Super Mario Galaxy 2

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Nice article. So someone else knew about the Doki Doki reason.
And if every Mario hater wants Mario to change. Think about it...Look what happened to Sonic.

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
Good article, and honestly I wonder what game I would suggest to a new gamer, 'cause that's a fairly interesting point ya bring up

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Nice article. So someone else knew about the Doki Doki reason.
I thought the reason we got that whole reskinned Doki Doki Panic was because the original SMB2 was brutally hard, and NoA thought that us Americans were all a bunch of doughy wimps.
At least that's what I believed...

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I personally think that the original Super Mario Bros is a great introduction to gaming. Think about it, that's where many of today's gamers got their start. I also think Super Mario Bros is a great example of games as art. The game is perfectly condensed down to the level where it is fun to play as a beginner and fun to play as an expert.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
It somewhat surprises me the you are defending to a certain degree the Mario games.
But it's OK, I guess, I was never a fan of console games nor any Mario games, so I do not really care.

My question is what you said in the original SMG review if I'm not mistaken, what is Mario going to evolve into now? I mean, it has all the bases covered already.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
hmmpf......I would either throw gish or World of Goo at a new player. I don't play many 3D platformers so I can't really make a recommendation there, but I guess the cell-shaded comic looking Prince of Persia seems easy enough for a first timer too.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I agree on most parts, but SMB2 wasn't only released in Japan. I live in Sweden, and I have (had, I guess) a PAL version of it. Unless I was special in some way and found the only PAL version in existance, I'd say it was released here too.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I recently gave my sick 5-year-old baby cousin my copy of New Super Mario Bros DS so that he'd have something to do over the months that he'll have to be hospitalized (I won't go over the reasons for that here). It may indeed have been the most brilliant idea I've ever had. The game is the just about the perfect game for a person who has never played a game before - very hard for a beginner, but simple enough to figure out, and of course endless fun - and he loves it. But on the other hand I have to play EVERY TIME I go to see him. Its all he does! Its taken over his little life. But it keeps his mind off the medicine and nurses so it really was genius on my part.

My point here is that Mario is perfectly fine the way it is. If the people who have played this game grow sick of it, there's always a younger generation of little kids willing to play it. I don't think anybody in Nintendo designed Super Mario Galaxy 2 for thirty-year-old curmudgeons with sweet hats.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
An old retro game like the original Mario or Sonic-perhaps even Mega Man would work out pretty well.

A turn-based RPG would also work pretty well IMO. I would have to suggest the original Phantasy Star quadrilogy, as there's enough variety and change form game to game to really see the changes, and the story works out beautifully over the whole course of the series. since it's turn based (and rather simple for an RPG), it wouldn't be too hard for a beginner to try out (unlike something as complex as FF7's Materia, or FFX's Sphere Grid).

So, that's my two cents.

sketchesofpayne

Sep 11, 2008
Real-Time Strategy games got many a player into gaming. Warcraft 2 and Starcraft for instance. Also, most MMOs work, as they let you move around in 3D without any complex movements needed. Just walk from point A to B.

But yes, Little Big Planet is a great first game, especially with the co-op aspect.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
You know good suggestion with LBP, I'll keep that in mind next time I wanna introduce someone to gamin

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I know what happened to "that guy". We killed him. We beat him down until he was a stain on the floor.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I find this column to be better constructive criticism than the video review.
I guess I was expecting this kind of reaction to Yahtzee, him being a mortal enemy of most sequel titles and always demanding more creativity and originality from his games.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
okay, yahtzee, i've never disagreed with you more than i do now. to say that each new mario game has had significant game play improvements/changes is making you sound like another fanboy trying to reassure himself that he's not exactly just that, a crazed, mouth-foaming fan boy. and mario galaxy 2 seems no different to me. the only thing that has significantly improved over the years is the graphics. other than that, we've had one or two things added to each iteration. and this is the exact reason i've grown so bored to tears of them. well, i never did like the 3d ones much anyway (the single handed BIGGEST change to mario, ever, but since then, it's just been that one or two things changing).

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
Regarding Mario rehashing the same storyline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT5F6LcwNEw&feature=player_embedded

Don't watch if you get offended by harsh language. Everybody else, enjoy.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
Very well said Yahtzee! I wonder what game I would recommend for a first time player on the Wii, since it's the only new console I have. Hmm, the new SMB would seem like a start, but doesn't do much for learning about 3-D...The Subspace emissary mode in Brawl is a good one too, but again its just a 2-D sidescroller. Y'know what? Maybe that's enough, once they build up their reflexes and sense of virtual physics the transition to 3-D will be as natural to them as it was to us. I like this because it means there will always be a place for sidescrollers.