Sucker Punch: Visuals, Music, Story

Noebahde

Apr 2, 2011
I saw Sucker Punch with negative feeling but with time to think and by reading other opinions I have found this was colored by the volume of the music causing dizziness. So before I reach a final conclusion i would like to hear others opinions( preferably those that challenge mine).

Visuals: The visuals create worlds done with a style that blends everything together so nothing seems out of place in that world (zeppelin, dragon, samurai statue with Gatling gun).

Music: I need to watch the movie again to get a better feel. The first impressions that at first the music seems to match but it feels like throwing noise at a scene for the sake of playing something rather than no music at all.

Story: The characters appear to have depth but doesn't make them worth caring about all the danger is meet with meh feeling with success and loss. The story does come off as confusing but this does allow people to pry deeper into the meaning it poorly comes across. If this is intentional it does allow for a deeper movie engaging movie but that's a slippery slope.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
It's a Zack Snyder film, so of course I loved it.

But yeah the theater I watched it in was half-empty. Don't know why.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Shirokurou said:
But yeah the theater I watched it in was half-empty. Don't know why.
It may not be the same case where you live, but at least here, it has been very little advertisement. I can only recall seeing one single poster for it, and that was outside the cinema.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Just ( i mean, like 1h ago) came back from the cinema after watching it. I have to say, i liked it a lot. The visuals were really nice, and i loved the action scenes. The music was also good, even if it didn't suit the era the movie was in.

I do believe the camera work was very well done. Though i have to say i didn't really care that much when
the first girl died.
But when 2 others did the same, it made me a bit sad.

But overall i really enjoyed the movie. MovieBob was right, i suppose.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I liked it. It wouldn't make my list of Top 10s, but it was a good and unique movie. I liked that her "dances" were shown not by her dancing, but by her being dropped into a sort of video game world. The entire movie actually reminded me of a video game, with the levels and "4 things you must collect". Sucker Punch might be the best Video Game movie ever made, even though it's not explicitly based on one.

I agree with you on the music. The singing was a bit jarring at times. But at the same time, the remix of White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane was haunting and fit the story well.

I also agree that I did not really care about the characters. For me, this was because there was never enough time to establish or develop them. I did not feel anything when some of them died, nor did I feel satisfied by the ending.

I would give it 7.5/10. It's a good movie, with great, unique action, and an engaging plot. But the characters, while interesting, are not established well. The entire movie left me feeling like it could have been much better.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think part of the problem is a lot of people are comparing it to Inception, so they go in expecting Inception. But Sucker Punch is one of those movies that you shouldn't go into expecting everything to make a whole lot of sense. Sure, the basic premise and main conflicts, but it's a story about traumatized (and probably mentally ill) women, and its being told from their perspective. Very little of it is completely literal, especially once you get into the 2nd and 3rd acts.

And the truth is, a lot of people don't like that in a movie. They don't go to a movie to see something that asks questions at the beginning and leaves you with more in the end. They go to a movie to see a linear story in its entirety laid out before them and every important detail explained in a perfectly clear manner. And when not everything is clear, that messes with the formula they're expecting. And if that unexpected formula is undesired, you can bet their overall experience will be mediocre at best. Ambiguity is a hard thing to sell to the general public.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Vakz said:
It may not be the same case where you live, but at least here, it has been very little advertisement. I can only recall seeing one single poster for it, and that was outside the cinema.
True. i saw it's trailer like once.
But I knew it before hand cause I keep o=an eye on Synder's upcoming works.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Heh, I hadn't even heard of it before I saw Escape to the Movies :p

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
I enjoyed it, I would probably put it in my List of FAVORITE movies... But I wouldnt put it in my List of BEST movies... Yknow, one of those

Noebahde

Apr 2, 2011
Lilani said:
And the truth is, a lot of people don't like that in a movie. They don't go to a movie to see something that asks questions at the beginning and leaves you with more in the end. They go to a movie to see a linear story in its entirety laid out before them and every important detail explained in a perfectly clear manner. And when not everything is clear, that messes with the formula they're expecting. And if that unexpected formula is undesired, you can bet their overall experience will be mediocre at best. Ambiguity is a hard thing to sell to the general public.
That type of thinking reminded of the movie Dark City being purpose confusing to engage you into the main characters situation drove many people away from a very well done thought provoking movie.