Stupidist things youve heard people say

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Smell of Green said:
"Tide comes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that."
- Bill O'riley, Professional Christian
I remember that! I also remember the interviewee - I think it was either good ol' Christopher Hitchens / Richard Dawkins / Sam Harris(or a "professional Atheist" of some kind) just sorta sat there in silence for a few seconds, as if totally unable to grasp what this nutcase had just come out with.

On a similarly religiously related note: I once got asked, in a completely serious tone, if the ham we stocked was halal. Pig meat. Halal. I couldn't quite believe the question but I managed to stammer out a "....no, I don't think so". People are very worrying at times.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
*sitting on a bus in Honolulu when a tourist gets on and asks the bus driver*

"Do you take AMERICAN dollars?"

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
"Isn't Kuwait *in* Iraq?"

This would be bad enough from anyone, but I heard this from two different people.
The first one--her husband was about to leave for a tour of duty in the middle east,
staying for 3 months in Kuwait and then going in to Iraq.
The second one--her brother has served two full tours of duty in Iraq.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Lancer873 said:
lechat said:
"a dead body weighs more than a live one. trust me you will believe it if you ever try and lift one"
Not quite as stupid as it sounds. Lifting someone who's dead or injured is quite a bit more difficult than someone who's alive and well. It's certainly not a weight issue but I'm assuming that he didn't really mean it literally. Still gotta wonder how he learned this...
no he meant it literally.
i was actually arguing with him using the case:
"a body can't magically gain weight. the weight has to come from somewhere"

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
"The sun is a star? Are you sure?"

During a party in someones cellar a girl was complaining she didn't get any connection on her cellphone. My friend told her to hold the metal hook in the ceiling (that was there from a disco ball) and shed get a good connection because it was actually a wire that went to the roof. She held her hand to the ceiling for about a minute grabbing the hook until she realized that it wasn't working.

xochiquetzal

Oct 7, 2010
"I would rather be raped by somebody beautiful" by a friend of mine during a discursion of Scandinavia and our attitude towards rape. the same friend also said "I'm affraid of murderers because they kill people" and I was like, No Shit

also I once heard comedian Marcus Brigstocke mention an Islamic priest who said...

"the reason there are so many earthquakes is because women are showing cleavage"

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Overheard a 'discussion' between a few people at a party, about whether there's a God.

One of them said, "But you can't see oxygen", to argue the case for God's existence. That's quoted word for word. I think she was pretty high, but still.

PolarBearClub

Aug 7, 2008
Aw man, I think my girlfriend and her comments were made for this thread. She's certainly not stupid, but she has racked up quite a list of 'blonde' moments.

She thought Rumplestiltskin was a real, historical person. Adversely she thought Estonia was a fairytale country.

Thinking horse radishes contained actual horse.

I'm sure she still thinks of Africa as a country as opposed to a continent, no matter how many times I remind her otherwise.

We live in Ireland, and she thought Britain was an hour ahead.

Thought Russian Roulette was called 'Rush and Roulette' (not that bad, really.)

Was convinced that several denoted an exact figure - 7.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've (more than once) had people tell me that the fact an object falling to the Earth will stop falling when it hits, it therefore has a velocity of zero and this is useful for equations to find out how far it fell or how long it was falling.

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
Hoplon said:
it's a software limitation to avoid frame tear, this is cause by the response time of the LCD, you will see this advertised as "2ms" usually, though this is the grey to grey response time rather than the black to black response time which tends to be more like 16 ms or so, from this the "refresh" rate is calculated.

So, you have the marketing bullshit of the response time compounded with the marketing bullshit of the "refresh" rate. what you actually have is an 9 ms black to black response time screen.
Hmmm quickly tried to diver the topic from refresh rates to response times eh? Meh, it happens :p
Firstly the GTG response is irrelevant. Secondly please don't try to explain to me what I have, I know what I bought...building gaming rigs is what I do.

The prime advantages of 120hz are drastically reduced ghosting/blurring at high movement speeds, almost non-existent screen tearing and the lowest possible input lag. At 30 fps you have an input lag maximum of a whopping 33.33ms, at 60 fps you have 16.6ms, and finally at 120hz you have 8.3ms. You can keep yelling "the refresh rate is a lie!" but that's not going to change the facts of framerates vs input lag, it's not going to change the fact that a 120hz monitor shows all 120 frames per second that a 60hz monitor cannot. Then there's of course the 3D capability to play games or movies in 3D, but that's not why I bought my monitor :p

A Smooth Criminal said:
There's such a minor difference between 30fps and 60fps that it's hardly even worth the argument...

The only flaw is that 60fps will sometimes dip to about 50, while 30fps will sometimes dip to about 20, which is when there it starts to become annoying.

And no, your eye cannot perceive anything over 60. It definitely can't perceive 120fps. If you think it can then I can guarantee it's a placebo effect.
Wow, I didn't think an example of my original post would show up in this very thread. Well here you go folks XD

Both of you above posters, watch this and learn well (skip to 1:50):

Yep, probably one or both of you will yell "that guy is a lying cheating marketer, he's part of the establishment maaaaan" because you don't have an inkling of a clue who he is, and that's fine, you can also believe that the sky is yellow and the sun is pink. Whatever. As a PC builder I can only present people with valid info, it's up to them what they want to do with it.

I'm done here, have fun ^_^

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one! The difference between 30FPS and 60 FPS is like night & day, animation is so much smoother & shooters become awesomesauce.
Ppl who deny this need to either upgrade their GPU or disable in-game V-sync on console ported games & force it via the GPU control panel. Or both.
If you're using a console you will only ever get 30FPS(if you're lucky). Sorry.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see 120hz in action yet. I'm happy with 60 for gaming ATM.
120Hz at 1080p might kill even my GTX 680 on some modern games, hehehe

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Lonewolfm16 said:
Xcell935 said:
"The sun is not a star, its a sun!"

"Video games caused violence throughout human history"

"Gay has to be a genetic, why do you think there are so many now?" (This one always makes me laugh when I type it)

Story Time. A good friend of mine wanted to come to my house and play Fallout New Vegas. These are the events that transpired:
She: "Hey come here! The game is lagging like crazy, is your internet working?"
My inner thoughts: *facepalm*
Me: "No this game is just really buggy, sometimes it runs on 5 FPS and it can be a real turn off."
She: "But it is an FPS?!"
*facedesk*

She is such a sweet girl, one day she'll learn how to video games...
But wait wasn't it recently postulated by some scientists at the University of California that homosexuality is epigenetic? How is saying that homosexuality is genetic stupid?
It in it of itself isn't stupid, the way the anonymous person said it is the punch-line.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
thaluikhain said:
I've (more than once) had people tell me that the fact an object falling from the Earth will stop falling when it hits, it therefore has a velocity of zero and this is useful for equations to find out how far it fell or how long it was falling.
Mabey they just have a crappy way of taking notes? At the top of somethings arc for projectile motion is has a vertical component of 0 so putting 0 as the final velocity can help find half of the vertical component of the arc so mabey they just screwed that up?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lonewolfm16 said:
thaluikhain said:
I've (more than once) had people tell me that the fact an object falling from the Earth will stop falling when it hits, it therefore has a velocity of zero and this is useful for equations to find out how far it fell or how long it was falling.
Mabey they just have a crappy way of taking notes? At the top of somethings arc for projectile motion is has a vertical component of 0 so putting 0 as the final velocity can help find half of the vertical component of the arc so mabey they just screwed that up?
Nah, this was one-dimensional movement, straight down.

(My original post should have said "falling to the Earth" not "falling from the Earth")

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I was browsing at a gun shop and saw somebody looking at the revolvers and heard this conversation:

"Where does the magazine go?"
"It doesn't have one."
"But how do the bullets go in?"
The guy flipped open the cylinder, and showed her
"They go in there."
"Okay, I want this gun and 2 magazines."

And the conversation repeated... twice...

Or one of my first few days as a manager where I work, we had a total of 6 cashiers call in, and I think 4 floor associates call off. So we were EXTREMELY short-handed.

"You need to open up more registers, why don't you call somebody up?!"
"I have, this is all we have. We're short about 10 people right now."
"Oh, for fucks sake you employ 300 people and can't even have more than 2 registers open?!"
"So you think that we have 300 people scheduled for the entire time our store is open everyday?"
"..., Well you should" -- This was said in the "I know I'm wrong, but I can't lose this argument" voice

BTW In order to do that, we'd have to employ more than the number of people that live in our town

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
"Man, pumas are the lions of the animal kingdom."

I'm kind of cheating considering it was from a youtube video of a guy playing TF2 online, but I do love that quote so much.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
NightmareExpress said:
"That 99% thing is bullshit, there's nobody going hungry on the streets"
"I just can't imagine myself being anybody but me, because I like being me"

Both of these were spoken by the same individual talking to a friend while at the bus-stop on two separate days (about a year ago). A lad of about 17/18 if I were to guess. If I recall, school was full of people saying stupid things all the time...in fact, I'd imagine that there are far too many examples for me to really choose from.

I guess I had a friend at one point (in response to if he had ever made an Irish Cream) say;
"I can't make cream, I'm not a farmer".
to be fair I've heard that it's 80% not 99% going hungry in the world, it's probably a lot less on the streets too since the streets generally refers to being homeless in a town and 99% as a starvation rate in a town in a first world country would be a ludicrous amount of homeless, and the other part sounds pretty out of context, with it not sounding like a sort of optimistic glass half full because honestly I understand that there is a ridiculous amount of people going hungry in the world and everyone's willing to talk about it like they are doing something constructive about it but when it comes right down to it that's all they do, there's to many people 'spreading the word' and not enough people actually doing something about it.

(and on a further note even the 80% hungry thing is a sort of gross exaggeration because it's saying people who don't receive what is referred to as optimal nutrition are 'going hungry' which by those definitions most of the people I know are 'going hungry' myself included since my primary diet is noodles and rice with the odd apple as a college student.