Suggest me an RTS.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Age of Empires is my RTS of choice, preferably Age of Empires 2.
AoE 2 isnt as pretty as AoE 3 but i find it is better in gameplay.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Cpu46 said:
ah defiantly this or if you want something different the Total War series is Great!

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Cpu46 said:
I second that.
Edit: or third...

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
Dawn of War II

Campaign is pretty nice since there aren't too many guys to manage, multiplayer options are more traditional but still fun.

Also the chaos expansion comes out tomorrow ^_^

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Like someone above me said, try Warcraft 3 and Starcraft.

Also try out some Command and Conquer games.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I second fourth or fifth (damn ninjas) Age of Empires and would like to add Rise of Nations to that list. Specifically Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, if you like a bit of fantasy and steampunk mixed in with your RTS.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Total Annihilation, its over ten years old but still fun as hell. Saying that its one of those old school 'Build up a ridiculously big army and having a fucking huge battle' RTS's that seem to have gone out of fashion these days. Also try Sins of a Solar Empire if you like Space Strategy Games, its very slow paced but surprisingly addictive.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Total Annihilation, its over ten years old but still fun as hell. Saying that its one of those old school 'Build up a ridiculously big army and having a fucking huge battle' RTS's that seem to have gone out of fashion these days. Also try Sins of a Solar Empire if you like Space Strategy Games, its very slow paced but surprisingly addictive.
^ This and if you are not into old games I suggest you try Supreme Commander. I assume you have played warcraft 3, everyone did!

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Nothing is better than some good old Command and Conquer...or any other game in that series. Starcraft is pretty fun to (gross understatement). Supreme Commander and Age of Empires are also fun. Make sure to get the PC versions, they are usually far superior (and easier). Then there is MechCommander2, which is a successful integration of MechWarrior games into an RTS. If you like large explosions, tactical thinking, minimal resource management, and still having the stress of holding off 20 better equipped mechs charging at your five and you only have the high ground, then it is a must (and its giant robots fighting, without Michael Bay!). Civilization games are also fun. Most of the ones I mentioned are hard to find though...

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Discrodia said:
Dawn of War II

Campaign is pretty nice since there aren't too many guys to manage, multiplayer options are more traditional but still fun.

Also the chaos expansion comes out tomorrow ^_^
And if you gotta have larger numbers, try the first Dawn of War.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.
Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Alright, if you play for battle tactics, get Medieval II Total War, but if you go for micromanagement, ie building towns/bases and fighting a battle at the same time, go for Supreme Commander. I'm like you. I'm good against computers, but other humans crush me. These games are great fun.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:

Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Plus it doesn't make you install Steam or Games for Windows live like it's sequel does.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
CD-R said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:

Plus it doesn't make you install Steam or Games for Windows live like it's sequel does.
Eeeexactimundo

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
Depends what you want out of an RTS. If you want a game where you can amass a horde of Destruction and Testosterone, while not giving a damn about your little fellas, then go for Starcraft or any Command and Conquer game ever. Except Renegade. Stay the fuck away from that.

If you want a realistic FPS where you care about the lives of your individual soldiers and your tactics are more than 'Fill build cue > Rush > Open Chat Box > Write "N00b lol"' then your best bet is Company of Heroes or the slightly less good, Men of War.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Sir Kemper said:

I fall into that category as well... But I have been playing Age of Mythology recently. Really good. I would also recommend the original Dawn of War series (DoW, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm) if you like WH40K.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Cpu46 said:
If possible get The Conquerors Expansion pack.

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
Im in the Starcraft 2 beta and atm its shaping up to be one AMAZING game!.. get Starcraft 1 and warcraft 3 until it comes out.
ive played alot of RTS's and Starcraft is definatly the best

Also Red Alert 3 sucks donkey d***