Suggest me an RTS.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.
Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Except all the races have been nerfed into oblivion and orks are the only race that are effective, were they were the only weak ones.

DoW 2 isn't a typical RTS, there are no buildings to build very few upgrades and I can build the best units in about 4 clicks from the start of the match.

I would suggest C&C, easy to learn difficult to master.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
If you don't want to deal with resources and crap and want to focus on tactics find a copy of Myth II: Soulblighter. Its a relatively old game by Bungie but it looks and plays great. I love it because of its focus on medium to large squad tactics and not resource management.

Of course if you enjoy resources, you can never go wrong with Age of Empires.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.

well, I know, I suck at RTS

i'm honing my skills ( sound's like noob, damm) on easy C&C, and working up, but before that, and still, im playing turn-based, i'd suggest it, it's quite fun too :D

but if you must have RTS

check out the warhammer demos, they're pretty cool

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
Company of Heroes: It's far more strategic than most other RTS games, and the single player campaign is beautiful, yet fun.

Sajuuk-khar

Oct 31, 2009
For something different I'm gonna suggest the Homeworld series. It's as far as I know the only RTS series with actual 3D movement, as it's in space so you can attack from below and above as well.

Aside from that most Command & Conquer games are pretty good. Age of Empires II is definitely awesome. Sins of a Solar Empire combines RTS with 4X, and makes you manage your planets as well. The real-time battles in the Total War series are cool.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Sir Kemper said:

Age of Empires 2 - Must have.

Red Alert 1 2 etc - Must Have.

Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Sun - Must have

Tiberium Sun - Pretty cool.

max2 - i don't know many people who know it but I liked it.

and ofc the token starcraft and warcraft mention.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
omega 616 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:

Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Except all the races have been nerfed into oblivion and orks are the only race that are effective, were they were the only weak ones.

DoW 2 isn't a typical RTS, there are no buildings to build very few upgrades and I can build the best units in about 4 clicks from the start of the match.

I would suggest C&C, easy to learn difficult to master.
Tau are good if used effectively. And Chaos are stupidly strong.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
someone said Red alert 3, and if you can handle very annoying DRM, they would be right. both DoW games and their expansions are pretty easy to learn. DoW 2's first expansion just came out, actually, so now may be a good time to hop on.

JohnRLRF

Oct 25, 2009
SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE

watch this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5jU1s5cqbE

also this page http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

this game has updated alot, i still rock the origional release format.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Medieval 2: Total War: Kingdoms
Age of Mythology: The Titans (Atlanteans suck but it adds some needed anti myth for norse)
Company of Heroes
Starcraft
Age of Empires

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
Future Hero said:
<==== Anything but this!!!

I've personally found Red Alert 3 to be tons of fun recently, and it's ridiculously easy to learn.
anything but not starcraft 2? sounds like a good idea to me...

OT: warcraft 3 is pretty damn good, and I don't even like RTS games that much.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Sir Kemper said:

Where'd you get the RUSE beta?

PS:
Try Halo Wars. It's very simple. Command and Conquer 3 is a great RTS, but the Scrin make the game a bit hard to play, since they're a bit overpowered.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
I would definitely like to back Company of heroes and Starcraft, and would tentatively say Warcraft 3, though I'm not a huge fan of some of its systems. Can't really speak on other games, as I lack the experience.

asdasdasdasda

Oct 17, 2009
Age of Empires 1 and 2 are great, and if you like Star Wars you could try Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds which is essentially a clone of AoE2 except set in Star Wars. Starcraft and Warcraft are also fantastic (all of them) however War3 is a micro nightmare. Red Alert 2 is great, but I thought RA3 to be complete shit. Probably a good bet to go for CnC the First Decade if you want that, I found it quite hard to find.

If you're going to play online, prepare to lose, and prepare to lose a lot. Many of these are old games, which means that most anyone you play will have a lot more experience then you.