Stupidist things youve heard people say

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
"The sun is not a star, its a sun!"

"Video games caused violence throughout human history"

"Gay has to be a genetic, why do you think there are so many now?" (This one always makes me laugh when I type it)

Story Time. A good friend of mine wanted to come to my house and play Fallout New Vegas. These are the events that transpired:
She: "Hey come here! The game is lagging like crazy, is your internet working?"
My inner thoughts: *facepalm*
Me: "No this game is just really buggy, sometimes it runs on 5 FPS and it can be a real turn off."
She: "But it is an FPS?!"
*facedesk*

She is such a sweet girl, one day she'll learn how to video games...

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Xcell935 said:
Story Time. A good friend of mine wanted to come to my house and play Fallout New Vegas. These are the events that transpired:
Me: "No this game is just really buggy, sometimes it runs on 5 FPS and it can be a real turn off."
*facedesk*

In her defence, not knowing that FPS can mean two entirely different things is not really stupidity.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I once convinced a friend mice were a fictional creature, invented by the creators of Tom and Jerry to give Tom a good antagonist. They needed a small rat like creature but rats are too ugly and disgusting. So they imagined a smaller cuter rat called a mouse. This guy was 19. And i convinced him they totally faked mice. In all fairness i had another friend backing me up but still. Seriously?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Arfonious said:
Xcell935 said:
*facedesk*

In her defence, not knowing that FPS can mean two entirely different things is not really stupidity.
True that, but it was the only personal stupid story I had on my mind, plus no one takes these threads seriously. Right?... RIGHT?...

Its all good, told her what FPS also meant and now she gets the FPS New Vegas jokes I make.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Two from my sister

(When she saw an earth mover in Nevada) "Are they building desert?"
"Is Donny Osmand a dragon?"

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
I had a customer return a high-priced DVD player that she couldn't make work. My guess, she couldn't hook the red/white/yellow plugs on the cable to the red/white/yellow jacks on both the TV and DVD player, since she had sound but no video...

He was NOT happy, even when I told him I spent 45 minutes trying to convince her she had installed it wrong.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Gabanuka said:
Beautiful End said:
Wait. You guys dont add tax to the shown price?

Why the hell not?
As has already been said, some states don't charge sales tax, and instead make up for the income a higher property tax. Oregon is great that way.

SinBloodrose

Jan 21, 2013
My fiance and I were visiting my family for Christmas when he and my grandmother started talking about cooking and what size pan they liked to use. He likes to use a 10-inch skillet to cook in when all of the sudden my cousin asked how big a 10-inch skillet was. We all kind of stopped what we were doing and stared at him when I started to laugh. It was such a dunderheaded thing for him to do but I told him that 10-inches was the size of the pan and that he already answered the question himself. Now my cousin is only 14 and has ADHD, so I guess it's par on course for him lol.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I'll say it again anyway. This wasn't me personally that heard this, but my father on the bus home from work one day:

"You're so gay, you don't know what cum is."

Admittedly, this was some 12yo chav, but still.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Someone posted something on Facebook about the Sandy Hook shooting and how people die every day, then some guy commented back saying something, think about how it was that they were children that died. I replied saying that starving children in Africa die every day and nobody cares about that. That guy replied back saying "but did those kids in Africa die in a school?". Well, he got me there.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Where to start:

"WAIT! Polar Bears live in CANADA! OH MY GOD ARE THEY NEAR HERE! OMG I DONT WANT TO BE EATEN!"
"WAIT! THE SUN IS GOING TO EXPLODE! WE HAVE TO GET AWAY THEN!"
"What do you mean we dont have a President, I WANT A PRESIDENT!"

All from the same girl.
From the Social studies, science, and global politics course I took.

I almost had a brain aneurysm from all the stupid.
I shit you not.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
My buddies girlfriend said these gems:

"Colleges are not in it for the money, they are ONLY there for the education!"

"Soccer cannot be the most popular sport in the world because I don't like it!"

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
lechat said:
"a dead body weighs more than a live one. trust me you will believe it if you ever try and lift one"
Not quite as stupid as it sounds. Lifting someone who's dead or injured is quite a bit more difficult than someone who's alive and well. It's certainly not a weight issue but I'm assuming that he didn't really mean it literally. Still gotta wonder how he learned this...

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
his1nightmare said:
Fuzzed said:
his1nightmare said:
One man once asked me: "How long does it take to upload a video on Youtube?"
Me: "This is the most stupid thing I've ever read."
He: "Why?"
Me: "This is the second most stupid thing I've ever read."
Did the man ask you or were you reading something? Not clear on this one. Or maybe the two remarks you said to the man were the stupidest things you've ever heard.
They were my reactions to his questions.

Abomination said:
his1nightmare said:
One man once asked me: "How long does it take to upload a video on Youtube?"
Me: "This is the most stupid thing I've ever read."
He: "Why?"
Me: "This is the second most stupid thing I've ever read."
I don't see how that is a stupid question. The answer would be "It depends on the quality and the length of the video, then factor in to it the speed of your internet connection."

The question was likely from a position of ignorance as how to computers and the internet works, not stupidity.
While you are right, ignorance at such a level, at the time of our information technology-based generation... was reason enough for me to flame. That it wasn't idiocy by definiton I won't deny.
Ah... yeah, no, no it wasn't a reason for you to flame. This 'information technology-based generation' you're talking about is merely taking it's first steps, there hasn't even been HALF a century yet since it's rising. There are plenty of people 30+ years old, some even younger, to whom the size-of-video to internet-speed ratio is just so much Chinese (assuming they're not Chinese by default). However, I do get that it can be frustrating to have to explain things like that to people.

My personal favorite was being asked, and I quote: 'What's so great about Shakespeare? What did he ever do?' And this was a 50-something year old woman, mind.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
DoPo said:
I'll paraphrase it: "If we move the PC to the next room, would we still have all our files on it?" - this might have been the stupidest question I've been asked. I don't think it's the actual stupidest thing, I've heard though - yeah, some people aren't that good with technology (even though these ones had a PC for more than a year...) *snip*
As Mr. Sark of Machinima once said "There are some flat-liners in this office who will SOUNDLY fuck up tech."

I don't have a relevant quote for the topic. I just love that line.

WhereMadThingsWalk

Aug 26, 2011
I had a girl in my 8th grade class ask how dogs were trained in foreign lands, I told her that they associate the words with actions.
She says,
"But how can they understand it, its not English?"

P_P

She thought all dogs 'spoke(?)' English
I wept for my future children that night

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
"X is as bad as Hitler." I don't care if it is a politician you don't agree with or your personal justification for it, unless the person is an actual murderous dictator who killed millions of people, all your statement just is undercut the importance of the crimes Hitler perpetrated.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Xcell935 said:
"The sun is not a star, its a sun!"

"Video games caused violence throughout human history"

"Gay has to be a genetic, why do you think there are so many now?" (This one always makes me laugh when I type it)

*facedesk*

But wait wasn't it recently postulated by some scientists at the University of California that homosexuality is epigenetic? How is saying that homosexuality is genetic stupid?

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
this was a while ago but i heard this in a middle school science class

"I don't believe in evolution because lil bow wow didn't come from a monkey"

The rest of the class just facepalmed.