Super-Expensive Uncharted 2 Art Book Coming This Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Super-Expensive Uncharted 2 Art Book Coming This Month

There are art books and there are art books, and then there's the new Uncharted 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B001JKTC9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278529563&sr=1-1] art book, a limited-edition, leather-bound, gold-embossed monstrosity that will set you back a car payment.

Videogame art books have become all the rage in recent years. Just about every collector's edition release includes one, although what constitutes an "art book" can vary wildly, from a dozen or so stapled pages of early concept sketches to the unbridled awesomeness that came with the World of Warcraft Atlas [http://www.amazon.com/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Gold-Pc/dp/B00118SU98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278529589&sr=1-1], which I've considered picking up despite the fact that I've never actually played the game; but there aren't many of them that can compare to this beast.

Created by Uncharted 2 art book [http://www.ballisticpublishing.com] actually comes in three flavors: The standard soft cover edition, available for $65; a special edition for $129, which in retrospect maybe isn't all that special after all; and the Limited Folio Edition, for which you will pay - get ready for it - $300.

What exactly do you get for dropping three bills on a frikkin' art book? Nothing less than "a black suede leather-bound cover, with gold-embossed cover art, and a matching hand-crafted, black suede leather-bound presentation case with a ribbon to easily remove or place the Folio Edition." A presentation case! But that's not all: Each Limited Folio Edition will come with its own certificate of authenticity, individually number and hand-signed by Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells, Creative Director Amy Hennig, and Art Directors Robh Ruppel and Erick Pangilinan.

Unlike most other "limited" editions, this one is true to the term: Only 200 are being printed. And in case that's not enough, Ballistic will only ship the book to customers using "the most secure and trackable service" from FedEx or ECI. In other words, you're going to drop another 100 bucks just getting this thing to your house.

Is it worth it? It sure does look impressive; on the other hand, I picked up the super-awesome 289-page hardcore edition of EB [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Raising-David-Hodgson/dp/0761543643] for about 30 bucks. Bottom line? If I see this on sale at EB for 30 bucks I'll grab it, but otherwise I think I'd rather buy groceries for the next few weeks. The Art of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is scheduled to ship later this month.

Source: Press the Buttons [http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2010/04/expensive-uncharted-2-art-book-coming-soon.html]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ohhhhhhhhh.

i loved the artwork in Uncharted(i never got the chance to play it a lot though) and everything iv seen about Uncharted 2 looks great.

Sigh....i love Artbooks but i don't think ill drop $400 bucks for it.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Damn it, if my birthday was closer I might have wished for this.

... Or wished for more games. Which in retrospect is probably the better choice.

Rosen2012

Mar 10, 2010
HOLY CRAP. Does it like, come with some of the treasures from Uncharted or something?

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
This can be one of those times I'm glad I do not make enough money. This would be amazingly tempting, if only because I actually like art books a lot. Add on good quality, and I can be sold a little too easily...

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That's just under 3k in my land, which is about 1k less than I payed for my PS3. Somehow I don't think I'll be spending so much on a book any time soon.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Wow... just... wow.

I love the Uncharted series, but I'm not gonna spend £260 on a book related to it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
XJ-0461 said:
Wow... just... wow.

I love the Uncharted series, but I'm not gonna spend £260 on a book related to it.
Same. I mean I will admit it is pretty, and looks awesome

But, for a book and that much money...

Fools and there money

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I suspect there's a few more than 200 copies of Raising the Bar kicking about though Malygris.

Aside from the natty case, does this actually improve anything? Like print quality or size? Ballistic do pretty good printing anyway so it's going to have to do something pretty special other than a nice case.
If not I'll stick with the Softcover and a wad of cash thanks.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
400 bucks? I can seriously get an notebook for that price. My god, people are retarded. The company seriously needs to think this through.
I think they added the 200 print limit not only to save money, and to get people to buy it despite the price.

People might see the price and go no way but, once they see the limit a lot more people will be tempted to get it because its limited.
"$400? ehh i dont think its worth it, if i ever want it i can just....200 Print Limit!?!?
I MUST HAVE ONE!!!"
:p

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
maybe if it came with real gold. I love Uncharted but $400? If I had money laying around i would spend on booze, more booze and games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
In 30 years from now it'll probably be worth a shit load though - worth the investment if you can spare the cash.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
On my death bed:

"Son, in my safety deposit box you will find a tome of art for a game of minor importance called Uncharted 2."

"No, the actual game doesn't come with it. But why would you want to play that when you can look at a bunch of concept art?"

"No, they're just prints, not the original art"

"No, it hasn't appreciated in value"

"Yes, your gay uncle's Golden Girls memorabilia is in fact worth more."

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
400 bucks? I can seriously get an notebook for that price. My god, people are retarded. The company seriously needs to think this through.
I think they have thought this through. There are only 200 being produced. That appeals to collectors. Hand-signed by people from the company. Also appeals to collectors. Leather-bound and awesome. Also appeals to collectors.

There are always those out there that have heaps of money and like hoarding rare, game-related things. Just look at how much some of those rare NES cartridges go for.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Great! I needed some extra bathroom reading material. I hope it makes the "found treasure" sound every time I poop.

If people actually buy this thing this far after the game's release I think that means the global recession is officially over.

Avggoe17456

Aug 7, 2008
I actually bought this. Not the ultra mondo leather one, but the soft cover one. Yes I loved Uncharted 2 that much.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
*slaps forehead*

Well, this may have some appeal for collectors, but damn, that's a lot of money. For a concept art lover though, one would be much better off with a copy of the Guild Wars 2 artbook [http://www.guildwars2.com/en/art/the-art-of-guild-wars-2/] instead. Best concept art team in the industry :)