Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Asim Mehmood said:
There are no such links. He is just being stubborn and lying to save face now because he mixed up the figures. Or maybe he is just trolling and having fun by denying the facts.
Nah, there are two games with similar names, it's quite easy to mix them up.

Dragonbums said:
Mixed up the titles. My bad.
No worries, we all make mistakes. It's a shame though cause I would be thrilled if you were right. Oh well, I know I'll be getting this game as soon as I have time to actually play it and hopefully it will do OK in the long term.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ghostface2206 said:
1) It hasn't launched in Europe yet
2) It came second in the Japanese charts, just under Lightning Returns FF13
3) People in the west are waiting till Christmas
4) It sold 1/3 the amount of a Final Fantasy game, on a system with 1/20 of the install base.
5) You're only counting the Japanese charts, and the charts also don't count digital sales of the game
Furthermore, 3D Mario games don't sell as well in Japan as the rest of the world. Seriously, Mario's 3D titles have NEVER sold as much as his 2D ones, especially in Japan where NSMBWii outsold Galaxy's lifetime sales in a week. I don't get why people are getting so dramatic over this anyway as when you look at the bigger picture (and actually know the CONTEXT) suddenly it's nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make it out to be.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
TheKasp said:
Hey, people are willing to gobble up shit that had nearly the same amount of entries in the span of ~10 years as Zelda in the whole lifetime.

On a more serious note: I find it rather interesting that people love those annual game releases that are pretty much the same shit every year while criticising Nintendo that actually try to change stuff in their franchises. I mean, we have Ass Creed with 13 entries since 2007 but hey, Nintendo is the bad guy, amIrite?
Not sure if this was supposed to be a general statement or whether it was directed at me, in case of the latter; those annual releases get absolutely no love from me.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I argue that over saturation had something to do with it, seriously, how many Super Mario Land 3D Land Super 3D have we had over the past few years? Well about 4-5 according to this list... answer my own question.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Dang, I am wondering if people were waiting for Black Friday and such to see if they can get deals on it. I need to go and get this game, if only it wasn't so close to Christmas when I stop buying myself stuff.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
That's really a shame, I have the game and it's quite a lot of fun to play. Hopefully things look better for the Wii U eventually, in this case when Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 launch. Because honestly if those don't move units then nothing will move the Wii U.
It sadly isn't even out here in the UK yet, which is a shame as it looks like it could well be my game of the year!

OT: Nobody has a Wii U, ergo it has sold poorly. Give it time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Neronium said:
The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd
Odd, its not out yet here in Ireland, its out tomorrow...
UK too bronquixote broflamingo.

I might just buy it and ask for something else for Xmas, like a pile of steam credit of vouchers for Game or something to put towards a PS4.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
TheKasp said:
bluegate said:
Here we go, yet another Mario game and people aren't lining up for it? Who would have thought.
Hey, people are willing to gobble up shit that had nearly the same amount of entries in the span of ~10 years as Zelda in the whole lifetime.

On a more serious note: I find it rather interesting that people love those annual game releases that are pretty much the same shit every year while criticising Nintendo that actually try to change stuff in their franchises. I mean, we have Ass Creed with 13 entries since 2007 but hey, Nintendo is the bad guy, amIrite?
I don't think many people are praising ubisoft or activision here at least. I hate ubisoft a fair bit more then nintendo but I find it hard to be excited for 3d world when I have a fine copy of galaxy I could play.

In general though, nothing in gaming really has me excited at the moment, except a couple of smaller games and gta v was alright but nothing that grand.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Hopefully the game has some legs and continues to sell after the poor first week.

As the OP shows, the first week's sales doesn't necessarily mean long term success. The fact that the game has high metacritic scores may mean it is a better medium-term seller.

I mean, Sunshine had the 3rd best first-week sales, but the lowest overall by a large margin in the OP.

Anyway, shame. Hopefully Wii U sales pick up overall tbh. 4 million boxes have been shipped worldwide I think? Including 1.2 million in Japan? Sales aren't going to be astronomical even if a good half of Wii U owners buy the damn thing. Which is a shame, really.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I pin it on the the opinion that Mario is getting stale, My stance on Mario is the same as Arin Hanson's (Egoraptor, Game Grumps). back in the day with each Mario release there were new enemies, new items and new worlds to explore; now they just seem to dust off an ability from an older era of Mario and go "Oh, look who's back. its the Tanooki suit!". maybe the Nostalgia for mario is wearing thin?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
karloss01 said:
I pin it on the the opinion that Mario is getting stale, My stance on Mario is the same as Arin Hanson's (Egoraptor, Game Grumps). back in the day with each Mario release there were new enemies, new items and new worlds to explore; now they just seem to dust off an ability from an older era of Mario and go "Oh, look who's back. its the Tanooki suit!". maybe the Nostalgia for mario is wearing thin?
I don't know. I'd agree with this, but the two top first-week sellers in the OP were Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario Galaxy 2, which were both the two most recent 3D Mario games. If it was all down to Mario becoming stale, then surely that would be reversed?

At any rate, those two games were also sold on consoles with MUCH larger install bases, the Wii and the 3DS (we're talking orders of magnitude). And I assume that's the cause of it. There are just bugger all Wii U owners.

Edit: Then again, the fact that the Wii U is failing to ship units could be a sign that Nintendo's first party titles are slowly getting stale. So you could be right indirectly.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
I Just hope the soundtrack also received a boost, since it wasn't great in 3D Land, good, but not outright awesome like Galaxy brought us.
The OST is a bit better than Land's, but definitely nowhere near the levels of Galaxy. They reuse a lot of songs from 3D Land actually, and actually reused a song from Galaxy for the Toad missions.
But don't expect a Galaxy-level of music sadly.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
I didn't except Galaxy level (that's really hard to do), but something better than 3D Land.

Are there many new songs?
Well in all fairness it wasn't too hard to beat 3D Land. I'm on World 4 right now and there are some new songs, sadly though they seem to repeat from time to time so not every stage will have new music.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
This worries me. Great game, great company, great system, but no-one cares.
An interesting point a friend brought up at lunch recently: Nintendo owns the handheld gaming market, so if they can't maintain the WiiU until Smash Bros. Universe comes out, could they focus on that to sustain the company?

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
This worries me. Great game, great company, great system, but no-one cares.
An interesting point a friend brought up at lunch recently: Nintendo owns the handheld gaming market, so if they can't maintain the WiiU until Smash Bros. Universe comes out, could they focus on that to sustain the company?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RicoADF said:
Before certain people jump up and down, I have the Wii, as well as the other consoles of this generation and will be getting the Wii U for the next after the PS4, this isn't Nintendo hate but rather someone who wants more variety, not just kiddy games. That's why the PlayStation is my preferred console, it's got the best variety that's only beaten by PC.
If you buy the console anyway, what reason do they have to provide more variety?

neonsword13-ops said:
It's gotta be the WiiU. It's gotta be. Totally.
I'm inclined to agree. honestly. This game looks quite excellent. I have trouble believing it's the game so much as the console at issue here.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.
Well, unless we go back to them being Japan figures. then there's really no excuse, period.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
neonsword13-ops said:
Jeez, that's terrible. And I keep hearing it's one of the best Mario games in years.

It's gotta be the WiiU. It's gotta be. Totally.

If the WiiU's poor sales didn't play some major part in the sales of 3D World, I'd be surprised.

But hey, once the new Smash Bros. comes out, the WiiU will sell like hotcakes.

...Unless everyone gets the 3DS version. Which is probably more likely.
Wii U sales are up: 200% in America, 658% in Europe, & 1500% in Japan. American & European sales boost seems to be contributed solely to Wind Waker HD & a $50 drop in the console's price, while the Japanese boost is from the Wii U Party Bundle.