Suicides Spur Nintendo, Sony, and Others to Investigate Foxconn

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Tharwen said:
Foxconn, where work makes you free.

OK, maybe that was in poor taste, but it's still feckin' weird.
Considering they have guards beating the workers it wouldn't shock me if that actually had that posted someplace and somehow I doubt things will change.

theklng

May 1, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
LightspeedJack said:
Holy shit...I kind of feel guilty for buying so many of their products.
Nah, I only bought a single mobo with the Foxconn label like 3 or 4 years ago and I don't use... well... I also bought a 360... and a Wii... and an iPod Touch... and 3 NDS (really, that thing breaks way too easy)...
you do know that foxconn practically manufactures practically ALL graphics hardware and motherboards? that they have a different company name or logo on them does not make a difference, they still come from the same processing plant.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wow that's kinda...well very scarily weird
especially having to sign a promise NOT to commit suicide
that in itself is a bad (and sad) sign

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Oh, these guys have been around forever. This is just their big comeback since their last location got shut down. You know, the one that had "Arbeit Macht Frei" written over the entrance.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Maybe they were ritualistic, and they're trying to summon demons to manufacture the products for them...

CONSPIRACY?!?!?!

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
danpascooch said:
Isn't this the SAME company where the Iphone prototype got lost and the guy killed himself over it? Jesus, this company needs to be investigated.

EDIT: Read the wikipedia page, they tried to drag a reporter into the factory, when the police arrived, they told the reporter he could file a report, but they said that Foxconn has "Special Status Locally"

Over ten deaths in like 5 months, some of the accounts are ridiculous like "Drowned in the company building's pool, but was an able swimmer"

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON THERE?
It's like they're manufacturing evil ninjas that will doom the world.

And with that labour record I think it's best they shut them down for good.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
I don't mean to lower the tone or anything, but one of the guys in the picture looks like the G Man.

jords

Once mauled a bear
Oct 20, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Remind me never to apply to work there. Holy hell! That is an insane suicide rate!
It's less than the suicide rate in china generally. Remember they have 450,000+ employees. 10 is not a big number in comparison. I think a lot of people have absolutely no sense of the scale these companies work at.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Probably some may think this is some left-wing ranting what I am about to do, but please consider this:

You can say: Bad China! How dare they do such things?!
But don't forget that this kind of shit is, indirectly, made possible by people like you and me. Sure, there are lots of companys who outsource what not to China for their cheap labor (and things like shown above) and we probably all have a few dozen labels in our home saying "made in China". It's easy to say: If you don't want it, boycott it. But I know from experience, alas, that it's very difficult to avoid. But you can always try to minimalize the chance of buying products that come from this pitts of hell by trying to inform yourself about the options of an article befor you buy it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
When a bunch of body parts are found in tightly wrapped garbage bags in the building's dumpster, I think you can rule out suicide.

One look at their web site and I wanted to commit suicide. Is this like a sweatshop for programmers?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Well it is China, Definitely no surprise there. We all know nothing is going to be done about this ever.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Ok. An employee does break the agreement and kills themselves. What are they gonna do? Prosecute a dead man?