Suicide Squad was awesome, critics high on crack

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
After the critical failure of Batman v Superman, a lot was riding on the success of Suicide Squad. If it failed, then it could spell disaster for the MCU. When critical reviews finally hit, things looked grim. The film settled into the 20's, suggesting coming failure. However, when the film hit, it proved to be a phenomenal summer flick, and most likely a very lucrative one. Indeed, it was one of the best action flicks in years.

This created questions. If the film was so good, then why did critics hate it? Some even theorized that critics were being bribed by Marvel. Now, however, new information has surfaced to reveal the true reason for the bad critical reception.

It turns out the viewers were all coked out of their minds. In a stunning turn of events, every single movie critic that reviewed the film prior to release attended the same theater. At some point someone snuck in bags of coke and hookers. The viewing quickly devolved into a drug filled orgy reminiscent of that one scene from Wolf of Wallstreet.

"We just lost our minds. People just started banging things indiscriminately. I'm pretty sure I humped a lamp. A friend of mine thinks he ate a guy. Honestly, it's all a blur. When it was all over, we were ashamed. We agreed never to speak of it. None of us actually saw the movie. We agreed to give it a terrible score to hush things up. I mean, it's a DC movie. How good could it possibly be?"

The answer seems to be pretty damn good.\
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/08/06/the-critics-must-be-crazy-suicide-squad-is-a-blast/#3c53ffd75ce4

Viewers, obviously confused and upset over the reviews, have even launched an ineffectual (and rather ill informed) campaign against Rotten Tomatoes. For the time being the critical reception still appears to be mixed. Financially, the film is set to break all August box office records, including former champion, Guardians of the Galaxy.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I didn't saw the movie myself [and I won't because I don't have enough trust to give 7 euro to see a movie from DC/Warner Bros], but from reviews I saw/read they have a basic critic: The editing s*ck hard and it made the movie injustice it seems.
I HOPE they are wrong, but as I said, paying 7 euro for Batman v Superman [6/10] was the trigger to watch first reviewes for DC movies.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is this the same guy who claimed that Superman thought Batman was bad because Bats only attacked poor people? EDIT: Right site, wrong writer.

Jesus, the negative part of his review basically said the story and editing was the worst part of the movie. And there is nothing I despise more than some lone asshole saying "My opinion is right, everyone else is wrong and also stupid!".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
This movie should have been the start of the DCMU. It also makes me want a bunch of prequel movies for most of the characters. I'm a huge MCU fan, and not too big on DC, but I loved this movie...aside from Joker who sucked.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Saelune said:
This movie should have been the start of the DCMU. It also makes me want a bunch of prequel movies for most of the characters. I'm a huge MCU fan, and not too big on DC, but I loved this movie...aside from Joker who sucked.
Funny saying that, because most critics love the new Joker "somehow". The negative was the Joker doesn't had a lot of screen time.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
My big problem with this movie is every person I see defending it, also goes on to defend BvS... which I feel warrants its poor critical reception. I am happy that it is opening big and am curious to see how it does overall due to my interest in the DCU.

However, for me, I haven't been interested in this premise since it was announced so I am also not in the demographic for the movie - which is certainly relevant. If BvS would have been good, I may have went to see this, I don't know. It really is hard to tell. I don't have any interest in watching Gotham for THIS very reason. Watching a movie about "villains" saving the world just feels odd to me. It would have to be handled with great care for me to enjoy it I would think and it doesn't sound like this one was. This one by every account I have seen is admittedly loud, crass, and shooting from the hip and comes off as sloppy as a result and I seriously doubt there is much for me here. If this movie is to your movie tastes, I am happy it isn't garbage because I would like to see the DCU get better film translations. Wonder Woman is looking awesome.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
SweetShark said:
Saelune said:
Funny saying that, because most critics love the new Joker "somehow". The negative was the Joker doesn't had a lot of screen time.
I guess we found the problem then. Leto's Joker is the worst Joker. It was just Ledger Joker with Gangster/Pimp style and growling. Though I hold that Ledger Joker is shit too, and of the movies Nicholson is the best since his Joker seems like he actually wanted to make people laugh, in twisted ways. Certainly of the 3, the closest to Hamill Joker, which is virtually agreed to be the best Joker.

Every scene he was in, I kept imagining how Hamill Joker would react. WWHJ Do?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zenja said:
My big problem with this movie is every person I see defending it, also goes on to defend BvS... which I feel warrants its poor critical reception. I am happy that it is opening big and am curious to see how it does overall due to my interest in the DCU.

However, for me, I haven't been interested in this premise since it was announced so I am also not in the demographic for the movie - which is certainly relevant. If BvS would have been good, I may have went to see this, I don't know. It really is hard to tell. I don't have any interest in watching Gotham for THIS very reason. Watching a movie about "villains" saving the world just feels odd to me. It would have to be handled with great care for me to enjoy it I would think and it doesn't sound like this one was. This one by every account I have seen is admittedly loud, crass, and shooting from the hip and comes off as sloppy as a result and I seriously doubt there is much for me here. If this movie is to your movie tastes, I am happy it isn't garbage because I would like to see the DCU get better film translations. Wonder Woman is looking awesome.
Yeah, this film was a lot better then BvS. The plot is comparatively simple, and as a result it never loses track of where the stories headed.

Pros: The film makes excellent use of practical affects, giving it a real and grounded look that most modern action movies lack. The film is largely irreverent and funny, and not nearly as self absorbed as BvS. The characters all have a great deal of heart. Some are anti-heroes, some are straight up villains, but they're all likeable in a smarmy asshole kind of way. Contrary to some of the reviews I've seen, the tone of the film is completely consistent. There were worries that the studio tried to turn a dark movie into a comedy, resulting in scenes that don't work well together, like in Star Wars Episode 3. This doesn't seem to be the case at all. They may have added a few classic pop soundtrack, but it doesn't take away from any of the scenes, and it actually improves quite a few. Playing a happy pop song while the characters fly into a burning city is pretty surreal, and it captures the anarchic tone of the movies perfectly. The characters are mostly somewhat simple, but after the failure of BvS, this is a good thing. The characters are established, but there's still room to expand. The characters are all unique, and approach situations differently. Dead shot acts like a soldier. Harley behaves like a street scrapper. Their individuals. The joker is in it just enough to be interesting, but he's not in it enough to distract from the films main premise. He largely exists to expand Harley's character arc, which is as it should be. While the Jokers appearance as a kingpin gangbanger was initially distracting, his personality is more in line with the animated series. To my surprise I enjoyed every moment he was on screen.

The cons: while I enjoyed the soundtrack, it did sound like the studio was trying take ideas from Guardians of the Galaxy. There wasn't enough time to explore some of the minor members of the Suicide Squad. It mostly focuses on Harley and Deadshot. The one or two scenes that use CGI weren't the best.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
The problem with Suicide Squad is that it's a great movie, but they only showed us half of it. Almost every scene was good, but seemed to be missing 20-30 seconds on either side that would help it gel with the rest of the film.

It could have also benefited from presenting the story a bit more like Deadpool. If it had opened with the team flying into Midway, then cut back to getting them together, then back to the 'present' and occasionally flashing back to their individual back stories, I believe it would have improved the pacing and helped gloss over the occasional incongruities in the teams dynamic and the progress of the mission.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So I was reading a list of deleted scenes from the movie, and apparently just about all the scenes that are in the trailer aren't in the movie.
Joker with burnt face showing up after the helicopter crash? Nope.
Joker saying "i can't wait to show you my toys." Nope.
Deadshot looking sad at the rain? Nope.
Harely putting a gun to Joker's head and then he slaps her, like in those 'leaked' photos from a few years ago. Nope.
Harely using her baseball bat as a fake gun. Nope.
Harely taking everyone's orders at the bar. Nope.

For fucks sake, isn't there a law against false advertisement?!

Source: http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scene-rumors/

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Fox12 said:
Financially, the film is set to break all August box office records, including former champion, Guardians of the Galaxy.
What, because of its opening? That's a bold prediction, Cotton, let's see how it works out for you.

Here's another article from those blog-wranglers at Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/07/suicide-squad-box-office-a-record-breaking-but-front-loaded-135m-weekend/#7ece45142558

The film is going to need more than a strong opening to break box office records, it's going to need legs. And there's nothing to indicate that will be the case. Quite the opposite, based on early trends, which is what one would expect from a critically savaged film. That it opened into one of the most lackluster/moribund summer movie lineups in recent memory would have helped fuel its debut. Seriously, what's the competition? The Ghostbusters reboot? An under-marketed 5th Bourne film?

For what it's worth I expect Suicide Squad is probably the best of the DC offerings thus far, which might seem like damning it with faint praise, but positive momentum is still positive momentum.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, you see, the thing about fanboys is that they're so self-invested in their chosen franchise that anything less than fawning praise feels like a personal attack to them, so they lash out. (Though trying to shut down a review site just because it had bad reviews on it is a brand-new level of fanboyism to me.)

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I love how whenever the critical reception of a film or game differs from a certain group's (DC fanboys, the people who got annoyed at Ghostbusters 2016) there's always accusations of bribery or collusion or "agenda-pushing". Because god forbid someone having a different opinion.

From what I've heard, Suicide Squad sucks. I'll probably give it a pass.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I'm on to you people. Trying to flood the Off Topic section with 'Are the critics biased' trash threads to drive us all to the Wild West.

Well, I'm not falling for it. You can't make me move!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
WickedFire said:
It could have also benefited from presenting the story a bit more like Deadpool. If it had opened with the team flying into Midway, then cut back to getting them together, then back to the 'present' and occasionally flashing back to their individual back stories, I believe it would have improved the pacing and helped gloss over the occasional incongruities in the teams dynamic and the progress of the mission.
So, you're saying if it had presented the members of the team using their powers, or engaged in some kind of heist (like this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqUMtQw8fo]) it would have been improved significantly?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Joker saying "i can't wait to show you my toys." Nope.
Harely using her baseball bat as a fake gun. Nope.

Source: http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scene-rumors/
You think they keep those scenes to keep the whole "Fun and Witty" tone for this reshot theatrical release ;P

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Seen it last night. It's... okay-ish.

Will Smith is good. Viola Davis is very good. Margot Robbie is fantastic. Jared Leto is utterly wasted.

I enjoyed the two hours I spent watching it, but if it was 8/10 when I left the cinema it was 7/10 by the time I got home, and it'll probably be 5/10 by the time I've thought about it some more.

The behind-the-scenes stuff that is now coming out about the editing process is terrifying. Leto has no presence in the movie because most of his scenes ended up on the cutting romm floor for the sake of a lighter rating friendly tone. The picture being painted is of a studio utterly in thrall to preview audiences and willing to compromise any shred of artistic integrity or just basic competence that the creative teams are trying to deliver, because they're still desperately trying to do the Marvel thing.

And it's still not working.

I said it after BvS and to my regret I'm saying it again now - WB/DC need to just scrap this entire project. Suicide Squad is the best of their four attempts to date (yeah, they may pretend that Green Lantern doesn't exist, but it was part of this fiasco) but being the best of a bad lot doesn't make it good.

It's frustrating to watch them waste such good actors in this way. After they way he's been treated I doubt Leto is even interested in reprising this role, and if I were Margot Robbie's agent I'd be strongly advising her NOT to commit to a Harley Quinn solo movie right now. She's a rising star, and the last thing she needs is for WB/DC to give her a Catwoman sized millstone around her neck.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Dizchu said:
I love how whenever the critical reception of a film or game differs from a certain group's (DC fanboys, the people who got annoyed at Ghostbusters 2016) there's always accusations of bribery or collusion or "agenda-pushing". Because god forbid someone having a different opinion.

From what I've heard, Suicide Squad sucks. I'll probably give it a pass.
As a non DC super fan (though I am for Marvel, and hope MCU stays forever) I liked it. I was cynical, but I think it is good enough, atleast if you have -any- interest in DC. I don't think movie reviewers are part of some grand conspiracy cabal, but I think there is a pretentiousness among movie reviewers that has kept me from giving a fuck about movie reviews anymore. Game reviewers are getting there too though, but that's not the discussion here. I think people should give this movie more of a chance than they are though.
Sixcess said:
Seen it last night. It's... okay-ish.

Will Smith is good. Viola Davis is very good. Margot Robbie is fantastic. Jared Leto is utterly wasted.

I enjoyed the two hours I spent watching it, but if it was 8/10 when I left the cinema it was 7/10 by the time I got home, and it'll probably be 5/10 by the time I've thought about it some more.

The behind-the-scenes stuff that is now coming out about the editing process is terrifying. Leto has no presence in the movie because most of his scenes ended up on the cutting romm floor for the sake of a lighter rating friendly tone. The picture being painted is of a studio utterly in thrall to preview audiences and willing to compromise any shred of artistic integrity or just basic competence that the creative teams are trying to deliver, because they're still desperately trying to do the Marvel thing.

And it's still not working.

I said it after BvS and to my regret I'm saying it again now - WB/DC need to just scrap this entire project. Suicide Squad is the best of their four attempts to date (yeah, they may pretend that Green Lantern doesn't exist, but it was part of this fiasco) but being the best of a bad lot doesn't make it good.

It's frustrating to watch them waste such good actors in this way. After they way he's been treated I doubt Leto is even interested in reprising this role, and if I were Margot Robbie's agent I'd be strongly advising her NOT to commit to a Harley Quinn solo movie right now. She's a rising star, and the last thing she needs is for WB/DC to give her a Catwoman sized millstone around her neck.
Leto Joker was aweful. I'm glad most of his stuff got cut. I thought he was going to have a bigger role than he did (I thought he would have joined the team halfway or something) but hes just around to motivate Harley which made him bearable, but he was trash.

And while I already feel a dislike of movie Harley fans, I am actually now looking forward to her personal movie. Though I hope its more like Harley and Poison Ivy teaming up or something. I'm just glad they had her correct origin story, cause the trailers made it seem like she wouldn't be connected to Joker like she is supposed to.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Well, I haven't paid much attention to critics since I found out that Die Another Day is the worst of the Bond films (it remains my personal favourite, despite Skyfall being rather good). So it's good to hear actual people saying that Suicide Squad is worth watching.

I've sat out most of the wave of comic book films, this was one of the few that seemed vaguely interesting due to the whole antihero angle.