Super Mario Bros Archivists Return Film to Silver Screen

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah....this isn't even a "so bad it's good" kind of flick. It's just "I'd rather be washing dishes right now" bad.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_Darkness said:
Rednog said:
Oh god, I remember seeing this when I was 6 in the movie theaters with my dad, we used to play the original game together all the time. After the movie I turned to him and told him I didn't want to play it anymore.
Whereas I watched it long before I'd ever played the games... and thoroughly enjoyed it (again, I was a kid at the time). As a result, I view the film and the games as two separate but related entities.

I'll probably watch it again one of these years - it is on a shelf downstairs somewhere...
I enjoyed it even having played the games first.

It's just a matter of treating it like separate entities, as you say. But as a Highlander fan, I'm used to compartmentalising. >.>

It was never a great movie in my eyes, but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Ahh, the memories...

...the terrible terrible memories...

WTF Yoshi!?

Now that I'm old enough to drink my memories away, this movie might be worth another shot (as I pour myself several of my own).
Why did you take a screenshot of Skyrim for that?

OT: Am I the only person who liked this film without imbibing perception-altering substances?
Shocking.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still love this terrible classic. I still sing "Walk the Dinosaur" occasionally.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
-Dragmire- said:
Ahh, the memories...

WTF Yoshi!?

Now that I'm old enough to drink my memories away, this movie might be worth another shot (as I pour myself several of my own).

OT: Am I the only person who liked this film without imbibing perception-altering substances?
Shocking.
That's not from Skyrim man, that's from the film. That's a puppet.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I quite liked the film, I mean it had very little in common with the game but that didn't make it any less entertaining. I remember reading Bob Hoskins comments on it though:

?The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a fuckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots.?
?Bob Hoskins, "The Guardian" interview

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Loop Stricken said:
-Dragmire- said:
Ahh, the memories...

WTF Yoshi!?

Shocking.
No seriously, that is Yoshi from the movie. Though now that you mention it he does kinda look like argonian

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I love this movie on a "so bad it's funny" level. I fully admit it. Though I will admit most of what I love about it is Bob Hoskins (who does a good job, especially at hiding his british accent) and Dennis Hopper, even John Leguizamo turns in an okay performance and at least the "ripped off from Blade Runner but don't tell the kids that" city looked cool.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I loved it! Then again I also love Small Soldiers and Flight of the Navigator, so of course I would...

On the other hand though I hated Short Circuit... and E.T. with a passion! :/

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Hm, I'd consider seeing that, as I was one of the people who didn't hate it. Hardly a golden example of art like its source material was, but still cheesy fun. Great special effects for the time too.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
So, I need to weigh in here and put my super controversial and important opinion of SMB on the line publically: I thought this movie was great (at least in a 1990s evolution of 1980s action garbage sort of way). If we can embrace movies like Big Trouble in Little China and The Goonies (which we totally can, and should), there's really no reason we can't extend the same courtesy for this wacky little film.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
So, I need to weigh in here and put my super controversial and important opinion of SMB on the line publically: I thought this movie was great (at least in a 1990s evolution of 1980s action garbage sort of way). If we can embrace movies like Big Trouble in Little China and The Goonies (which we totally can, and should), there's really no reason we can't extend the same courtesy for this wacky little film.
I personally LOVED it at the time. In fact all the cheesy 90's "kids" movies I have a major soft spot for.

Hell I even have the original SMB movie poster on my office wall. Tickets purchased for Seattle. Thanks to the Escapist for letting me know!

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
You know I might be damned for saying it, but I'm gonna come out and say I liked the Super Mario Bros. movie. Yeah, it was bad and stupid, but I like it.

There was NO way you were going to make a good Mario movie. The characters have absolutely no personality and the plot is ridiculous. A jumping plumber fights mushrooms and a giant redhead lizard for an airhead princess who is probably just having an illicit affair she wants to keep out of the headlines.

So to heck with it. I'm enjoying the bad puns, the weird alternate earth, Big Bertha's bountiful... boots, and bob-bombs. Plus one of the trailers I saw scared the piss out of me when I was a kid and that makes the movie memorable for me.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Zer0Saber said:
That's not from Skyrim man, that's from the film. That's a puppet.
Zetatrain said:
No seriously, that is Yoshi from the movie. Though now that you mention it he does kinda look like argonian
What? Oh you're kidding?
Man, don't I feel like a fool now!

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I always thought the movie was fun in a campy sort of way. The goomba with the harmonica? Wonderful.

I can't believe I missed a screening of this in my area. :(

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
If I was near any of these showings I'd go, I saw Back to the Future in theaters like a year ago and that was awesome, seeing old films on the big screen is cool.

I really like quirky movies though, I love that Street Fighter movie with Van Damme, so bad that it's brilliant. It's nice to know that there is a group out there that makes sure movies like this don't disappear from existence entirely.

John Funk said:
The last time I watched the Super Mario Bros movie was back in college, and I admit I had a fun time with it. To be fair, I'd also had like six White Russians at the time, but it was enjoyable all the same.
Yeah, if I actually went to a screening I'd probably do the same beforehand.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I realize that Super Mario Bros wasn't Oscar material by anyone's standards, but I don't see why everybody seems to flat-out hate the movie like it kicked their dog and peed on their carpet. Yes, it does take some liberties with the source material - but when you're making a live-action movie based on a cartoony videogame about a mushroom-eating plumber stomping on Goombas and tortoises while trying to save a princess, what the hell else can you possibly do?

I enjoyed this movie when it first came out. I still enjoy it now. More often than not, some mindless fun is all I really want from a movie. And Super Mario Bros delivers big.