Stupid questions you've been asked at your job

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Okay, little background. I work checkouts at a wide-spread chain grocery/textiles/homewares store in Ireland. I'm manning an express checkout at the front of the store, about 2-3 days ago, and a customer walks in and asks "Do you have [competing chain that also sells] mobile phone credit?" When I said no, he goes "But I was told you sell all the different mobile phone credits!" I respond with "But not our competitor, we're in competition with them". He walked out confused.

So peeps, care to share your stories of stupid questions you've been asked, as in questions that should have been obvious and not needed to be asked?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
You find out a LOT about just how little people know about operating a DVD player working in a movie rental place.

Sometimes when I got done talking with someone, I sat down and felt a genuine worry that this person was driving on the same road as me and my family.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
One time a kid that was working with me asked me how to use a screw driver. I was in total shocked and just raised my hands like I dunno lol.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
"What's in the chicken/steak bake?"

Are you fucking serious?

"Do you sell SIM cards?"

I work in a bakery.

"Does the cheese and tomato pizza have meat on it?"

Yep, tomato is a meat.

"Do the cheese and onion pasties contain alcohol?"

Yep, I slipped a bit of vodka in them this morning.

People are stupid, I worry how some of them get by.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well I worked at movie rental joint for about two years and some constant questions we got were,

"Do you sell cigarettes?"
"Do you sell painkillers?"
"Do you sell beer?"

Seriously, what do we look like?
Oh, and my favorite conversation,

"Yes I do have an account here"
While their account is for a different store...
In a different state...
And they get angry at me for not being able to find it.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I am the one asking the 'stupid' questions at work. I use 'air quotes' because the questions are stupid, but I was still right to ask because someone else messed up the machine and I am the one who noticed it.

For instance. I am a machinist making parts. The Day-Shift person shows me how to load, clean, and measure the parts. Then day shift leaves. 10 minuets later I noticed my parts look nothing like his parts and get my supervisor (WHY OH WHY was my bosses boss there too). We look thing over and find out that MY PARTS are perfect, they are good. DAY-SHIFT though, accidentally hit the 'skip' button and skipped part of the machines program. Part of our job is too make sure all of the right buttons are pushed.

So my stupid questions are 90% of the time good. 90% of the time.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I work at a sandwich shop that has sells in inches.So a guy comes up and asks what's the difference between a 6' and an 8.Without out even meaning too I say 2' and at that moment we both realize how silly a question that was and laugh.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Here is my Best from the dial-up callcenter I worked in

Me: ok so your internet is not working is your modem plugged in?

Customer: umm one sec let me check

Customer sorry this is taking a bit have to find a flashlight

Me: A flashlight?

Customer: yeah its dark in that room and i cant turn on the lights cause the power is out

Me:....

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
EeveeElectro said:
"Do you sell SIM cards?"

I work in a bakery.
that is priceless xD

The first one that comes to mind is that when I worked in a jewellers, a lady saw an 18ct gold bracelet with 9 different precious stones in it or ample size (~1.1ct each which is a fair size considering there are 9 of them)

This bracelet was reduced to half price to ?495 (still very cheap), and the lady asks to see it as she says she is quite into jewellery. I show her the bracelet and explain it's various assets and explain that it is 'This bracelet is on sale down to four nine five' I did not say 'four hundred and ninety five'.

The lady says she will take it, so I get it all boxed up nice and fancy, and go to get her to pay for it when she hands me £5. To which I go 'umm..is this suppposed to be a deposit?' She soon realised it was 100x more than she thought and went bright red, but we both laughed it off well.

TL;DR woman thought ?1000 bracelet was going for ?5.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I guess I lucked up because I have a job where I don't have to deal with the public, but I've had a few dumb questions from co-workers.

I recently was asked by the owners son, 20 some odd years old & has spent the past few years going to college for business management, how to save an emailed file to his laptop. When he first asked me that I thought to myself, this guy could be my boss one day I might want to start looking for a new job, but I just smiled & said sure let me take a look at that for you. I actually love my job, but stuff like that makes me fear for the future of the business.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
UncleUlty said:
I work at a sandwich shop that has sells in inches.So a guy comes up and asks what's the difference between a 6' and an 8.Without out even meaning too I say 2' and at that moment we both realize how silly a question that was and laugh.
On average, how many dick jokes do you get a day?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Shinsei-J said:
Well I worked at movie rental joint for about two years and some constant questions we got were,

"Do you sell beer?"

Seriously, what do we look like?
Oh, and my favorite conversation,

"Yes I do have an account here"
While their account is for a different store...
In a different state...
And they get angry at me for not being able to find it.
Did we work in the same store?I also worked in a movie rental place for a few years and was regularly asked everything you've listed above.Quite common too was people wanting to pay for petrol as we were located next to a garage

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I work at a pub. The moment you enter this establishment, you are faced with a display of 180 different bottles of beer, plus 15-20 on tap. Every fucking day someone goes "Do you have anything that's not *Local industrial pale lager*?"

EDIT: Also, at half past midnight one busy friday night: "Is it okay if we bring our 5 year-old daughter with us?"
No. No that would not be okay.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
well i used to work in an independent gaming store called final level consoles (i say worked but in reality i just helped out behind the counter and stuff sometimes) and on a regular basis i would have people come in asking if we only sold the final level of the game, we also had people coming in asking if we sold cigarettes beer and all sorts of other things that wouldn't exists (that may be spelled wrong haha)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
EeveeElectro said:

Are you fucking serious?

"Do you sell SIM cards?"

I work in a bakery.

Yep, tomato is a meat.

Well, I suppose if we're going to build a society where you're legally required to tell people that the contents of this packet of peanuts 'May Contain Nuts', then we can't expect people to retain any common sense in turn.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Shinsei-J said:
"Do you sell beer?"
MetalDooley said:
Did we work in the same store?I also worked in a movie rental place for a few years and was regularly asked everything you've listed above.Quite common too was people wanting to pay for petrol as we were located next to a garage
A BigCup of Tea said:
we also had people coming in asking if we sold cigarettes beer and all sorts of other things that wouldn't exists (that may be spelled wrong haha)
I'm beginning to see a pattern here...
I worked in a shoe store and got asked if I sold cigarettes and beer.

We also had a nice large sign that you can't miss right when you walk in the door (provided your head is pointing forward), the sign said "Kids" and I would regularly get asked "Do you sell kids shoes?"

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
So, there's a tornado that touched down something like 11 miles away, tornado warning broadcasts on radio and TV, actual audible tornado sirens, and me driving around announcing that a tornado has touched down and to go inside. In case you're deaf, I should mention the sideways rain/hail mix coming down. And still people are coming outside, stopping me and asking what the commotion is.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
EeveeElectro said:

Are you fucking serious?

"Do you sell SIM cards?"

I work in a bakery.

Yep, tomato is a meat.

Im guessing you work in greggs? If so i love you..your tasty sweet and savoury snacks are too good for this planet

I dont get silly questions at work because i dont work with the public. However as an aircraft technician here are some FAQs about my job:
Q: whats a falangie?
A: they dont exist

Q: why dont they make planes out of the same material as a black box
A: its would be incredibly heavy so it wouldnt actually take off and its also the positioning of the box and a lot of other factors that protect it not just the material

Q (my personal favourite): do you fly the planes?
A: yes im trusted to fly a £70 million aircraft that is capable of >mach 2 with no training whatsoever

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
UncleUlty said:
On average, how many dick jokes do you get a day?

Very few surprisingly,mostly made by the employees.