Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Taking the route of IGN?

Okay, yes, for a 3D Mario game it had poor sales.

However you need to look at the bigger picture.

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 1 million Wii U's in Japan. Super Mario 3D world sold about 344,000 copies in the week of release.

That means that almost 40% of all Wii U owners bought the game. And since Mario games tend to have steady sales and a good attachment rate, the more people who buy a Wii U, the more sales they will make on this game.

They aren't like regular AAA buster games where they sell like hotcakes week 1, and drop off the face of the planet a month in.

This is going to be a must buy game for any Wii U owner.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Here we go, yet another Mario game and people aren't lining up for it? Who would have thought.
I wouldn't expect it to be any different with Mario Kart U and Super Smash Brothers U.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up playing these kind of games, I had a blast playing through Mario Galaxy 2 just a few years ago, but I want something new from them already. And another Zelda, Kart of Mario Brawl game just isn't gonna do it for me, I played all that guff on the SNES, N64, Cube and Wii, not waiting to play the same stuff again on the Wii-U.

Or... people are just holding out for Christmas.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.
The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd, yes the same day as the launch of the Xbox One. The article is pointing out that compared to all other 3D Mario games in their first week, this has sold the least amount. Really it'll be up to the US sales to help this game out more because expecting a Nintendo game to sell boatloads in Europe is like expecting Microsoft to get a strong foothold in the Japanese market with the Xbox One. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

This isn't worldwide numbers. I saw the same thing yesterday and the authors of that page stated that this was Japan only.

Considering the amount of Wii U's in Japan, that's a pretty damn good sale.

What should be a bigger report though is that Lightning Returns is a colossal flop. It out beat SM3dW by only 100k units. Unlike the Wii U that has the excuse of a small install base, Lightning Returns, literally has the second largest install base as of right now and hardly beat a Wii U title at launch.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ouch I knew that the WiiU wasn't selling well but if even Mario can't shift systems then Nintendo is in trouble.

Asim Mehmood

Nov 28, 2013
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 1 million Wii U's in Japan. Super Mario 3D world sold about 344,000 copies in the week of release.

That means that almost 40% of all Wii U owners bought the game. And since Mario games tend to have steady sales and a good attachment rate, the more people who buy a Wii U, the more sales they will make on this game.

They aren't like regular AAA buster games where they sell like hotcakes week 1, and drop off the face of the planet a month in.

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell. That is the whole point of first-party exclusives.; they build installed base and make people buy the system to play them. This clearly shows that the game was not a system seller.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Souplex said:
I love Nintendo, and would love if the WiiU succeeded, but that's clearly not possible.
I think it's time Nintendo cut their WiiU losses, and capitalized on their strengths by going purely handheld.
The 3DS is doing gangbusters, and has nothing in the way of competition, Nintendo could just be the handheld company.
Or in some theoretical alternate universe, Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.
lol. Well that is pretty unlikely. Especially given that up until their recent uncharacteristic losses, they were one of the richest companies in Japan, while Sony was heavily in debt. Arguably a year or so ago, Nintendo buying Sony would have been more probable than the reverse. then again people seem to have a blind spot to how profitable Nintendo is... All they see is the games and consoles, and not the stuff that actually matters to keeping a business going...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

The main point here is that it didn't sell more WiiUs. Which you would expect a Mario title to do. A killer app if you will for the system. Sure the people who already had a WiiU will get it, Nintendo games for a Nintendo system. I mean seriously who doesn't get Nintendo games for a Nintendo system.

But it's no secret that WiiU sales have been pretty awful. But the mantra has been they just need a good game for people to buy it. And this, if nothing else, SHOULD have been that game. Not only is it Mario, but it's also been getting amazing reviews, 9s and 10s everywhere. And yet console sales aren't rising.

So I guess what I'm saying if the numbers don't turn around soon, a 100% attach rate may not be enough to recoup development costs.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell; they make people buy the system to play them. This clearly proves that the game was not a system seller.
I'm looking at both the source of the article, and various other outlets. Every single of them has said that SM3DW sold around 350k in it's first week. I'm not sure where you are getting 99K from, but that is not the numbers ANY media venue is reporting.

As such, my comment still stands. Overall the games sold 1 million units. On a console with a 3 million units install base that is far from bad, but not ideal. I would be more concerned about Lightning Returns.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Eric the Orange said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

The main point here is that it didn't sell more WiiUs. Which you would expect a Mario title to do. A killer app if you will for the system. Sure the people who already had a WiiU will get it, Nintendo games for a Nintendo system. I mean seriously who doesn't get Nintendo games for a Nintendo system.

But it's no secret that WiiU sales have been pretty awful. But the mantra has been they just need a good game for people to buy it. And this, if nothing else, SHOULD have been that game. Not only is it Mario, but it's also been getting amazing reviews, 9s and 10s everywhere. And yet console sales aren't rising.

So I guess what I'm saying if the numbers don't turn around soon, a 100% attach rate may not be enough to recoup development costs.
Look how many people on here have stated they aren't buying (any) console for a single game. This is also the fact that more people are holding out for the holidays than anything else.

You have some people on here that are only going to buy the Wii U for Bayonetta 2 or X.

At this point it's like the 3DS.

Nobody bought the system regardless of Mario games until it had a solid library of games. Same thing is going to happen for the Wii U, and I'm damn well sure the PS4 and Xbox 1 are going to experience the same thing in their first year.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SecondPrize said:
Well, it's sort of working on me as this game is the reason i'll eventually pick up a Wii-U when they've given it a hefty price cut.
Same here, I would like to get a Wii-U but it's hard to justify right now when here in the UK it's still going for £250 approx with one game bundled, and there's so few games worth getting on the console yet. Once Nintendo finally release MarioKart, SSB and give the console a price slash, then I'll be ready to invest in one.

Asim Mehmood

Nov 28, 2013
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell; they make people buy the system to play them. This clearly proves that the game was not a system seller.
I'm looking at both the source of the article, and various other outlets. Every single of them has said that SM3DW sold around 350k in it's first week. I'm not sure where you are getting 99K from, but that is not the numbers ANY media venue is reporting.

As such, my comment still stands. Overall the games sold 1 million units. On a console with a 3 million units install base that is far from bad, but not ideal. I would be more concerned about Lightning Returns.
"Facepalm!" Please look carefully at the first post or the Neogaf source link. Super Mario 3D LAND sold 344,000 in its first week which was released on the 3DS years ago. Super Mario 3D world sold only 99K/106K in it first week. Here are two more links,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/super_mario_3d_world_underwhelms_on_japanese_chart_debut

http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-software-sales-1118-1124/

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

"Facepalm!" Please look carefully at the first post or the Neogaf source link. Super Mario 3D LAND sold 344,000 in its first week which was released on the 3DS years ago. Super Mario 3D world sold only 99K/106K in it first week. Here are two more links,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/super_mario_3d_world_underwhelms_on_japanese_chart_debut

That same thread you linked is the same one in the article, which if clicked on states that they sold 420k in its first week. So either your mixing up day 1 sales with week 1 sales or every gaming outlet is wrong in their statistics.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

That same thread you linked is the same one in the article, which if clicked on states that they sold 420k in its first week. So either your mixing up day 1 sales with week 1 sales or every gaming outlet is wrong in their statistics.
Can you link to one of these sources that claims Super Mario 3D World sold 350k rather than saying "every gaming outlet"?

Also keep in mind that this is Japanese sales, not worldwide, USA or Europe.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The author should fix this thread.
The game sold that much on the first 2 days.

Also, the source of the news is a NeoGaf forum post without any proof of those numbers.
Good job gaming "journalist".

Enemy Medic

Nov 28, 2013
The problem I have with this statistic is that it's only accounting for three days of sale, and not factoring in any of the online sales. I like to spell doom and gloom over anything Nintendo as much as the next guy but I'd suggest getting a better informed source before writing something like this.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

wat

No, seriously, what?

Where are you getting these numbers from?

Both of those linked articles state that Super Mario 3D World has moved 99k units, and the source article for this thread as well as any article you click on by Googling "Super Mario 3D World Sales" states that it has moved 107k at most.

Please tell me where you're getting these numbers.

Besides, the only system that really got a massive boost by having a Mario game release on it was the Gamecube. The SNES was "the" console to own, the Nintendo 64 was selling steadily but being beaten by the Playstation, and the Wii was flying out the doors faster than Nintendo could keep up with.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Yopaz said:
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Asim Mehmood said:
Dragonbums said:
Taking the route of IGN?

Can you link to one of these sources that claims Super Mario 3D World sold 350k rather than saying "every gaming outlet"?

Also keep in mind that this is Japanese sales, not worldwide, USA or Europe.
Oh dear. It seems I got 3D land and 3D world mixed up.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
The author should fix this thread.
The game sold that much on the first 2 days.

Also, the source of the news is a NeoGaf forum post without any proof of those numbers.
Good job gaming "journalist".
Is this a better source? [http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20131127061/]

Second one down is Super Mario 3D World.