to make sure you keep regening is a copout IMO. It takes a good tactical decision and replaces it with an obnoxious one. Plus, unless you really tried to play it like an FPS you never had to worry too much about running out of health packs in DX1. There were medbots stationed frequently enough that 5 kits plus one level in medical training were more than enough to get you through each area. And yeah, you could viably run and gun through the whole game, but then you would predictably get shot the hell up and probably have to deal with not having enough med kits. But the game was designed such that you really did have to deal with the consequences of each action - including dumping all your stat points into guns.

But it is what it is. Here's hoping it doesn't come out Gears of Deus Ex.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I guess it looks okay, as long as you like yellow and red, and every colour in between.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It looks like it is coming along quite nicely...it should be intresting to see how the finished product is gonna look

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
So, apparently this guy is the 6 Billion Dollar Man.
Or what Tony Stark would become if he decided to build his suit into his body entirely.

Is this still confirmed to be a prequel? Because if it is, it's become wildly anachronistic.
This guy has hardware and skills that far exceed any of the Dentons' performance, and JC Denton was supposed to be the absolute best.
Denton was a nano-aug, a new agent filled with nanobots and technology. He was fairly unique, with only him, Walten Simons, Paul Denton and Bob Page being the other nano-augs. Denton was a prototype, they where still perfecting the technology. Before him, there where the mechanical augs, but they stood out to much and had less possibilities.

Question: What the hell is a cover system based shooter? Doesn't EVERY FPS EVER have cover ? I mean, in Duke Nukem 3D I could stand behind a crate for cover - or is this not what is meant?

The Yellow - I can live with that. They're trying a new artistic style - I think I'll judge when I see it in action.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Oh.My.God. This game looks SICK!!!

The FMVs are simply stunning and if you can do half that cool stuff during play then it will totally rock.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I don't mind the regenerative health. Mass Effect 2 and 1 had a good regenerative health system where if you stuffed up you would be fucked but in a standard firefight you wouldn't have to constantly worry about your health, reload, go back for medkits etc. It kept the game tight while still keeping a high level of difficulty which is all around a good thing. If they implement the regeneration and the relating difficulty well I think this will be a good game.

I'm glad that they showed some stealth. Plenty of silent take downs and vent crawling. I know that the full game might not be like that but I figure that if they have a shread of intelligence they'll realise that most want people want stealth. From people who played it at E3 (or watched it be played, I'm not sure) stealth is still present and it's shaping up to have a lot of different ways to play.

They yellow doesn't bother me. I'm sure that if this game had a realistic colour scheme most people would ***** that it wasn't an escape and that it lacks style and that if they wanted to experience a city they'd step outside. I like it when the colour scheme matches the mood of a piece of visual media. If Saving Private Ryan looked like the middle of summer or if Blade Runner wasn't constantly raining and dark they would have been poorer films and I don't see why the same doesn't apply here.

One thing I'm annoyed at is the lack of straight up game footage. My guess is that the lack of it is caused from not wanting to spoil it, which I can understand, but maybe some hands on by journalists would be good. Perhaps we can expect that at the next PAX?

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
They really manage to make me dislike this game more and more with any new trailer. Too action heavy. This has nothing at all to do anymore with Deus-Ex or rather the game mechanic ideas behind it. Auto-Regen-Health is one of the most stupid design choices ever as is cover based system. Both don't work with Deus-Ex at all. As mentioned there is the Regen-Aug but it has a catch too. Good players don't use this aug though anyways as it is a bit cheap. You have though the choice to be cheap or not, not in this game. Also whoever called the sneaking up the character there "stealth" should play an actual stealth game or better Deus-Ex because this has nothing at all to do with stealth game mechanics.

The list would go on but a lot has been mentioned in this topic already. The game really deserves now the re-name "Deus-Ex: Human Disaster" :/

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Thedutchjelle said:
Atmos Duality said:
Or what Tony Stark would become if he decided to build his suit into his body entirely.

Is this still confirmed to be a prequel? Because if it is, it's become wildly anachronistic.
This guy has hardware and skills that far exceed any of the Dentons' performance, and JC Denton was supposed to be the absolute best.
Denton was a nano-aug, a new agent filled with nanobots and technology. He was fairly unique, with only him, Walten Simons, Paul Denton and Bob Page being the other nano-augs. Denton was a prototype, they where still perfecting the technology. Before him, there where the mechanical augs, but they stood out to much and had less possibilities.
Exactly. This mechanical augmented agent is far FAR more advanced than JC Denton.
Nano-augmentation was meant to replace mechanical augmentation in its entirety. Period.
So why is the dirt old tech so much better than the new tech? Well, that's just ANACHRONISM right there.

Question: What the hell is a cover system based shooter? Doesn't EVERY FPS EVER have cover ? I mean, in Duke Nukem 3D I could stand behind a crate for cover - or is this not what is meant?
Ok, two major examples:
1) Gears of War
2) Mass Effect

That is, a game where the shooting boils down to "whack-a-mole", where instead of just hiding behind cover, you "stick" to cover with the press of a button. The other big part of what seperates cover-based shooters from traditional "don't stick your head out" shooters is that a number of gameplay mechanics are centered on using cover.

Someone else can probably explain it better than me, but that's my take on cover-based shooters.

Guthie

Oct 12, 2009
http://action-games.suite101.com/article.cfm/the-rise-of-the-cover-based-shooter

This article more or less explains the difference between cover-based shooters and shooters where you can hide behind cover. [nod]

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Thedutchjelle said:
Atmos Duality said:

Exactly. This mechanical augmented agent is far FAR more advanced than JC Denton.
Nano-augmentation was meant to replace mechanical augmentation in its entirety. Period.
So why is the dirt old tech so much better than the new tech? Well, that's just ANACHRONISM right there.
No no, I think you got me wrong. At the point of Deus Ex, Nano-agents are still very untested and newish. They're not perfected yet, and thus not as good - unlike the mechanical line, which has been going for a longer period of time and has probably seen more development. Nano-augs got more potential but they haven't reached all of that yet in Deus Ex. That's my take on it.

Thanks for the explanation on the coverthing btw.. never had a game with it yet.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Stunning? The graphics look terrible TBH.
Do tell what game looks better than this?

This is done on the Crytek engine. AKA, the same engine that did Crysis. AKA, the game no one could play because the graphics were to much.

OT: I think this is my new game I am going to be hyped for. It reminds me a bit of Half life; Gameplay is in between good and great, the world has its own tone that reminds you of an eschewed version of our world, just with a slightly unsettling twist, and it looks like its a given that the story and characters are going to be amazing.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Dear Escapist.

On the previous thread about this trailer, pretty much all of you were, uncontrollably and blood vessel burst inducingly, whining like mad about this one trailer. Please, I beg of you, don't whine about this. The graphics look good, and the yellow effect makes it look that bit more sweet. The Robotic limbs could add to all sorts of new things such as interesting close quarter fights and stealth kills. Think like Assassins Creed 2, and we have the picture. And as for your whining about how it doesn't fit in with what you know, how about you wait until it is released before judging the plot with folded arms. Finally, you can break down a wall and snap someone's neck on the other side. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Calumon: Looks Cool.
I couldn't agree with you guys more. This honestly looks Frakking amazing. At least better than anything coming out in the next two years (give or take Bioshock).

Maybe its the fact that I havent played the other games, but I really am loving the way this game is turning out. Fanboys be damned. You ruin things.