Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
I am deeply disappointed by the utter lack of public shaming for those who voted for Colonial marines thus far.
I am too, this lack of shaming risks letting us think we can get away anything and that undermines the staff's authority. The only way to restore order must be a shaming so humiliating that legends will be told of it in future Game of the Year competitions. Come on staff, let it begin!
But that's because we can get away with anything so long as we don't make low content posts like "LOL I AGREE" when we quote other users. Or call people nasty names like "cuntbiscuit" or "twaddlepisser".

I was at least expecting all our avatars to be set to a xenomorph for a day or something.
True, it's not as hard being a villain on this site as many might think. It'll be a real wipeout if they don't end up doing anything though, I was thinking they might publish a list of us and ask users to send us hate mail or something >.>
I can't help but think that would somehow violate a law somewhere > > but I was expecting something. We're not allowed to vote though, which is pretty bullshit as it wasn't mentioned when I voted that my vote would be lost for having a laugh.
Have you tried voting recently? No-one's was working at first due to an error in the coding, and since the staff fixed it mine has been working fine (the 'My bracket' part that is, the voting for the 'Official bracket' hasn't opened yet).

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Wait, is it saying that we don't simply select our choice of all games of which we think was the best game in our view; but that we'll be choosing and rated based on how good we are in predicting and following the populist herd in a bracket format?

Haven't you ever seen how this kind of shit roles on GameFAQs? Those things are profoundly terrible. They service the populists and extend crumbs to those who nihilistically dissolve into the mass, and frustrate everyone else whose passion often dies in the second bracket. Just have something where people pick their game. 1 round, minimum frustration.

[Edit] Well at least that we'll be able to do all our own brackets right away. Not that it's comfortable having to choose between games you love near equally in predetermined round encounters. Some (together with the temptation to influence the brackets) can conflict you and even make you feel a bit dirty about choosing your game.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I think that the final battle this year will be Bioshock Infinite vs. GTAV. Although I could be wrong - Papers Please is kind of super successful and may end up making it to the final battle as well

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well seeing as Remember Me and Rayman Legends (unsurprisingly) didn't make it to the 16 my vote has to go to Dead Rising 3. It's just a damn fine game but I know it will lose, pretty badly too.

But the vote isn't for what you think is GOTY (out of the list anyway), is it? It's about what you think others think the GOTY is. In that case I'm torn between my love for Dead Rising 3 and my common sense telling me that The Last of Us and GTA V are the obvious winners.

Mush

Aug 31, 2013
You're not going to make me pick between XCOM and Papers Please. I wont do it. That's just cruel. Especially in the first round.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Wow. You just got me to choose between Papers Please and XCOM: Enemy Within. Then after a bit of fairly easy voting, you got me to choose between Papers Please and The Last of Us. Those were both the hard choices, but in the end, both times I went with the first. AAA industry is just burnt out for me, I have most of AAA 2013 titles, and I only finished Bioshock: Infinite, TLOU, and Beyond (well, I consider it an AAA game, and I liked it actually), the rest just sit there beaten halfway or even only a quarter way through.

Meanwhile, Papers Please managed to become engaging, thought provoking, and clicked on all the right cylinders in my "your choices matter" brain. Actually, this also describes The Stanley Parable (2013), my actual GOTY 2013. Yay small developers I guess, you know more on what's going on than most big studios out there.

For 2014: Witcher 3 and Murdered: Soul Suspect please be good ;[

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
AldUK said:
My own personal final was Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm vs The Last Of Us, but I know Starcraft isn't popular at The Escapist because of the console bias.
Did I do the time quantum warp? Because last I checked, The Escapist is heavily biased towards the PC as compared to consoles.

EDIT: In terms of the actual games up for voting, it's a curios set of choices. Although the placing of titles seems slightly biased, as both GTA5 and Saints Row 4 are placed against titles that were recieved with lukewarm or overall mixed reception. It would seem more appropriate to have those titles face each-other in the first round to put to rest the "Best Sandbox Game of 2013" argument. Also, Dead Rising 3 facing off against Assassin's Creed 4 is more appropriate as well, as both games shares lots of gameplay elements. But whatever, it's The Escapist's bracket, not mine.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
hmmmm, this bracket seems awfully heavy on games that came out recently. 8 out of the 16 games came out in the last month. so in the 12 months of the year half this bracket came from one. Methinks the people who chose the entries only figured in what we were talking about currently not year long.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Oh man, the decision between Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us is really hard for me, and I'm probably going to change it several times before the final round.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It was a tough decision for me, because they're all franchises I only recently decided I want due to expanding beyond playing nothing but fantasy RPGs. Hahaha.

AC: Historical RPG.
TR: I Spit on Your Grave: The Game.
GTA: Choke full of hilarious exploitable glitches.
SR: See above, but with a huge mod community that makes it even funnier.
XY: Nintendo fangirl.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I had papers please and Saints Row 4 up against each other with Saints Row 4 winning.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that voting was completely easy after all. Just take a guess, guys, it's not about what you want, it's about you what think others like.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Have a strong feeling about Last of Us making it to first place, if not second or third. The game itself is amazing overall.

Besides that...

OT: W00T!! Filled my bracket out, read the rules, gave feedback... now to await the day of voting. It's going to be super fun- or kind of sad if people can't behave themselves. Seriously, the staff doesn't HAVE to do us these favors with fun events, but they're trusting us. Let's show them that we can be civil about competitions, shall we?

... Please?
No, you suck, your opinions suck and even if you have the same opinions as me your opinions suck because I'm on the internet. Seriously though, I hope we can make this peaceful too.

Eric the Orange said:
hmmmm, this bracket seems awfully heavy on games that came out recently. 8 out of the 16 games came out in the last month. so in the 12 months of the year half this bracket came from one. Methinks the people who chose the entries only figured in what we were talking about currently not year long.
Actually that's because a whole lot of the best games are released in fall because that is usually the time when games are selling most while few games are released during the summer months because game sales are generally in a slump. Still, I think you have a point. I often forget that what might be my favourite game this year actually came out this year since it came out in March.

OT: The games I voted for probably won't make it to round 2 for the most part. It's always tricky to decide if you should vote for the game you prefer or the game you think will win.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I got Semi Finals SC2 vs Bioshock Infinite unfortunately and as much as liked HotS story I had to vote for Infinite.

Black Flag vs Infinite were my finals and the latter won.

PS: On a very unrelated note...woo 2000 posts! o.o

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I'm banking on a surprise upset from voters causing a win for Pokemon over GTA. Probably won't happen but one can dream.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I honestly don't care who win's, none of the top contenders would surprise me. Kinda rooting for the last of us, if nothing else to make Ellen Page's decision to do beyond two souls more painful.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Seriously, the staff doesn't HAVE to do us these favors with fun events, but they're trusting us. Let's show them that we can be civil about competitions, shall we?

... Please?
No chance and too late! There's already complaints about the prize on offer and the games up for nomination.

Sometimes you just want to beat people up until they're more positive eh?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
I am deeply disappointed by the utter lack of public shaming for those who voted for Colonial marines thus far.
I am too, this lack of shaming risks letting us think we can get away anything and that undermines the staff's authority. The only way to restore order must be a shaming so humiliating that legends will be told of it in future Game of the Year competitions. Come on staff, let it begin!
But that's because we can get away with anything so long as we don't make low content posts like "LOL I AGREE" when we quote other users. Or call people nasty names like "cuntbiscuit" or "twaddlepisser".

I was at least expecting all our avatars to be set to a xenomorph for a day or something.
True, it's not as hard being a villain on this site as many might think. It'll be a real wipeout if they don't end up doing anything though, I was thinking they might publish a list of us and ask users to send us hate mail or something >.>
I can't help but think that would somehow violate a law somewhere > > but I was expecting something. We're not allowed to vote though, which is pretty bullshit as it wasn't mentioned when I voted that my vote would be lost for having a laugh.

I filled out my bracket but none of it is gonna happen how I want it to, for one I have pokemon winning.
Have you tried voting recently? No-one's was working at first due to an error in the coding, and since the staff fixed it mine has been working fine (the 'My bracket' part that is, the voting for the 'Official bracket' hasn't opened yet).
Ah that explainsa lot, this is what sleep deprivation does to you D:

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Yopaz said:
Eric the Orange said:
Actually that's because a whole lot of the best games are released in fall because that is usually the time when games are selling most while few games are released during the summer months because game sales are generally in a slump. Still, I think you have a point. I often forget that what might be my favourite game this year actually came out this year since it came out in March.

OT: The games I voted for probably won't make it to round 2 for the most part. It's always tricky to decide if you should vote for the game you prefer or the game you think will win.
hmmmmmm, true. they want to get there games out right before the Christmas rush. Though I would be interested in seeing sales numbers of games throughout the year (not that sales numbers equal good games, but they are a indicator of popularity).

I mean I think something like Ni No Kuni should be on here, but as I've said before my tastes don't align with that of the mainstream it seems. As the only games here I've played are Pokemon and Papers Please. So perhaps all the games that are popular with the most people get released in November.