Super Meat Boy Creator Wants Russians to Design the PC Box Art

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Meat Boy Creator Wants Russians to Design the PC Box Art

In not-so-Soviet Russia, Super Meat Boy box art designs you.

The good news: Super Meat Boy will be seeing a boxed PC retail release in Russia before it does the same anywhere else in the world! The bad news: It doesn't have box art. Or rather, it doesn't have box art yet.

See, the thing is, SMB creator Edmund McMillen really doesn't want to make the box art. So instead, he's asking his fans in Russia to do it for him [http://supermeatboy.com/72/Hello_from_America_/#b] - and he's holding a contest to find the winner.

In the video seen here, McMillen - rocking one of those swank fuzzy Russian hats - offers his suggestions for an appropriately Russian box art. Why not make a box themed around Matryoshka dolls, bears, vodka, or Street Fighter's Zangief? As long as it has Meat Boy on it, it's all good.

The rules can be found on the Team Meat home page [http://supermeatboy.com/72/Hello_from_America_/#b]: The format, the resolution, the image proportions, and so forth. Send the image in, wait for the winner to be chosen around January 17th, and if you're the lucky Russian artist you'll win an Acer monitor!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but find the video hilarious - it's the complete earnestness in which McMillen runs down the list of Russian stereotypes that just makes it so endearing.

If any of our Russian readers are going to take a shot at it, good luck! Maybe you could hide our "e" in there somewhere? No? Ah, it was worth a shot.

(Super Meat Boy: Hello From America! [http://supermeatboy.com/72/Hello_from_America_/#b])

burgbrand22

Jul 10, 2009
Nice vid by Team Meat. I don't consider myself a fan of platformers, but Super Meat Boy is an exception. Loved the short challenging levels, the meat theme, unlimited lives, and that you can enjoy this game in small bites. Any gamer who hasn't played Super Meat Boy should give it a shot. It's super cheap, around 7 bucks on Steam.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
JackRyan64 said:
The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Braid's Russian box art.

That box art sends me into a fit of giggles every time I see it. I only played the Braid demo for twenty minutes, and it was the most horribly depressing thing I'd ever played.

Hmm. First thing that pops into my head is a Babushka Doll of meat boys, each one killed in a different horrible way. (sawed, spiked, burned, etc.) But I can't wait to see what the winner comes up with.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Thorvan said:
JackRyan64 said:

That box art sends me into a fit of giggles every time I see it. I only played the Braid demo for twenty minutes, and it was the most horribly depressing thing I'd ever played.

Hmm. First thing that pops into my head is a Babushka Doll of meat boys, each one killed in a different horrible way. (sawed, spiked, burned, etc.) But I can't wait to see what the winner comes up with.
it's called matryoshka doll, "babushka" actually means grandmother.

edit... oh nvm, I didn't know that name for it.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Femaref said:
Thorvan said:
JackRyan64 said:

it's called matryoshka doll, "babushka" actually means grandmother.

edit... oh nvm, I didn't know that name for it.
I'm fairly sure that the "Babushka" came from the idea that it's a "Family" of dolls. I just like using it because it rolls off the tongue nicer than Matryoshka or "Russian Nesting Doll."

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
John Funk said:
The good news: Super Meat Boy will be seeing a boxed PC retail release in Russia before it does the same anywhere else in the world!
Is there any indicator that it will come to the rest of the world or, at least, to the rest of Europe? Considering that PC retail is quite strong in mainland Europe, it would be nice if we saw a retail release outside of Russia as well.

While I am curious about Super Meat Boy, I don't use digital distribution services. But if a retail copy was available, I would certainly be interested in purchasing it.

Farlander

Oct 31, 2010
The Russian Braid cover is the most atrocious thing I've ever seen. And I'm speaking as a Russian here.

Whoever decides to participate in the contest, please, do NOT make anything like the Russian Braid cover!

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
*SALUTE*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdVTVR-j0Q

Союз нерушимый республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь!
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
This video is funny as hell. Really. I must wonder why we're getting the release first... or anything, but, yeah, the video's awesome. I'm not even offended at the massive stereotypes.

John Funk said:
If any of our Russian readers are going to take a shot at it, good luck! Maybe you could hide our "e" in there somewhere? No? Ah, it was worth a shot.
I could do just that... but I can't draw. At all.

John Funk said:
one of those swank fuzzy Russian hats
They're called "ushankas", John.