Super Mario Bros. 3 Coming to 3DS/Wii U Virtual Consoles

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Super Mario Bros. 3 Coming to 3DS/Wii U Virtual Consoles

Digital versions of the classic Super Mario Bros. 3 will be making their way to the Virtual Console service on Wii U and 3DS.

There are more than a few gamers that would regard Super Mario Bros. 3 as the best game in the Mario franchise, if not the best the game ever made. A few hours of play time is all it really takes to understand why. It's about as pitch perfect a platformer as Nintendo has ever produced, coupling the tight, simple gameplay of its predecessors with interesting power ups, a colorful world that's fun to explore and filled with secrets that will keep you revisiting it over and over again.

That said, fans of the classic may have some reasons to rejoice as <a href=https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/PeQ_ntSNglQtKkjOW75aqEVPWHetWZVK>new listings on the official <a href=https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kS7M2dEEey0WWhQzDyKaRVdZRBBAChJL>Nintendo website suggest that the classic title will be making a fresh debut on the Wii U, 3DS and 2DS via their respective Virtual Console services. While Nintendo has yet to make a big hubbub about it, the Wii U and 3DS sections both now sport pages describing Super Mario Bros. 3 as being available on each platform. These pages, sadly, include no release date or pricing information, but their mere existence is pretty much a confirmation of their impending re-release.

While the Wii U release is exciting in its own right, we'll be honest and say that we're a tad more interested in the 3DS port. Super Mario Bros. 3 has, of course, seen portable <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Advance-Bros-Game-Boy/dp/B00009WAUO/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1383565379&sr=1-2&keywords=super+mario+bros+3>re-releases in the past, but the 3DS has been sadly bereft of the title despite the availability of other NES classics. Its addition is, in our opinion, a huge boon to the handheld's version of the Virtual Console and a release that you can bet we won't be passing up on.

Source: <a href=http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/super_mario_bros_3_is_leaping_to_the_wii_u_and_3ds_virtual_console_services_soon>Nintendo Life

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Well, more stuff on the 3DS eShop is always good. I've never actually played SMB3 before so I guess now is as good a time as any.

On a related note, does anyone know why Nintendo don't release SNES games on the 3DS? It can't be a processing issue, and I used to think it was a download space issue until I remembered you could download a full 3DS game from the shop. Is it just Nintendo purposefully holding back so you're more inclined to buy a WiiU?

I just want to play Earthbound on the train, dammit.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I've not played this from since the NES days and will likely pick this up even if only for the sake of having it in my collection. Will definitely give it at least a few more spins as well.

I'm going to spend the afternoon with various SMB3 tunes in my head now. Good times..

LavaLampBamboo said:
Well, more stuff on the 3DS eShop is always good. I've never actually played SMB3 before so I guess now is as good a time as any.

On a related note, does anyone know why Nintendo don't release SNES games on the 3DS? It can't be a processing issue, and I used to think it was a download space issue until I remembered you could download a full 3DS game from the shop. Is it just Nintendo purposefully holding back so you're more inclined to buy a WiiU?

I just want to play Earthbound on the train, dammit.
There may be a reason but I think it's mostly an arbitrary thing. 3DS gets the Game Boy games, Wii-U gets SNES. Both get NES and the only GBA games really available are from the 3DS Ambassador program. It sucks because duh, 3DS could easily handle it and has an identical button layout. I would really love a legal copy of Super Metroid that I don't have to hook my Wii up to play; I have to make do with Fusion (admittedly wonderful, but still only second-best 2D Metroid game).

It's crazy as surely all they need to do is dump the SNES classics on the eShop and watch the cash roll in from people who don't mind spending a few quid for (another) convenient copy of a game they either used to love or missed the first time.

Edit: derp on from/since up on first line and some extra comments.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I wish they'd pump out a lot more VC titles. They are being so slow and bizarrely selective about it.

On Mario 3, I played the original when it came out and it captivated me, but it's the Mario All-Stars version that I love the most.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Teoes said:
There may be a reason but I think it's mostly an arbitrary thing. 3DS gets the Game Boy games, Wii-U gets SNES. Both get NES and the only GBA games really available are from the 3DS Ambassador program. It sucks because duh, 3DS could easily handle it and has an identical button layout. I would really love a legal copy of Super Metroid that I don't have to hook my Wii up to play; I have to make do with Fusion (admittedly wonderful, but still only second-best 2D Metroid game).
I wonder what's up too. I remember the GBA being strong enough to handle SNES, so I wonder what they think it gains them to not allow us to purchase on one system or another...

Still, it probably is going to be an interesting experience to play this on its original graphics. I played the all-stars version WAAAAAAY back, so it could be a downgrade for me. But if it's enjoyable, I think it'll suit just fine.

Just wished they'd make universal account for once...

CAPTCHA: of course

It's in my mind. there's no escaping. Gott im himmel, I have become the host!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
...I'll buy the crap out of this for my 3DS. I'll also be buying the new Smash Bros., of course. That brings my list of games up to... three~!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
It'll be $4.99, all the nes games up in the eshop are $4.99.

Considering I still have my NES and at least 4 Mario Brothers 3 carts, this really doesn't interest me.

The coolest thing is all the classic megamans, to bad you have to buy them all separately...

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
So as a 23 year old the NES was before my time but I had a SNES with Super Mario All-stars and Super Mario Bros 3 was easily one of my favorite games ever. What I always wondered about this though was why they didn't release the SMAS versions for these classic games. Having not played the NES version, are the mechanics of the game any different? Because if not it seems silly not to release the much prettier version, if the gameplay is the same.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I wish Nintendo wouldn't be so stingy about the All-Stars versions of these games.

P.S. Thanks