Suda: No More Heroes 3 is like "Diarrhea"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Suda: No More Heroes 3 is like "Diarrhea"

The creator of No More Heroes [http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Heroes-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000X25GW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278691719&sr=1-2] believes that game development is just like purging your bowels.

Goichi Suda, aka Suda51, CEO of videogame studio Grasshopper Manufacture, recently did a video interview with the Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/video/2010/apr/01/goichi-suda-no-more-heroes-2-grasshopper] where he detailed his game development process and the way he came up with the concept for No More Heroes. It all seems to come back to using the bathroom.

"With No More Heroes, the idea came when I was literally sitting on the toilet," he said. "It was the result of trying to empty my bowels, if you like." This much has been made fairly well known in the past. However, Suda also compares the emptying of his bowels to the continued development of the No More Heroes series.

"With No More Heroes 2 [http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Heroes-Desperate-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BRZ9AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278691719&sr=1-1], I tried to get rid of whatever was left over in my bowels, and luckily it all happened. What we are hoping to do now with No More Heroes 3 is probably to digest everything we eat, and then purge absolutely everything in our guts, just like diarrhea!" So, in other words, No More Heroes is just like the experience of eating out at a dingy Mexican restaurant. I never knew game development was so uncomfortably simple.

Even when Suda isn't talking about his bathroom antics, he can't help but allude to them. He also said in the interview that: "Travis' stories and his motives came thick and fast. As I had a strong desire to meet Travis again, everything happened much smoother than we anticipated." Gross. What's going on with Grasshopper and, for lack of a more mature term, poo? I know one developer's offices that I'll never want to visit.

(Via: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178691])

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
what a charming comparison. There are many, many, many better metaphors that convey the same meaning, and not comparing your game to a runny pile of crap.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
That's unpleasant, did he really have to say that? seems some of us haven't passed our second year in primary (elementary) school...

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
Talk about pulling an idea out your ass...
Zzzzzing!

That's going on my a quote-it-note on my wall! Props to you!

SextusMaximus said:
Seems some of us haven't passed our second year in primary (elementary) school...
And those guys would be breaking the rules by registering here, so it's all good.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Interesting take from the man who encourages bathroom breaks during game saves.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
what a charming comparison. There are many, many, many better metaphors that convey the same meaning, and not comparing your game to a runny pile of crap.
Have you PLAYED no more heroes?
This is probably the most accurate metaphor I've seen.

It stinks, it's tedious, and it's a little bit painful. He put it better than I ever could.

At least he knows the game is crap.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
...Seriously? Purging bowls compared to No More Heroes? I know the game is about as serious as a slaughterhouse run by clowns, but COME ON!

Calumon: 0.O W..W...What?

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I get some of my best ideas while on the potty. It is a time when you have nothing to do but wait for your biology to finish taking care of business, and so the mind tends to wander. If you are like me you mind tends to wander to solutions to problems that have been unsolvable for the past hour of "productive" sit at desk time.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Given the quality of his shit, I say give him some fiber and stand back.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I think this video game studio is my favorite. Not everyone can make such magical comparisons.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
yeah that makes sense cause everyone thinks of killing thousands of people with a beam katanas while sitting on the toilet

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
Distorted Stu said:
Zzzzzing!

That's going on my a quote-it-note on my wall! Props to you!

SextusMaximus said:
Seems some of us haven't passed our second year in primary (elementary) school...
And those guys would be breaking the rules by registering here, so it's all good.
*Bows* You are welcome!

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
The AVGN certainly would agree.

"Like if I just shat into a bag and wrote "Back to the Future" on it, that would be the same as this awful piece of shit" -AVGN

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
UUUUUUUUUGH, why did I see something like that coming?

Suda51 is a strange, strange man though... I mean, why would anyone compare their game to diarrhea? There's a lot of other, more bearable analogies for that kind of idea process, surely?