Super Mario Run Price, Release Date Revealed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Super Mario Run Price, Release Date Revealed

Super Mario Run to release for iPhone and iPad in December.

Super Mario Run, the first game developed specifically for mobile devices to feature Nintendo's iconic plumber-turned-hero, will release on December 15, Nintendo announced today. While the game can be downloaded for free, you'll have to pay $9.99 to unlock all of the features in the game's three modes.

"The wait is almost over for a Super Mario game that can be played on mobile devices," said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "Developed under the direction of Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario Run brings a new take on the series' beloved action-platforming gameplay to iPhone and iPad for the first time."

Super Mario Run will be available in 151 countries and 10 different languages.

Super Mario Run was first announced at the Apple event in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168344-Mario-is-coming-to-the-iPhone#&gid=gallery_6463&pid=1]. In the game, Mario automatically runs to the right, and tapping the screen makes him jump. Longer taps mean higher jumps. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto said that Mario is going mobile in order to reach "as broad an audience as possible."

"[There was] a point in time when our hardware systems were the number one gaming platforms in the world," Miyamoto said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168348-Miyamoto-On-Mobile-Mario]. "But now we see that smart devices have reached significant penetration across the globe. So for us as designers, our goal is always to try to bring our characters and games to as broad an audience as possible."

[gallery=6621]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wow, never thought I'd see the day. Hope it comes to Android eventually.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
>the video is vertical

Damn it Nintendo, why do you hate me?

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
You know, they could have just made it like Super Mario Bros for the DS, instead of having it constantly moving to the right. It seems much more restrictive how they have made it, it probably would have been better making a normal Mario game rather than some unnecessary complication. Shame.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Selling a simple runner game for $10? I know Nintendo likes to put a lot of value in their properties but can they really justify selling something like this when the competition on the platform sells for $1 to $2, some even free? Or are they banking on the audience for the premium mobile game experience (if that exists)?

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
This is going to make money, simply because it's Nintendo, but I think they'd make more if they sold it for $4 or so. A lot of people are going to be turned off by that high of a price for a stupid running game.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Heheheh. Doug "Bowser".

If this is good, I hope Nintendo doesn't forget about Android. Think of the number of iPhones that'd be sold if Niantic made PoGo apple-exclusive though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Run, Mario, run, Mario, run, run, run...

Bowser is a coming with his Bullet Bill gun.

Run, Mario, run, Mario, I don't find mobile fun*

But many enjoy the platform, so I won't be a whiny one.

*Well, I actually quite like Angry Birds, so, yeah.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
See, this is the problem with mobile devices when it comes to certain intensive games. No physical buttons for gaming whatsoever. And no, the volume button rocker and power button don't count. I tried emulating Aria of Sorrow and I immediately ran into this exact same huge ass problem. I didn't think it would be a big deal at first but... It turned out to be a very big deal. Do you know how unwieldy it is to adequately play something like a Super Mario platformer with no physical buttons?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Erm...the game's free if people don't want to pay anything. I tried playing Terraria on mobile and without physical buttons, it was a real hassle trying to fend off any enemy or deal with precision platforming. So it makes sense to keep it simple. No android version? Oh well, not a mobile gamer anyway...why am I even posting this?