Suggest me an RTS.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
Deadlock Radium said:
LoL.
League of Legends as it is actually named.

There's a free version with only one map (It's still a very good game) and a pay version with all the maps.
Quite frankly the only reason LoL is called strategy is because the genre spawned of one. Also, you won't get more maps if you pay for LoL, you can play the entire game for free. The only things you really have to pay for are skins.

More on topic, I'm going to suggest a few less traditional RTS: World in Conflict (lots of fun and quite accessible), Multiwinia (cheap, chaotic fun, and quite original), and Defcon

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
I loved the Cossacks series, it's not technologically demanding, easy to get into, the bot AI is pretty good for off-line matches and it uses 17th century troops so you get to use musketeers. It is very old though.

LDKS150

Nov 5, 2008
Medieval 2 hands down! 3000 troops on screen and you really gotta think about what you're doing! Plus the LOTR Mod is epic win!

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
w-Jinksy said:
the orginal dawn of war games apart from soulstorm.

Their simple and fun to play and have a literal fucktonne of mods.
Also heed this advice, but that's coming from a guy who plays 40K

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Empire Earth II (WITHOUT EXPANSION PACK) is good, the original homeworld is really good.

KrakFoxx

Oct 29, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
omega 616 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.
Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Except all the races have been nerfed into oblivion and orks are the only race that are effective, were they were the only weak ones.

DoW 2 isn't a typical RTS, there are no buildings to build very few upgrades and I can build the best units in about 4 clicks from the start of the match.

I would suggest C&C, easy to learn difficult to master.
Tau are good if used effectively. And Chaos are stupidly strong.
The imperial guard are good if you build quickly, defend yourself early and you will kick ass in the end.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
There is a ton of RTS games you can play if you aim on just having some fun. World in Conflict, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, Dawn of War etc.

However, if you aim on becoming an overall excellent RTS player, then the list gets significantly more narrow. Blizzard RTS games in general are most favourable for competitive play. As it should come as no suprise, I particularly recommend StarCraft. While it is a difficult game to learn (especially since the UI is very outdated by modern standards), it is also very well balanced and a lot of fun to play. Plus, if you become good at StarCraft, then you are practically guaruanteed to be very good at other RTS games as well.

You could also consider getting StarCraft II once it comes out. While it is currently unknown how it will turn out once it actually gets released, I am in the beta and the game (even in these early stages) is already a lot more solid then most RTS games are at launch. So while it's by no means perfect (yet :p), it certainly has the potential to be a worthy successor.

Ulfsson

Mar 17, 2009
I'll agree with all of these:

Sins Of A Solar Empire
Supreme Commander
Command & Conquer
Age Of Mythology
Age Of Empires
Dawn Of War (the first one.)

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
The easiest of the games to pick up are the Age of Empires (or age of mythology) games because there is none of the blizzard-style-ability-micro-management stuff, its nice and simple. So thats a good easy way to start. Then progress to something like Warcraft 3 or Dawn of War which are allot more complex and frantic. Don't bother with Starcraft, it hasn't aged well, just wait for the new one.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Go back to the beginning.
Dune 2
Yes, this.

Plus I also recommend (As probably previously stated by a number of Escapees):
Starcraft
Red Alert 3
Dawn of War 1 and 2

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Homeworld or Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Brilliant voice acting and storyline, which is extremely rare for an RTS. It's not like any RTS ever. Homeworld 2 is good also, but not quite up there. Homeworld is easily the superior of the three, but I personally love Cataclysm as well.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Medieval II: Total War is my favourite. Complicated, but very engaging and more realistic than any other, I'd say.

microwaviblerabbit

Apr 20, 2009
In terms of recommending, I would currently go with Command and Conquer since the first three games are free (and pretty damn fun).

http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Warcraft 3 is excellent, and loads of fun. Same goes for Age of Empires 2 and Dawn of War 1( although Soulstorm is so buggy it is not worth it.) Any of these is pretty much guaranteed fun, so it is up to you if you want fantasy, history(ish) or ultra-violent Space.

I would ignore Red Alert 3 over getting The First Decade since Red Alert 2 is far more fun in my opinion. The DRM is annoying too on Red Alert 3.

Also Command and Conquer Generals is great.

KnightXENO

Mar 10, 2010
Homeworld 1 & 2.

Total A./Sup Comm were also good, but nothing has been as enjoyable as homeworld RTS wise in my opinion.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
omega 616 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Sir Kemper said:
Hello Escapist's, recently i've been playing the RUSE beta and enjoying myself, however i fall into that familliar catagory of 'people who love RTS games, but suck at them'.

So, my question for you today is: What's an RTS game you enjoy, and what RTS games do you think i might enjoy.

Yes, i realise i left it sort of vauge on what i enjoy in RTS games, but i'm open to almost any series.
Dawn of War and its 3 expansions. It's relatively simple, yet so addictive, and the races are all so diverse.
Except all the races have been nerfed into oblivion and orks are the only race that are effective, were they were the only weak ones.
The most overpowered races are Tau and Eldar, according to the consensus on GameReplays.org. Tau Fire Warriors' damage output exceeds that of any other race, and in the early game too. Eldar have Dark Reapers who have great damage, good hp, and decent melee. They can be micro-ed with fleet-of-foot, which increases movement speed, to avoid being engaged in melee, and out-firepower any non-vehicle unit apart from Fire Warriors. Dark Eldar and Chaos are considered to be High-Tier. Orks, Space Marines, and IG are mid-tier. Necrons and Sisters of Battle are considered to be low-tier.

All Tier systems have their drawbacks and subjective differences, but the Top Tier is widely agreed on. Orks may be High Tier. (Orks won the last tournament I watched. Then again, 3/8 players were playing Orks.)

I only mention this because I've been watching several DoW:SS tournaments, and that seemed to be the opinion of the skilled players.

OT: My favorite RTS used to be Age of Empires II. I stopped playing it a long time ago, but I still enjoy Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III to this day. I like AoE III worse than the other 2, but it is damn pretty to see all those cannon-physics. I enjoy playing Ottomans and massing Great Bombards, the biggest cannons you can build in the game.
Dawn of War was a lot of fun too, it was full of flavor. I really enjoyed Dawn of War II as well(I actually played it before DoW I). DoW II doesn't really have staying power, but it was an enjoyable Single-Player campaign.
I tried Company of Heroes, also made by Relic, but I was finding the Single-Player Campaign pretty irritating. I'm not that skilled a player, maybe that's why, but it really seemed like the Computer was massing Panzers at a MUCH faster rate than I could deal with them. The part where you prepare a setup to defend the town was really irritating too. I set up all these heavy defenses, then suddenly the computer has infinite artillery strikes because of a scripted event, and all my forces disappear, leaving me a single engineering squad to hold off 5 Panzers and the rest of the German army.

Homeworld 2 was also fun, although the Single Player was pretty challenging near the end. Your tactics in that game REALLY matter. Don't let your fast fighters and bombers rush in without support, or you'll just lose them all. Unfortunately your best tanking ships are also your slowest ones. It's also fun to zoom into their view and look at what they're doing as they fly through space (The "F" key I think).

Star Wars: Empire at War was improved by Forces of Corruption and the additional units that brought. Just make sure you patch the game, otherwise the Smuggler/Pirate/whatever faction will be WAY overpowered in space battles (they have more powerful units, and without the patch, those units are far too cheap). I didn't like the land battles at all, but the Space Battles were always fun. Unfortunately, I don't have any game-owner friends to play with, so all I had was the AI to play against. The no-good, cheating, evil AI who somehow gets the same resources as me even when I control all the resources on the goddamn map.

I'm not a particularly skilled player, yet all these games were fun.

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
Guy32 said:
Cpu46 said:
Age of Empires is my RTS of choice, preferably Age of Empires 2.
AoE 2 isnt as pretty as AoE 3 but i find it is better in gameplay.
I second that.
Edit: or third...
I fourth or fifth this motion...is the bill passed yet?

OT:
Empire Earth is actually a pretty swell game, it spans all of time and is very fun. You can even zoom in to watch your soldiers die even closer...hehe.
If you want one that's simple yet lacking, Star Wars: Empire at War is actually pretty fun--except for the ridiculous unit cap.