Submit Your Questions for the Upcoming Miracle of Sound Q&A!

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Nasrin said:
Submit Your Questions for the Upcoming Miracle of Sound Q&A!

Hello Escapists!

As you may have heard, our very own Gavin Dunne has been stricken with an awful case of Tinnitus. For those of you that don't know, Tinnitus is a terrible affliction of the inner ear that causes you to hear a high pitched ringing sound at all times of the night or day. So, in order to make the best of his recovery time and still give you that monthly dose of Miracle of Sound that you've grown to know and love, we're launching a Community Q&A!

You can now submit your question using the form below, and you'll receive a limited edition forum badge just for entering! We will then select some of the best out of the bunch and our Publisher's Club Members will vote for the top ten to be submitted to Gavin, where he will answer them live on camera. Be sure to check back on December 20th to see the video and find out if your question has been answered.

Don't wait! Question submission period ends this Friday! If there's some deep, dark secret question that simply burns within your chest, now's the time to ask!

No questions, but my best wishes for you mate and hope you get better.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Sorry to hear about your condition Gavin.
I have chronic tinnitus caused by nerve damage in the cochlea (part of the inner ear) caused by repeated exposure to loud impact noises during my time in the Marine Corps.

So those who are confused tinnitus can be both a symptom of another illness or its own condition.

Tinnitus can be symptoms of (but not limited to)
congestion - like a cold or sinus infection (usually temporary)
hearing damage/ hearing lost - can lead to chronic symptoms
high blood pressure (as you literally hear your own blood rushing in your head)
head injury (to the auditory lobe of the brain)
any number of neuro-psychological reasons
and even purely psychological reasons

Here hoping Gavin's Tinnitus is temporary and the causes can be treated

Yoshi-Pop

Apr 1, 2009
Gav, I really hope you get well soon. I love the music you make, and I'm thinking all the good thoughts in the world for you.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
My uncle has the exact same thing. Think he said it had something to do with guns & the military. After 30 years, I don't think he really notices it anymore.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
I can't really remember a time when I didn't have tinnitus. It runs in my family. It was infrequent when I was a kid, but it has been permanent at least since I was 14, and that was 7 years ago. I've had my hearing tested recently, and I got a perfect score. The tinnitus hasn't had any effect on my life, aside from making it difficult to fall asleep in a silent room. I always sleep with a fan on, and I'm almost always listening to music when I'm awake, so it's rare that I notice the ringing.

My dad has a worse case than mine, but he didn't get it until he was 12 years into his military career. I think he said that it started the day he spent 10 hours in a Hercules without hearing protection.

Lazrael

Oct 18, 2011
That's neat. I hope you get better soon Gav. I have to say, I was wondering how you got started making miracle of sound songs. I too am an avid video gamer and musician, and find what you do a very cool blend of the two. So I guess I wonder how you started up and how you go about choosing games to write on and writing songs for them.

Feel better man.