Subs, sandwiches and hoagies oh my!! What is your favorite sandwich? :D

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Haven't had enough to say. Pretty much every sandwich I've had, I've loved save for a couple exceptions.

Just give me meaty goodness and I'm fine.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I like Italian hoagies like they make them at old fashioned delis back in Pennsylvania. Lots of meat slices, lettuce, onions, cheese and pickled hot cherry peppers on an Italian roll (soft or hard), with oil and vinegar. Mayonaisse is disgusting and only suitable for tuna fish.

Also Philly cheese steaks/chicken cheese steaks. Here in Texas, authentic ones are incredible hard to come by, though I do know of one place in Plano that does it just right. I was once served a "cheese steak" with strips of beef instead of chipped, and it had lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise on it. I just about killed a man.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Chemical Alia said:
I like Italian hoagies like they make them at old fashioned delis back in Pennsylvania. Lots of meat slices, lettuce, onions, cheese and pickled hot cherry peppers on an Italian roll (soft or hard), with oil and vinegar. Mayonaisse is disgusting and only suitable for tuna fish.

Also Philly cheese steaks/chicken cheese steaks. Here in Texas, authentic ones are incredible hard to come by, though I do know of one place in Plano that does it just right. I was once served a "cheese steak" with strips of beef instead of chipped, and it had lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise on it. I just about killed a man.
I would love to know why people add things to a perfectly good sandwich like a cheese steak.

Lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo have no business being on it. I struggle with the fact that some restaurants put mushrooms in it. I mean, I like those little fungus things as much as the next person, but not in a sandwich like that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Subway has a meatball and marinara sub. And when you add double onions and sweet onion sauce, it turns into heaven. Pure. Heaven.

twidget

Dec 9, 2012
A little sub shop back home makes them.
Fresh, sliced green peppers, onion, tomato, provolone, salami, black olives, dill pickle, olive oil on a fresh bun.

Nothing much different from lots of other shops but from Moe's, it's the best there is.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Chemical Alia said:

I would love to know why people add things to a perfectly good sandwich like a cheese steak.

Lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo have no business being on it. I struggle with the fact that some restaurants put mushrooms in it. I mean, I like those little fungus things as much as the next person, but not in a sandwich like that.
I think maybe they're just unenlightened and confused. Whenever I bring friends to the awesome authentic cheesesteak place, they absolutely love the sandwiches there.

Though I will say, mushrooms on the chicken cheesesteaks aren't too bad, since chicken doesn't have as much flavor. When I was in college, that was the only decent thing they had in the mini-cafeteria :C

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Chemical Alia said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Chemical Alia said:

I think maybe they're just unenlightened and confused. Whenever I bring friends to the awesome authentic cheesesteak place, they absolutely love the sandwiches there.

Though I will say, mushrooms on the chicken cheesesteaks aren't too bad, since chicken doesn't have as much flavor. When I was in college, that was the only decent thing they had in the mini-cafeteria :C
Perhaps, but for some reason they have to add either that or avocado to just about every sandwich here to make it "southwest", or whatever that means.

I've never had a chicken cheesesteak, but that's probably because I don't know many places that make it. Might have to make my own, hmmm.... My college's cafeteria had an awesome salad bar, but they got rid of it after two years. That was a very sad day for everyone. :(

nogitsune

Aug 15, 2013
my favorite is a creation of a local sandwich shop (as far as I know they made it) Called the Dirka Dirka, it's pastrami, swiss, pickles, spicy mustard and Jalapeno coleslaw. I find I have to order it everytime I'm in the shop.

Dec 10, 2012
Man, this is like asking which kind of sex is my favorite. It's almost always great, so just give me everything and I'll take it all!

I do prefer the meat and cheese-type sandwiches, and I tend to like my condiments on the strong side, such as spicy mustard or blue cheese dressing. But really, give me any combination of bread and filling, and toast it just a little bit, and I will be a happy man for the next five minutes.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
omega 616 said:
Mine kind of changes depending on which I had longest ago, chip butties, sausage butties and bacon butties are all awesome!

I feel I am missing out though, Americans have things we don't ... like WTF is a hoagie? WTF is a sloppy Joe? WTF is a burrito?
Lol whats a Buttie?

A hoagie is just another name for a sub sandwich, used specifically in Pennsylvania and New Jersey for the most part.

A sloppy joe is a sandwich consisting of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup and other seasonings, served on a hamburger bun. Usually the messier the better. I add cheese but that's a personal thing.

A burrito is a lot like most Mexican dishes lol. Tortillas either flour or corn wrapped around meat, rice, cheese, sauce and other veggies depending on your preference. Most Tex-Mex dishes seem to devolve to a combo of meat, tortilla and cheese unless you go the authentic route. My favorite is shredded beef or Carne Asada, cheese, re-fried beans, Mexican rice, onions, more cheese, salsa and sometimes sour cream. Sometimes you need either a really big tortilla or 2 of them to confine the goodness. If you deep fry that it becomes a Chimichanga.

When I went to England there wasn't any Mexican food to be found at all so I don't blame you for not knowing. The others are uniquely American or specific to a certain area here.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Hmm favorites are PB and J on toasted bread. Bacon, cheese, onions and lettuce on a buttery roll. Turkey, cheese, mayo, mustard, lettuce and tons of onions. Cheesesteak wise it has to be steak, cheese, onions, mayo and mustard. I have had authentic ones in Philly with cheese whiz and without and I just prefer my way. But no matter what type of sammich it has to have good bread, great fillings on shitty bread ruins everything.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Dirge Eterna said:
omega 616 said:
Mine kind of changes depending on which I had longest ago, chip butties, sausage butties and bacon butties are all awesome!

I feel I am missing out though, Americans have things we don't ... like WTF is a hoagie? WTF is a sloppy Joe? WTF is a burrito?
Lol whats a Buttie?
A buttie is a sammich, 2 bits of bread with a thick layer of butter on each and something in the middle.

It's just slang the working class use, like brickies, plumbers, sparks etc they always accompany it with a builders brew, hands caked in dirt and ate in a white van or partially built wall.

It's a stereotype to be honest.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
There's two that I'm a sucker for. One is a Ruben. I loves em so much. Perhaps because I do so enjoy pastrami and sour kraut. The other is a Monte Cristo. It's sandwich made from what is essentially french toast. I'm sure it's massively unhealthy but I don't care. Especially if it comes with a side of jalapeno jelly.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
My "base level favorite sandwich" that I make myself consists of as fresh as I can get it Primo Taglio Pastrami, Armstrong Swiss Cheese and Maille Ancienne Style Mustard (Coarse Grain/Brown Seed Mustard) on German Style Rye Bread. It's my lunch staple when I feel like a home made sammich. A more complicated home-made Sammich that I love is a Monte-Cristo with Sourdough Bread, Smoked Provolone and Double Smoked Bacon (from a European Market that just has the best butcher shop).

Other than that a Chopped Beef Brisket Sandwhich or Pulled Pork Sandwich from Holy Smoke BBQ or a Pork Bulgoggi Vietnamese Style Sub with Cilantro and Fresh Thin Sliced Jalapenos from Subs n' Bubs would be my favorite.

antidonkey said:
The other is a Monte Cristo. It's sandwich made from what is essentially french toast. I'm sure it's massively unhealthy but I don't care. Especially if it comes with a side of jalapeno jelly.
HI FIVE! Also Monte Cristo's with Monte Cristo's (Coffee, Kahlua and Grand Marnier with Whip Cream and A Cherry) are the best "wrong" breakfast combo ever...

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
I certainly recommend trying honey on toast at least once.

I also recommend trying bacon on buttered toast.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
yeti585 said:
Crab cakes, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub. Sometimes I go with yellow mustard instead of mayo, depending on how I feel that day.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I do enjoy a good Philly Cheese Steak.

The hoagie that all that tasty meat deliciousness is in better be nice and fresh otherwise it ruins the whole thing.

A bad sandwich brings bad times man. D:
I don't really like Philly cheese steaks because they tend to use cheese whiz.
Cheese whiz?

What the hell kind of person would use fake plastic tasting "cheese" on a perfectly delicious sandwich filled with steak?

Either real cheese or they can stay out of the kitchen. :mad:
Sorry bro, an euthentic Philly Cheese Steak comes with Cheese Whiz. You can use real cheese if you want, but then it's not an euthentic philly cheese steak.

-------------

I love me a good Gyro.

Ruben is a close second.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
RoBi3.0 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
yeti585 said:
Crab cakes, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub. Sometimes I go with yellow mustard instead of mayo, depending on how I feel that day.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I do enjoy a good Philly Cheese Steak.

The hoagie that all that tasty meat deliciousness is in better be nice and fresh otherwise it ruins the whole thing.

A bad sandwich brings bad times man. D:
I don't really like Philly cheese steaks because they tend to use cheese whiz.
Cheese whiz?

What the hell kind of person would use fake plastic tasting "cheese" on a perfectly delicious sandwich filled with steak?

Either real cheese or they can stay out of the kitchen. :mad:
Sorry bro, an euthentic Philly Cheese Steak comes with Cheese Whiz. You can use real cheese if you want, but then it's not an euthentic philly cheese steak.

-------------

I love me a good Gyro.

Ruben is a close second.
Then I guess I will be a filthy blasphemer of the pure Philly.

If eating it without the Whiz is so wrong then I don't ever want to be right. :D

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
omega 616 said:
Dirge Eterna said:
omega 616 said:

Lol whats a Buttie?
A buttie is a sammich, 2 bits of bread with a thick layer of butter on each and something in the middle.

It's just slang the working class use, like brickies, plumbers, sparks etc they always accompany it with a builders brew, hands caked in dirt and ate in a white van or partially built wall.

It's a stereotype to be honest.
Ah ok I gotcha, in America we tend to use Mayo, mustard or ketchup as our sandwich sauces mostly.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Stuff I buy

Lamb Gyro on a pita
Corned beef Reuben on rye
Turkey Club on wheat
BLT on soughdough
Dinghy Sub (Turkey, cream cheese, cranberry sauce)

Stuff I make
Grilled chicken caprese on ciabatta (with basil pesto and tomato tapenade)
Ham + Mayo + sauerkraut + mustard
Grilled Cheese with pepperoni