Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
TheKasp said:
I agree with you there, I think most big franchise like assassins creed, cod and mario should stop being a major thing but mario and zelda are much lesser evils to me. I've found nintendo ok if you skip a couple of iterations but I still think nintendo could be doing more in gaming with the potentially they have, which is a much better complaint then most companies out there. Nintendo always feels like squandered potential in places, but they don't make absolute crap often (but fuck the new super mario series, that is approaching cod levels of stale).

In short, I don't ignore the bullshit for any of them and I do think nintendo has less quantity of bullshit then most companies out there, they just don't do enough to me personally to find their games that interesting. Pokemon x and y was good though, that definitely showed progress on advancing.

Captain Sunshine

Mar 5, 2013
I'm gonna post a separate opinion and say this isn't about Mario getting stale or Nintendo losing its grip, but simply poor advertising?

I imagine Mario's got a big fanbase outside of the people who frequently check sites like this for details on upcoming games. Y'know, people who see one advert for it and go "Ooo cool!" and buy it.

Who else's first impression of this game was... less than stellar? It looked really boring to me at first. Say I'm someone who LOVED Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 which tried so hard to be epic and fun, and I was brought into the series on Wii like millions of people were. Big part of the target audience. And I see the early previews or a TV trailer for this game; it was just a lot of running over rectangular blocks mushed together and a catsuit (I know it's not that at all, but the early trailers really did not show off the creativity, and if you have one chance to catch 90% of your audience that's not the way to do it).

I'm basing this on the Wii U's problem, which is a confused message. Its install base is still low (XBox One is already about to outsell it here in England, overtaking its year in sales in a couple of weeks), and no one expected it to match the Wii but it could really be doing better. I read someone at the beginning of this thread say they sold 6 Wii U units just by explaining what it was in the store. I don't think the average person could tell you that the Wii U was a full-on improvement to the Wii with HD graphics and a new game selection. Some people think it's just another tablet because of the weird way it's been advertised.

Whereas Sony and XBone got the 'NEW GENERATION' hype going for ages and are now breaking all the records.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I guess all that talk a few months ago of how a Mario game would become a system seller was just a bit more hot air.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
These figures are also solely for Japan, so the excuse of "well, it had to compete against the launch of next-gen" doesn't fly either, as neither the PS4 or the Xbox One will launch in the region until next year.
Yeah that would be a pretty poor excuse, but do you know what would be a better one? The fact that console gaming is almost on it's way out entierly in japan at this moment. Handhelds are "the hip" thing in gaming over there. Interesting how the article conveniently leaves that important bit of info out. It's almost like it was slightly bias and..

Source: Neogaf
Oh..

I should also note that Super Mario 3D world Sold decently in America. It sold almost as much as Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One anyway, and that's saying something for an American audience.

But in all seriousness, Nintendo isn't in good shape right now, but they aren't in as bad of shape as Microsoft. Microsoft needs to sell a lot more then Nintendo does to make their gaming division profitable, while Nintendo can easily take quite a lot of fumbles. If you want a catastrophe, just wait till the Xbox One sales numbers come out from japan. That's going to be interesting.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's a good game, best with 1-2 people, any more than that and there will be blood.
Screen follows players oddly in a way that can drag the screen away from one and then death, or it's got the Mario Bros Wii issue where you can send a friend to his death erasing his power up in the process

Sooo yes, 1-2 players, unless your friends are all into the game and will cooperate.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
xPixelatedx said:
Steven Bogos said:
These figures are also solely for Japan, so the excuse of "well, it had to compete against the launch of next-gen" doesn't fly either, as neither the PS4 or the Xbox One will launch in the region until next year.
Yeah that would be a pretty poor excuse, but do you know what would be a better one? The fact that console gaming is almost on it's way out entierly in japan at this moment. Handhelds are "the hip" thing in gaming over there. Interesting how the article conveniently leaves that important bit of info out. It's almost like it was slightly bias and..

Source: Neogaf
Oh..

I should also note that Super Mario 3D world Sold decently in America. It sold almost as much as Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One anyway, and that's saying something for an American audience.

But in all seriousness, Nintendo isn't in good shape right now, but they aren't in as bad of shape as Microsoft. Microsoft needs to sell a lot more then Nintendo does to make their gaming division profitable, while Nintendo can easily take quite a lot of fumbles. If you want a catastrophe, just wait till the Xbox One sales numbers come out from japan. That's going to be interesting.
I'm sorry, but you can't go after the author for having what you think is a bad source, then make a claim without any sources to back it up, if you do then you look like a hypocrite.