Suggest me some good graphic novels

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Having lived in New York for 2 months now, I finally worked up the nerve to visit Midtown Comics (which I hadn't done for fear of financial ruin). Having finally ventured forth, it put me in the mood to read a good, new (to me at least) series.

As a frame of reference, my favorites are Wanted, the Loeb/Sale Batman books (Long Halloween, Dark Victory, etc.), Scott Pilgrim, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and the Marvel Civil War.

Suggestions? Personal favorites? Tell me my taste in comics is shit? Have at it.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Sigh.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.245343-Your-top-5-graphic-novels

Why make a topic like this when a reference you can use is only a few posts down?

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
Check out 300. I haven't personally read it, but I'm really curious about what its like. I've wanted to check out Marvel Zombies as well, I've heard its really good.
I read mostly Ultimate X-Men, and nothing else right now. Otherwise I'd be even poorer than I already am.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Pyongyang, Shenzhen, and The Burma Chronicles, by Guy Delisle. (3 books) They're really interesting travelogues of sorts, with some great writing, art and observations.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I thought 300 was terrible. I find Frank Miller in general to be horribly overrated. You can't go wrong with Preacher.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
If you liked The Long Halloween, you'll probably like Batman: HUSH too.

Watchmen of course is a must-read.

Knightfall is not without its charm.

And the Gargoyles comics are really good if you enjoyed the show.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
Does Kingdom Come count as a graphic novel? That is definitely one of my favorites, if so.

Serperoth

Sep 9, 2009
V for Vendetta, Marvel 1602, 52, Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader, the Scott Pilgrim series. Those I've read.
Now I've heard Watchmen is good, Kick-Ass (film is good), and Sandman is supposed to be pretty good too.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
The Punisher, Garth Ennis Marvel Max run, The Watchmen, The Walking Dead and the Earth-X novels (though it gets a little convuluted and dumb towards the end with Paradise X).

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'm not a particular fan of Superman. I think he's so absurdly overpowered that it's night impossible to write a compelling story about him. I tell you this, so that when I tell you what I thought about Red Son, which I read recently, you understand my full significance. It's an alternate history in which Superman's rocket crashed in the Ukraine rather than Kansas, resulting in Superman being brought up as a Soviet citizen.

And it's BLOODY AWESOME.
BrionJames said:
The Punisher, Garth Ennis Marvel Max run
Also, very much this. Born is one of the finest comics I've ever read. It is, as with most of Ennis' work, astonishingly violent, but that only adds to how powerful the story is.
TaboriHK said:
I find Frank Miller in general to be horribly overrated.
Agreed. I read Batman: Year One having been told on a number of occasions that it's the best Batman story ever. My response: it's ok, I guess, but nothing special.