Suicide Squad reviews are in and it sounds like they should of stayed locked up

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-early-reviews-bad/

?Suicide Squad is bad. Not fun bad. Not redeemable bad. Not the kind of bad that is the unfortunate result of artists honorably striving for something ambitious and falling short. Suicide Squad is just bad. It?s ugly and boring, a toxic combination that means the film?s highly fetishized violence doesn?t even have the exciting tingle of the wicked or the taboo. (Oh, how the movie wants to be both of those things.) It?s simply a dull chore steeped in flaccid machismo, a shapeless, poorly edited trudge that adds some mildly appalling sexism and even a soup?on of racism to its abundant, hideously timed gun worship. But, perhaps worst of all, Suicide Squad is ultimately too shoddy and forgettable to even register as revolting. At least revolting would have been something.?
?The movie [is] a motley amalgamation?a strange blend of different tones, stories ,and pacing all mashed into something that has cool individual elements, but never really comes together? Some of the action is fun, some of the characters are great, and it does reach some nice emotional peaks. But it never feels like a true, cohesive movie. It feels a B-movie?an action-packed one, but a B-movie nonethelesses?that just happens to be set in the DC Universe.?
?Suicide Squad is weird. And it?s an interesting kind of weird: awash in black magic, gooey eyeball monsters, and Escape From New York-like explosive neck devices. It has great potential to be a silly, pop-art infused action film in the vein of Guardians of the Galaxy. Or perhaps it could?ve been something darker ? a character drama about people who do bad things suddenly learning to do good. Or, as it turns out, it could just be an excuse to have a bunch of costumed actors wander around, shoot guns and crack flat jokes. Ayer has constructed a monumental mess here ? a film so haphazardly put together that you get the impression that it was edited using a blender on the ?ice crush? setting.?
Ouch, Warner and DC appear to have another dud on there hands. Looked decent from the trailers but these reviews make me wary. Why DC didn't appoint Geoff Johns from the start I'll never know.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Marvel looking at reviews like

DC really lucked out when they had Nolan, it seems.

Ah well, Marvel payola accusations should be good for a laugh, at least.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Not only that, but it looks like a right fugly film. Not even interesting fugly, but like a shit alternate-universe Earth devised by Hot Topic (...yep, looks like they've got a tie-in clothing line) and these mentalists:

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Just read some of the reviews in the link, and lets be fair here - They're not all bad. A lot of the reviews, even the negative ones, said it had some good stuff going for it. It may even have risen to the level of 'Acceptable action pop-corn flick,' from what I'm reading.

But, even in the reviews that were positive, it seems like a common thread has arisen - It's editing sucks. Bad. Everyone seems to have a problem with the editing and pacing. And this is after the shit show of Batman vs. Superman, which was so catastrophic that it's Bluray campaign was basically 'We re-edited, guys. We promise we fixed it! Spend 30 bucks so we can prove it, please!'

Maybe WB can read these reviews and discover where their big problem may be - Either they need to fire their entire editing department, or can all the executives that keep meddling with the people they trust to edit their films.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
There are some good reviews mixed in with the crap ones, and even the most toxic reviews seem to have a dollop or two of kindness in there to levy the mix. By and large it sounds like a confused and disappointing mess though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My spidey sense was tingling ever since they introduced the Joker as a bling-wearing, smarmy hipster with 'DAMAGED' written on his forehead in crayon, are Harely became a cliche penis-envy-riddled tough punk rock girl straight out of that god-awful Sucker Punch movie. It never felt like they understood the source materials or the characters, and just wanted to compete with Marvel to remain relevant in this century, but knowing Marvel has the 'good' thing down, they went for an 'edgy and 'tr?s chic' viral marketing movie.

To be fair, if they changed the soundtrack to slow saxophone jazz and drum, made it all black/white and added monologues, I'm sure it'd be a decent Sin City movie.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I bet WB will release a special edition Bluray version with 30 minutes of extra footage that makes the film far better. An the world will wonder why they hadnt shown that version in the cinema.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Will this be another case of too many suits on the production floor giving orders?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Trust me when I say this I was never that excitd for Suicide Squad, just was not into the overall concept, reminded me too much of GOTG and I hated that movie.

I guess the re-shoots really did fuck this movie in the ass.

And David Ayer? The writer of Training Days?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
Just read some of the reviews in the link, and lets be fair here - They're not all bad. A lot of the reviews, even the negative ones, said it had some good stuff going for it. It may even have risen to the level of 'Acceptable action pop-corn flick,' from what I'm reading.

But, even in the reviews that were positive, it seems like a common thread has arisen - It's editing sucks. Bad. Everyone seems to have a problem with the editing and pacing. And this is after the shit show of Batman vs. Superman, which was so catastrophic that it's Bluray campaign was basically 'We re-edited, guys. We promise we fixed it! Spend 30 bucks so we can prove it, please!'

Maybe WB can read these reviews and discover where their big problem may be - Either they need to fire their entire editing department, or can all the executives that keep meddling with the people they trust to edit their films.
Warcraft had pacing problems aswell

What the fuck is going on with Editors these days?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
Actually they aren't. Contrary to what people believe, Marvel wants DC to succeed. When a movie fails, it harms those around it, and this is double for movies in the same genre (or, as is the case with superheroes, a perceived genre that isn't actually a genre). Suicide Squad failing isn't good for Marvel, and if it happens hard enough could be financially detrimental to them.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Zontar said:
Andy Shandy said:
Actually they aren't. Contrary to what people believe, Marvel wants DC to succeed. When a movie fails, it harms those around it, and this is double for movies in the same genre (or, as is the case with superheroes, a perceived genre that isn't actually a genre). Suicide Squad failing isn't good for Marvel, and if it happens hard enough could be financially detrimental to them.
So wouldn't that make their borderline-sabotage and hand-wringing over the failure of Fan4tastic petty on an almost unimaginable scale?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
MCerberus said:
So wouldn't that make their borderline-sabotage and hand-wringing over the failure of Fan4tastic petty on an almost unimaginable scale?
Oh yes, indescribably so. It's quick shocking when you actually think about the business end of things, an almost similarly large self inflicted injury as the intentional quality downturn in Marvel's comic line.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeconte said:
Marvel doesn't have anything to do with Fantastic 4 movies, that's 20th Century Fox, and I highly doubt Marvel could have done anything to sabotage that movie any more than Fox already did.
Marvel has, outside of the movies, completely destroyed the Fantastic Four IP, from killing them off in the comics (of course with the door being left open for them to come back) to removing all the merchandise from every store shelf, there is basically nothing left from the team outside of used products being resold.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Glorifies violence poorly? Rascist? Sexist?
To be honest, the first linked review almost makes me want to go see it now xD Just needs a few more -isms.

But I'll stick to my usual policy of judging a film years after its release ty vm, it's proven the best policy.

Besides if I want suicide squad done right, there's already Assault on Arkham and that one justice league episode, those were pretty kickass.