Suikoden and Suikoden II Coming to Vita Next Week

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Suikoden and Suikoden II Coming to Vita Next Week

Two hard-to-find classic RPGs will soon be available on your Sony handheld.

RPG fans, rejoice: Suikoden and Suikoden II are coming to the PlayStation Vita. The news was just announced at the PlayStation Experience keynote, where it was revealed that the Konami role-playing games are some of the most-requested titles for the handheld. If you were among the fans clamoring for these games to make it to the PlayStation Store, you don't have long to wait: both games will be available next week on December 9.

Suikoden was originally released for the first PlayStation in 1995, so it's appropriate that the beloved RPG is making its way to another Sony platform almost 20 years later. Suikoden II followed a few years later, also on the PlayStation. A Suikoden II ESRB rating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133908-Suikoden-II-ESRB-Rating-Could-Point-to-PSN-Re-Release] was discovered earlier this year, which seemed to point to a re-release, but this is the first time it's been made official.

One of the great things about digital gaming on modern platforms is how accessible it makes games like these. The re-release of decades-old games may not seem like press-conference-worthy news, but for fans of classic RPGs, having Suikoden and its sequel readily available really is a gift.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Daaaaaang, yo. I thought that would never happen. Now the value of my Suikoden 2 disc goes down $100.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
Daaaaaang, yo. I thought that would never happen. Now the value of my Suikoden 2 disc goes down $100.
Well, we always knew, and this is a great victory for us! Sorry about your collector's copy, but $250 dollars was way too high of a price for the game.

https://www.facebook.com/SuikodenRevival

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
[HEADING=1]:O[/HEADING]

Oh my stars, yes. Yes, please!

I love the first Suikoden and it would be perfect for my Vita. The platform would be perfect for old school games and it's about damn time it finally got on there.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, I thought they already were available through PSN. Great titles though and I hope it means we'll be seeing the rest of the series again too. This is the sort of thing that would make a perfect anthology package with soundtracks, art books, etc.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
I still have PSX copies for I & II. Have been wanting to buy an old PSX for years now, just for those two games. Man, why don't they just give them a PC release, GOG would be perfect. It's a shame Konami didn't manage to produce worthy successors. Damn, sometimes I feel like an old, nostalgia riddled old fart; most modern games don't interest me at all, but there some old gems I thoroughly miss.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
47_Ronin said:
I still have PSX copies for I & II. Have been wanting to buy an old PSX for years now, just for those two games. Man, why don't they just give them a PC release, GOG would be perfect. It's a shame Konami didn't manage to produce worthy successors. Damn, sometimes I feel like an old, nostalgia riddled old fart; most modern games don't interest me at all, but there some old gems I thoroughly miss.
There actually is a PC version of Suikoden floating about, but I have a funny feeling it was never translated to English. I have my copies of 1 and 2 stored away, but the ISOs along with an emulator keep me entertained when I have the nostalgia hitting me.

Seriously, the Suikoden series remains one of my favourite RPGs around with particular focus on 1 and 2. Quality games, adorable graphics and great soundtracks.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I really wanna try these games... I may have to buy a Vita... maybe.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
PunkRex said:
I regretted it when I was a launch day adopter, but now I couldn't imagine being without it. Plus gives you tons of games to play every month, and there's Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Ys, P4 Golden tons of indie games like Spelunky, Lone Survivor, The Swapper, and Rogue Legacy, as well as Binding of Isaac, Dragon's Crown, and Borderlands 2 on the go. If you're into Minecraft it has arguably the best portable version outside of carrying a laptop around with the PC version.

Probably sounds like I'm selling it, but I'm really really glad I didn't sell it at this point (kicking my own ass for selling the "damned ZombiU player" now that Bayonetta 2 and all that is out on Wii U).

What I'm wondering with this Suikoden thing is...are 1 and 2 being released as a Vita game? Or are the PS1 originals going to be available. Because I thought they already were. Either way I need to replay these gems now.

Side Note to Konami: The MGS HD collection is great to have on the Vita, and doing anything with the Suikoden IP is a smart idea. You're on a roll. Redeem the horrible Silent Hill collection with a Vita one and make a badass Castlevania game for the system. Unless that crippling fear of money strikes again...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I might have to get a Vita... but I would have preferred if II could finally get a PSN release...

Then I could play it on my ps3

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
now to hope that they're PS TV compatible... but no. It's Konami so we can fuck ourselves.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Now we need Metal Gear Acid 1&2 on there as well. That's my biggest gripe with the Vita, some of the better PSP and PS1 titles just aren't on the PSN. Like Final Fantasy I&II 20th Anniversary editions, which are superior to the shitty Origins version. Also Breath of Fire III.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I am pleasantly surprised to see such a positive response here. My prior efforts to recruit for the SRM have been largely met with awkward silence haha!

47_Ronin said:
We are adding both GoG and Steam to the SRM's goals. You are right that GoG is a very good fit, but unfortunately Konami does not yet have a working relationship with GoG, so we have been trying to start one. Obviously, the success of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam, as well as releases of FFVII etc, bode well for the game on that platform, too.
PunkRex said:
I do not think you will be disappointed. The sprite art has aged much better than many of the early attempts at 3D RPGs on the platform, while the Story and Soundtrack are timeless. IDK what the Vita is going for nowadays, but considering that the physical copies of Suikoden II were going for about $250USD on eBay, you may actually save money.

DrunkOnEstus said:
What I'm wondering with this Suikoden thing is...are 1 and 2 being released as a Vita game? Or are the PS1 originals going to be available. Because I thought they already were. Either way I need to replay these gems now.

Side Note to Konami: The MGS HD collection is great to have on the Vita, and doing anything with the Suikoden IP is a smart idea. You're on a roll. Redeem the horrible Silent Hill collection with a Vita one and make a badass Castlevania game for the system. Unless that crippling fear of money strikes again...
Well, if you want to know more about the games, there is always Suikosource.com and us at facebook.com/SuikodenRevival . Personally, they are my favorite games, and I am really glad people who missed them on the PSone are now getting interested in them. Konami has had its serious troubles, yes, I bought the SHHD collection like many others and was just. . . appalled. But -in particular- Konami Europe and UK have been very kind to us at the SRM, and I think they are starting to swing around back to the company they once were. Even if they still have a long ways to go.

Draconalis said:
I might have to get a Vita... but I would have preferred if II could finally get a PSN release...

Then I could play it on my ps3
These are PSN releases and they will be playable on the PS3. There is some confusion here as many thought that this was a Suikoden I+II collection, but it is simply PSN releases of the PSone Classics. Since all Psone classics must be unaltered from their original discs, these are not ports. In the North American PSN, Suikoden I was unavailable for Vita, but available for PS3 and PSP. Now, SI will be made available for Vita and SII for PS3 and Vita.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Honestly, I thought they already were available through PSN.
They aren't Vita compatible for some reason, as I found out when they were on sale a while back.

Sony and company really screwed the pooch with Vita compatibility.

Grant Stackhouse

Dec 31, 2011
Suikoden 2 is a game that I first played illegally on a hacked psp years ago. I loved it so much, that after I beat it, I actually hunted down a legitimate copy for my game collection. It's about time Suikoden 2 got a digital release. I would love to play it on my vita.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ryan Hughes said:
Sorry I had to post this because I am so excited.

Grr...I hated killing him. Just...die. He took an army, literally. And even then, your actual army had to get involved to kill him. Man, what a fight. A boss fight if ever there was one.

I loved both of these games. I still have both of the original PlayStation discs for them. I really wish they'd release a new Suikoden game. IV was a bit of a misstep, but V got it back on track. I want VI already.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Damn you Sony! I was hoping to trade in my Vita, and NOW you give me a reason to keep it!

Next thing you know Legend of Dragoon will finally make it to the European servers!

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Fasckira said:
There actually is a PC version of Suikoden floating about, but I have a funny feeling it was never translated to English. I have my copies of 1 and 2 stored away, but the ISOs along with an emulator keep me entertained when I have the nostalgia hitting me.

Seriously, the Suikoden series remains one of my favourite RPGs around with particular focus on 1 and 2. Quality games, adorable graphics and great soundtracks.
You are right, there are indeed a Korean and a Japanese version, sadly I don't speak/read any of those languages (although I tried my luck with the later, but the only sentence I still manage to squeeze out is a highly formal way of saying that my Japanese skills are very low, hilarious if you ask me).

Ryan Hughes said:
We are adding both GoG and Steam to the SRM's goals. You are right that GoG is a very good fit, but unfortunately Konami does not yet have a working relationship with GoG, so we have been trying to start one. Obviously, the success of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam, as well as releases of FFVII etc, bode well for the game on that platform, too.
Glad to hear it... but what is a SRM?

VoidWanderer said:
Next thing you know Legend of Dragoon will finally make it to the European servers!
I loved that game!

On a more serious note: Am I the only living person that liked SI better then SII?