Super Meat Boy Offers Free DLC Through Loophole

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Super Meat Boy Offers Free DLC Through Loophole


The developers of Super Meat Boy have figured out how to release DLC for free on Xbox Live Arcade.

Downloadable content on Xbox Live Arcade usually comes with at least a meager cost, according to Microsoft rules. That won't be the case for the DLC coming to Team Meat's Super Meat Boy though, as the developers have figured out a loophole to provide it for free.

Super Meat Boy is a downloadable platformer coming to PC, Mac, WiiWare, and Xbox Live Arcade, but Team Meat entered into an "exclusive online content" deal with Microsoft to get the particular deal that allowed them to release it on XBLA. This content will be collections of new levels called "Teh Internets" that are provided totally for free through the Xbox 360's Title Managed Storage system. While TMS is not normally used to give DLC to player gratis, Microsoft seems to be okay with what Team Meat calls the "loophole of awesome." The studio says of the free XBLA DLC: "It is nice to have the power to totally say 'fuck you' to that system and go our own way."

According to the developers, nobody has released any kind of DLC in this manner in the history of Xbox Live. Basically, players will get a pop-up saying that they unlocked "Teh Internets," and they'll be able to choose from newly released level packs. Each pack will contain around 20 levels, which may be locked to specific playable characters and their unique abilities. The Butcher Boy pack is up first and will launch with Super Meat Boy on October 20. By the end of the year, The Sewers of Dross featuring Gish [http://store.steampowered.com/app/9500/] is planned, as is Meat Boy, a chapter focusing on Super Meat Boy's flash prototype. In early 2011, Team Meat has Debug World in the works, which "uses the editor in different ways to make insane levels."

Team Meat will continue to release new levels as long as they have new ideas. Though players can't share levels to consoles through a planned PC level editor, the developers are also planning a "best-of user made" level pack for release on the Xbox 360. They also recently revealed that Reggie Fils-Aime was going to be included as a playable character, but Nintendo turned down the idea. Lame!

Permalink
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
So they have to work around MS's system to release free things? That they made? That they want to give away for free?

Wow.
 

theComposer

New member
Mar 29, 2009
576
0
0
"Valve, I'd like you to meet the 'loophole of awesome'. 'Loophole of awesome', Valve."
*shows the two to a small candlelit table in a dim, fancy restaurant*

Seriously, Valve needs to jump on this and update TF2 for Xbox360 before Microsoft closes this up.
 

Sebenko

New member
Dec 23, 2008
2,531
0
0
jwien001 said:
"Valve, I'd like you to meet the 'loophole of awesome'. 'Loophole of awesome', Valve."
*shows the two to a small candlelit table in a dim, fancy restaurant*

Seriously, Valve needs to jump on this and update TF2 for Xbox360 before Microsoft closes this up.
So that the few that do get it before the loophole is closed can't play with anyone who didn't, or anyone who bought the game afterwards?

Also, TF2 is a little more high-profile.
 

boholikeu

New member
Aug 18, 2008
959
0
0
jwien001 said:
"Valve, I'd like you to meet the 'loophole of awesome'. 'Loophole of awesome', Valve."
*shows the two to a small candlelit table in a dim, fancy restaurant*

Seriously, Valve needs to jump on this and update TF2 for Xbox360 before Microsoft closes this up.
My guess is that the loophole is that the DLC is "exclusive content for the XBLA". IE since it's an extra selling point MS doesn't feel bad about giving it away for free.

I dunno if Valve is willing to give exclusives to the Xbox.
 

Anti-Robot Man

New member
Apr 5, 2010
212
0
0
Sebenko said:
Also, TF2 is a little more high-profile.
Not on Xbox it's not, the community for that game has dwindled without any support whatsoever. Valve should just release a seperate fully updated version as an xbla game (which they did for Portal), it would split the community but if they did it for 400/800 (which most are willing to pay for map-packs and the like) points pretty much everyone would migrate and it would bring in/back a ton of players.
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,596
0
0
I still don't get this...

There is loads of free DLC on XBL.

For arcade games and for full games. Not every piece of DLC is charged for.
 

Jkudo

New member
Aug 17, 2010
304
0
0
In order for valve to do that for tf2 it would have to be exclusive to xbl. I really doubt that's going to happen.
 

Kevashim

New member
Dec 12, 2007
14
0
0
Ok, well Dead Rising had free additional costumes. Various Dynasty Warriors games have had free costumes, in-game music and new levels. I believe the first map pack for Exit may have been free. I'm sure there are plenty of other games with free dlc too...

So surely a method for free game DLc already existed and has been used... even if it isn't the same method as is employed here it's hardly groundbreaking.
 

Jkudo

New member
Aug 17, 2010
304
0
0
Kevashim said:
Ok, well Dead Rising had free additional costumes. Various Dynasty Warriors games have had free costumes, in-game music and new levels. I believe the first map pack for Exit may have been free. I'm sure there are plenty of other games with free dlc too...

So surely a method for free game DLc already existed and has been used... even if it isn't the same method as is employed here it's hardly groundbreaking.
Yes dlc can be free and developers pick up the tab. This is just an indy devs way of providing free dlc without having to pay microsoft.
 

Kevashim

New member
Dec 12, 2007
14
0
0
Jkudo said:
Kevashim said:
Ok, well Dead Rising had free additional costumes. Various Dynasty Warriors games have had free costumes, in-game music and new levels. I believe the first map pack for Exit may have been free. I'm sure there are plenty of other games with free dlc too...

So surely a method for free game DLc already existed and has been used... even if it isn't the same method as is employed here it's hardly groundbreaking.
Yes dlc can be free and developers pick up the tab. This is just an indy devs way of providing free dlc without having to pay microsoft.
Valve are hardly an indy dev. Maybe they aren't the promised land of gaming that so many make them out to be after all... :p <\begin Flame_War>
 

wheeman

New member
Sep 15, 2009
70
0
0
Here's the blog post on there site with all the information and stuff; http://www.supermeatboy.com/38/Teh_Internets_/
 

Jkudo

New member
Aug 17, 2010
304
0
0
Kevashim said:
Jkudo said:
Kevashim said:
Ok, well Dead Rising had free additional costumes. Various Dynasty Warriors games have had free costumes, in-game music and new levels. I believe the first map pack for Exit may have been free. I'm sure there are plenty of other games with free dlc too...

So surely a method for free game DLc already existed and has been used... even if it isn't the same method as is employed here it's hardly groundbreaking.
Yes dlc can be free and developers pick up the tab. This is just an indy devs way of providing free dlc without having to pay microsoft.
Valve are hardly an indy dev. Maybe they aren't the promised land of gaming that so many make them out to be after all... :p <\begin Flame_War>
Even though valve are very different from these guys, in order for valve to provide free dlc without paying for it themselves they would have to make it exclusive to xbox. The indy dev i was referring to were the once in this incident.
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
I am sure MS is working hare to close it as we speak...
 

wheeman

New member
Sep 15, 2009
70
0
0
From what I've heard, it's really hard to code games for Playstation. 2 hrd 2 cod
 

UltimatheChosen

New member
Mar 6, 2009
1,007
0
0
Irridium said:
So they have to work around MS's system to release free things? That they made? That they want to give away for free?

Wow.
Well, to be fair, it does cost Microsoft to put stuff up on Xbox Live, since they're the ones paying for the bandwidth.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
GamesB2 said:
I still don't get this...

There is loads of free DLC on XBL.

For arcade games and for full games. Not every piece of DLC is charged for.
yes but microsoft does charge every one of them to put up that free dlc. They have to pay even if they dont charge the gamer community, this is free for them to put up as well.


on that note since tehy only giving away all that free stuff on the xbla and i bet it will cost the same on wii, screw em wont give them my money
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Irridium said:
So they have to work around MS's system to release free things? That they made? That they want to give away for free?

Wow.
running and keeping XBL online isn't free for Microsoft.
 

Bigsmith

New member
Mar 16, 2009
1,026
0
0

GET ME VALVE!

Ot: this is quite cool I must say, can't say much as XBL doesn't effect me.. at all. As i do not own a xbox or xbox 360.
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,451
0
0
this is really cool

and cool that there aren't a bunch of PC fanboys going 'lulz m$ wont giv u freebiez!' xD
 

V8 Ninja

New member
May 15, 2010
1,903
0
0
Tom Goldman said:
The studio says of the free XBLA DLC: "It is nice to have the power to totally say 'fuck you' to that system and go our own way."
Ah, honesty at it's finest. :D I always get a warm feeling whenever a games company finds a way to stretch a console beyond its limits.
 

UberMore

New member
Sep 7, 2008
786
0
0
Well, good luck to them. Lets just hope Microsoft doesn't turn around and go "No, FUCK YOOOUUUU!" and stop the game from being released on Arcade.
 

Uber Waddles

New member
May 13, 2010
544
0
0
WERE NOT GETTING FREE DLC FOR TF2 ON THE XBOX ANYTIME SOON. VALVE HAS GIVEN UP AND BLAMED MS FOR ITS LAZYNESS.

Erherm, sorry about that. I needed to get that off my chest. Read it, learn it, accept it. They got our money from us, we were suckers. They dont actually care about those of us who use XBL. IF THEY DID, we would get a bug fix atleast. So poo on that arguement.

As for MS's DLC policy, it sounds like utter bananas. I dunno how it works, but I see plenty of free DLC all the time, depending on the game. But if people are finding loopholes, WOOT. More free stuff is good.
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
Tom Goldman said:
According to the developers, nobody has released any kind of DLC in this manner in the history of Xbox Live.
Crackdown objects to this assertion. They released a free title update that along with some bug fixes, added new features (being able to reset gangs), new moves (ground stomp when your strength is maxed), and 2 achievements.

Crackdown also managed to release a DLC pack that contained new achievements. Some of those new achievements didn't actually require any of the stuff from the pack, and in a move no developer seems to bother with anymore on either the 360 or PS3, you could get those achievements even without buying the DLC. Most developers now will make you buy the DLC before you can unlock any achievements, even if you can fulfill the requirements without it.

So yeah, you can color me unimpressed with this. Another game did it before them, and has done even more than that. And of course, we have this:
GamesB2 said:
I still don't get this...

There is loads of free DLC on XBL.

For arcade games and for full games. Not every piece of DLC is charged for.
 

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
657
0
0
As much as I want Valve to use this, I think the TMS (Title Managed Storage) area is too small for the sum of all Team Fortress 2 updates to be usable...
 

Retardinator

New member
Nov 2, 2009
582
0
0
BobisOnlyBob said:
As much as I want Valve to use this, I think the TMS (Title Managed Storage) area is too small for the sum of all Team Fortress 2 updates to be usable...
TF2 has an enormous size on PC right now. (I think there's at least 2 GB's worth of update content)
TMS is only 32KB's.
 

Rect Pola

New member
May 19, 2009
349
0
0
Good show, chaps. However, once other companies take this more high-minded route, Microsoft WILL find a way to shut it down.
 

De Ronneman

New member
Dec 30, 2009
623
0
0
That's really smart of those guys. They finally broke the tiranny of XBLA.

I think it is nothing more than normal to have at least the option of releasing some content, even if it's just teaser, for free, but hey, that's probably just me.

Probably the reason why I don't have a mansion with a golden pool...
 

micky

New member
Apr 27, 2009
1,184
0
0
anyone else played the flash game before hearing about this game? im going to go play it, its very fun.
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,451
0
0
this game is awesome! okay it's brutal...and I'm not one for self inflicted punishment, but it's pick up and play quick come and go
awesome stuff (it caught my interest as an Internet flash game but I didn't get into it because the keyboard controls were annoying)
 

tehbeard

New member
Jul 9, 2008
587
0
0
I can see Title managed storage getting size restrictions pretty quickly the moment valve here of this.