Subreddit's "strike" over recently hired person involved with pedophiles

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That the very idea people were talking about it proves it wasn't as big of a deal as they claim? The claim is everyone who was talking about it got banned, sure. Then how did anyone hear about it? I saw it mentioned all over the place, no bans.
I'm sure in like a UK subreddit people were banned, but why does r/Water care? Why did any other subreddit that didn't involve the mods or admins that wasn't banning anyone for talking about it involved in the least? Why mass protests to something that was by definition both an isolated event and one that had no impact on anything else?
NO! The point is that anyone that said their NAME was getting banned, even if it was just in passing like the original incident where just AN ARTICLE with them mentioned in it got the poster banned. Why are you making declarative statements when you don't actually know anything about this?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
NO! The point is that anyone that said their NAME was getting banned, even if it was just in passing like the original incident where just AN ARTICLE with them mentioned in it got the poster banned. Why are you making declarative statements when you don't actually know anything about this?
People said her name all the time. That's my point. Everyone was up in arms about people being banned, and protested by doing the exact same thing people were banned for but not getting banned.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
People said her name all the time. That's my point. Everyone was up in arms about people being banned, and protested by doing the exact same thing people were banned for but not getting banned.
That's because the rules were reversed. According to Reddit, the rule that automatically would action anything that mentioned her name was in place from 9/3 until (at least) 22/3, and was then reversed.

So, the open discussion was after the reversal.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That's because the rules were reversed. According to Reddit, the rule that automatically would action anything that mentioned her name was in place from 9/3 until (at least) 22/3, and was then reversed.

So, the open discussion was after the reversal.
So the whole thing was blown way out of proportion and the protest itself was after-the-fact and didn't effect any of Reddit's decision making?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
If one can handle the hateful stuff (like, really hateful), kiwifarms has a thorough thread about the matter. With shitloads of useless speculation, but a lot of substance in between the slurs. Way more messages than I'm willing to plow through.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That the very idea people were talking about it proves it wasn't as big of a deal as they claim? The claim is everyone who was talking about it got banned, sure. Then how did anyone hear about it? I saw it mentioned all over the place, no bans.
I'm sure in like a UK subreddit people were banned, but why does r/Water care? Why did any other subreddit that didn't involve the mods or admins that wasn't banning anyone for talking about it involved in the least? Why mass protests to something that was by definition both an isolated event and one that had no impact on anything else?
Except people started talking about it so much Reddit couldn't take out everyone doing it without having to ban a lot of people. That's the point of what was going on. Too many people "Stood up" for them to be able to take all of them down quietly and see no repercussions.

As for why other subs care. It's simple, people are fed up of the guessing game over what will get them banned now. If a post that just happened to mention the persons name got some-one a permaban who knows what else could do it just because the red names on reddit "Set the filter too strictly".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
She was fired from Reddit because she hired somebody she probably shouldn't have for a different job, unrelated to her job at Reddit?

This is very convoluted and I'm feeling way out of my depth. I'm not even entirely sure exactly which part I'm supposed to be angry about. I should probably just stay out of Current Events, I just get bored sometimes and look at the Latest Posts sidebar...
It's gonna be hard to understand things when you try to strip all context from them and act as if just looking at it as basic information stripped actions like 'hired somebody she probably shouldn't have'. You don't seem to be coming at this form an angle of trying to see why people would want her gone, you're coming at it with an adversarial angle where you remove reasons people would take issue from the equation when stating the situation

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The British Green Party is full of anti-nuclear people who have a hippie-like view of science.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Except people started talking about it so much Reddit couldn't take out everyone doing it without having to ban a lot of people. That's the point of what was going on. Too many people "Stood up" for them to be able to take all of them down quietly and see no repercussions.

As for why other subs care. It's simple, people are fed up of the guessing game over what will get them banned now. If a post that just happened to mention the persons name got some-one a permaban who knows what else could do it just because the red names on reddit "Set the filter too strictly".
It would be really cool if mass shootings etc. stopped too....

Advertisers and investors are scared of being associated with any it, thud they are forcing social media (by threatening to leave) to at least look like their cleaning up idiots who keep threatening people. Because far too many times those threats have led to violence