Suda 51 Details His Next Game Set in the Killer 7 Universe

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Suda 51 Details His Next Game Set in the Killer 7 Universe

Killer is Dead sounds like it makes about as much sense as its predecessors.

Goichi "Suda51" Suda's studio, Grasshopper Manufacture, has been very busy of late. It's released eight games in the past two years, and while none of those games have faired quite as well with critics as Killer 7 and No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw is the studio's most commercially successful title to date.

Grasshopper seems to be returning to its familiar, whacky-action stomping grounds with Killer is Dead, announced last April. Details on the game have been sparse, but Suda has talked about the title in his column in Japanese gaming rag, Famitsu.

"Development has already been ongoing for an extended period of time," he wrote. "It's the first game in the 'assassin' series that Grasshopper Manufacture has worked on in a while, a title that picks up where Killer7 and No More Heroes left off."

In Killer is Dead, players take on the role of Mondo Zappa, a middle-aged bloke with a Mega Man-esque gun (which can also apparently transform into drills and other objects as you progress through the game) embedded in his left hand. Zappa receives a job offer from the Brian Execution Firm, which tasks our intrepid hero (or anti-hero as the case may be) with seeking out and murdering other assassins. In a cute nod to Killer 7, Zappa's gun/drill arm can absorb the blood of fallen enemies, letting him unleash special "Adrenalin Burst" sword strikes that can one-hit kill foes. As is seemingly traditional for Suda's games, it will also feature "high speed wrestling-like action."

"It's the story of a man who doesn't show himself much in the public world," Suda continued, "but still worms his way into society and mercilessly eliminates the evil dispersed in it. It's a personal story, not one that's conscious of the chaos going on in the real world at the moment, but you might get more than a taste of that in the end anyway."

Okay then.

Killer is Dead is scheduled for release this summer in Japan.

Source: Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/]via Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/16/3881868/grasshoppers-suda51-gives-first-full-details-on-killer-is-dead-his].

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
Full blown squee over here. Killer7 is still one of my favourite games of all time. While I'm still a huge Suda51 fan, I've been less stoked on his more recent work (although I still put Lollipop Chainsaw in my top 5 for this year). Hopefully with a return to this universe we will also see a return of his true brilliance.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Oh god yes. Bring it on you crazy bastard. Hammer my mind and push the "surreal" bar as far as it can go. I'll do my part to reward you for it, Suda-san.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Bring it Suda, can't wait. I know I've missed some of your more recent games but you've released some gold over the years, No More Heroes is brilliant and Shadows of the Damned was a diamond in the rough for me.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010

Oh my, yes. Yes please. Give it to me Suda. Give me it all... No More Heroes and Killer7 are still your best games by far, but I want more. Day 1 purchase, for sure.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
I hope that the game can capture the style and atmosphere killer 7 did and while I love Suda and all his games since killer7 his games have never quite had the same punch killer7 did.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wait do Killer 7 and NMH take place in the same world?

Anyway I was going to say something else. Oh there it is. YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-dont make this simple like the last few games-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
At the very least it'll be really cool to see some more of the universe. Looking good. :D

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I've got to be the only Killer7 fan not 100% looking forward to this but...

Killer7 was really an open and shut kinda game, and it really felt golden on its own. I really enjoyed just the right amount of information given about the world to make you guess, and now that's likely gonna change. Oh well. Cautiously optimistic.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think he literally was stating it's in the same universe, more of the direction their games were going 'till Shadows of the Damned.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Development has already been ongoing for an extended period of time," he wrote. "It's the first game in the 'assassin' series that Grasshopper Manufacture has worked on in a while, a title that picks up where Killer7 and No More Heroes left off."
Does me mean that as in "aesthetically", or is saying that Killer7 and No More Heroes are set in the same universe?

greasedweasel

Jul 28, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
Wait do Killer 7 and NMH take place in the same world?
I've always assumed they do. One of the ghosts in Killer7 is named Travis Bell, and bears more than a passing resemblance to Travis Touchdown.

Also, the guy that bursts into the bathroom at the end of No More Heroes looks a lot like Garcian Smith, but I seem to remember reading an interview with Suda51 where he insisted that it isn't him.

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
Trying to contain my hype, not doing well so far...

After that streak of painfully mediocre games lately I'm just hoping here that he will return to his old glory.

Don't blow this chance Mr. Suda

Twinkey

Feb 15, 2011
Great to hear, although i've heard speculation that all of Suda's games take place in the same wacky universe.
Hopefully Killer is Dead is just a follow up in spirit since i'd hate to see him tread old ground.

Anyway, my body is ready but not so sure my brains are.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I always look forward to Suda 51 games. They're so take it or leave it. Just doing whatever he wants.
However liking the concept of Killer 7, I did not like the look of the gameplay, but I'm still hopeful for this.