Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo Edition

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Panel 1: "...Whoa...Who let an alien hunkster in here, huh?"
Panel 2: "Hey, look! It's Shrek!"
Panel 3: "Yeah, that's a completely rational response. Redo!"

On a related note, I'm playing the original Mount & Blade and I accidentally made my guy look a little too much like Kevin Costner...Not sure how I should feel about that, but at least he's killing people well enough.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I actually got pretty lucky when it came to this in Bioware RPGs. Only had to remake my Sheps a couple of times. Made my first Inquisitor in 2 tries (the makeup was a bit too much the first time. Too much blush).

Maybe I got good at it, or I'm just not as picky. xD

Funny comic today. :D

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Bethesda Games and Bioware too. It was okay in Fallout 3 cause there were no cut scenes and no awkwardness. Skyrim stupid a cause to change his look, you had to get a DLC :-/. Mass Effect 1 and 2 was fine but Mass Effect 3 took too long and too many attempts. Why? Cause the character kept doing weird things with her eyes and face that I didn't think my created character would do but hey bioware just messed that up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zhukov said:
Ohhhh yes. This is a process I am familiar with.

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"
Definitely also had this issue, except I ran with it anyways and got pretty attached to my ugly characters.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Yup. Every character I make in Skyrim needs tweaks after chracter creation. It's usually the mouth area. Thank the nine for console commands.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I tend to take any additional ugly in stride. If the character ends up with a silly, vacant sort of look I usually just roleplay that in.

I usually play the more alien races, though. A slightly wonky Khajiit is slightly less obviously ugly than a wonky man, I suppose. Oh, and the Dunmer! I love Dunmer. No matter what you do, they look like such grumpy motherfuckers.

(But then again, I think the vanilla Elves in Skyrim looked fine, even rather beautiful, some of them. My standards are probably not the best)

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Yep.

And seeing as I suck at making characters anyway I just pick a preset and make slight tweaks here and there. Mostly just the hair, make up and eyes but its usually enough to make them unique.

Although I did restart my dalish elf in origins after 6 hours because he was too white. I thought I could deal with it but it just kept bugging me. A guy who has lived and hunted in the forest his entire life should have a bit of a tan dammit!

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
My general rule is to set the skin tone 2 tones darker than looks good in character creation or else they look like a vampire.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Fallout 3's character creation screen was terrible for this. My first character was an attempt to recreate myself; what I actually got... well. Imagine if a young DeForest Kelley had gone without food for two weeks.

You could've sharpened knives on his cheekbones is what I'm saying.

w00tage said:
So yeah, now he wears his sunglasses in space.
So he can, so he can watch me weave then breathe my story lines?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
This gets super frustrating in Star Wars The Old Republic MMO because editing anything about your character face is locked behind the paywall, so if you're not completely happy with the character... tough.

I made a young trooper, thin and inexperienced with ginger hair (as all my RPG characters have) and when I exited and started playing instantly realised his updo and facial style made him look like Jimmy Neutron. It didn't help that I'd made him as thin as possible, and this also had the effect of warping the "armour" to such an extreme that it looked like it was bodypaint. (and also gave him a triangular chest that would have made Lara Croft blush)

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
In Mass Effect 1, I gave a black guy ginger hair... like, I don't even know how I did it! I certainly didn't mean to, but it happened!

Well my Shep was also a black skinned redhead... except I did it on purpose, for the very prosaic reason that mixing bright red hairs with dark skin was the best way I had found to make sure my game protagonists did not look like the clone of an NPC. A method I should have used more often since I just discovered that my more conservatively drawn Origins' Warden is the spitting image of Fiona: I managed to gave Alistair a massive Oedipus complex, and I didn't even do it on purpose.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
shintakie10 said:
Rabbitboy said:
Skeleon said:
You young ones are on the right path
Back in those days when dinosaurs just went extinct there was this game called TES3:Morrowind
I learned everything one need to know about character creation from it
Follow this path, it is the righteous one.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
oggebogge91 said:
How about playing for 25 hours and realizing you hate playing as a rogue? I'm crying inside.
I know them feels. Thought playing as a two-handed warrior would be fun but instead it's just really slow going. 26 hours in though and I really don't want to restart.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
yes yes this 1000 times yes.
Don't know why they don't just add some sort of 'change lighting' feature to character creation.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Seriously. I've had to remake characters so many times in Bethesda and Bioware games. As soon as the opening cutscenes are over, it's straight to a wall where I can rotate the camera to get a good close-up of my character in-game. For me it's always the skin colour, the makeup and the nose that never works.

Fallout 3's creation screen was the worst, but at least there was the final "are you sure you like your character" screen before leaving the vault and a plastic surgeon you could go to at any time during the game. In Skyrim it was "oh no, I'll be beheaded soon, oh look I'm saved, oh no run for your lives" for a good 15 minutes before they finally let you go in third-person. The absolute gall making you wait that long.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Sabrestar said:
Yes, that was Oblivion, in spades. I only ever managed to get around it by modding the races so far beyond lore-friendly that I knew they'd look decent whatever the settings.
In Oblivion every race was a mutant breed of potato-people. There was just no way to NOT go wrong.

Though, to be fair, it took Bethesda to make Fallout for them to finally have people-looking... people. And mutants. The Super mutants of Fallout 3 are prettier and more human-like than the prettiest character model in Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls prior. And in Skyrim the elves finally looked like a gaunt elegant race, instead of "OH GOD WHY! THE HORROR!"

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I may have done this a bunch of times going from female human (OH GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER FOREHEAD) to male Qunari (why can't I choose hair with the horns? Those horns look cool, that hair looks cool I WANT TO COMBINE THEM ARGH) to male dwarf (why isn't there a scottish voice actor? This isn't working!) back to female human again. That poor Chantry building has exploded so many times on my screen...