Suda51 Is Making an Evangelion Rhythm Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Suda51 Is Making an Evangelion Rhythm Game

One of the most bizarre Japanese developers of all time is making a "rhythm action game" based on one of the most bizarre anime series of all time. Huh?

There are tons and tons of licensed games based on popular anime titles that never make it outside of Japan, but this one has a particularly interesting pedigree: Yesterday, Dengeki PlayStation announced that Namco Bandai would be releasing a new title for the PSP based on Gainax's landmark 1995 mecha series Neon Genesis Evangelion, a bizarre and cerebral journey about an adolescent boy forced to fight strange alien monsters by his jerkass dad.

The title - named Evangelion Sound Impact - will be developed by Grasshopper Manufacture, the studio responsible for notoriously bizarre and off-the-wall fare like the lauded Killer7 and No More Heroes. Grasshopper's offbeat mastermind, Goichi "Suda51" Suda is listed as the game's creative producer.

Okay, so we have a PSP game based on an infamously strange anime, created by a studio best known for its infamously strange videogames. But it gets (potentially) weirder: Also involved is Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka, who will be responsible for arranging and remixing 30 pieces of music from the Evangelion series, because Evangelion Sound Impact is actually a rhythm game.

Rather, it's a "rhythm action game," whatever that means. According to the world ending with everyone turning into orange goo while strangely upbeat music played in the background [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/15/eva_grasshopper/].

This is too weird for me. I think I need to sit down.

(On the other hand, if the game played like the synchronized battle sequence you see here to the right, that would be amazing.)

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/15/eva_grasshopper/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NOOOO

I love you Suda51.

But I despise Evangelion so much. Even after watching the movie.

But since this is mostly about the music...I don't mind it as much.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Now all where missing is Professor Hawking, John Lesley, Phil Neville, The Wu-Tang clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs monster, and Daniel Day Lewis so that we may commence Operation: MIND-FUCK!.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Hmm..

..nope, still don't care about NGE or any of its related merchandise.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
This would've been a great idea for an April Fools Day article.

I'll still trying to process the weirdness...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I could see it...

I mean, the N64 game was basically nothing but a bunch of Quick-Time battles...same idea as a rhythm game.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
He should be convincing Kojima to develop a Snatcher remake, but oh well, I'll take whatever he gives us, I've never seen a crap game from him so far. Suda is my favourite developer.

I almost squealed like a little girl when Johnathan Holmes from Destructoid asked him about No More Heroes 3 on Wii-U and he was like "Of course! Of course!"

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
IF I can play a rhythm game of Operation Yashima or that last scene in 2.0.... DAY ONE.

This had better come over (it won't)

Feb 26, 2011
You know, I REALLY wish I had something witty to say about this...but I got nothing...Other than the fact that this is one of the FEW times in my life I actually wished I owned a PSP....actually...this is THE only time in my life I actually wished I had a PSP. >.>

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait what?

Now I think about it knowing how bizzare Suda 51 can be and the anime itself, they will go well together.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
What is this. . . I don't even.

I'm pretty sure if Suda51 works with the Evangelion franchise my sanity will die forever. And it will be awesome.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Because, seriously, who else but Suda51 could match the inexplicable Gainax-ness of Evangelion?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I would love to know their thought process for this.

Employee 1: "Lets make a rhythm game."
Employee 2: "Alright."
Employee 1: "And lets base it on Evengelion."
Employee 2: "...What?"

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Evangelion... synchronization... rhythm game...

Dude, it almost makes too much sense.

I'm not a huge fan of that series, but this sounds pretty awesome if done right.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
"You can't forget love and pride, because of that it's killing me inside"

They better release this game for the US, it is actually making me want a PSP.

Onyx Oblivion said:
NOOOO

I love you Suda51.

Why the hate brah?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Elementlmage said:
"You can't forget love and pride, because of that it's killing me inside"

They better release this game for the US, it is actually making me want a PSP.

Onyx Oblivion said:
NOOOO

I love you Suda51.

Why the hate brah?
Standard crappy ending hatred. Nothing special.

:)