Super Meat Boy on PC Outsells Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Super Meat Boy on PC Outsells Xbox 360

Despite being a timed exclusive for the Xbox 360, the PC version of the hit indie platformer Super Meat Boy [http://supermeatboy.com/] actually outsold its console cousin.

Team Meat, the studio behind Super Meat Boy, didn't have a very pleasant experience launching its game as a timed exclusive on the Xbox Live Arcade. Speaking at the Game Developers Conference last night, co-CEO Tommy Refenes said Costume Quest [http://www.microsoft.com] to the launch schedule at the last minute.

Not only that, but the game didn't get the promised top billing in the Spotlight feed on the 360 dashboard, either. In fact, it wasn't anywhere in the feed at all.

"I was like 'What's the deal? Are you guys pulling out? Where's our stuff?'," Refenes said, describing an email he sent to the game's producer at Microsoft. "It finally went up half way through our launch day. It was the number four spot; it wasn't number one. The 'Spooktacular Sale', which was a whole bunch of other games that already came out - that was the number one slot."

"An ad for a Mazda 3 was the number two slot - because you all go on Xbox to figure out what car you want, right?" he continued. "We were number four and we stayed number four the entire week."

Microsoft apparently told the studio that the better the game performed, the more it would be pushed. But in spite of strong reviews and sales that handily surpassed other titles, nothing else happened. "We just kind of got pushed to the side, and that's basically how the Xbox Live launch went," Refenes said. "The only reason the game sold well was because of how we promoted it. The help from Microsoft was there in a very limited capacity."

It's impossible to measure the true impact of that neglect but one statistic is rather telling. Team Meat revealed on Twitter [http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/42400003083345920] that the PC version of Super Meat Boy actually outsold the XBLA release by a ratio of 55:45, maybe not a huge difference but certainly substantial, especially when you recall that the XBLA edition had a full month head-start on the PC. Even with Super Meat Boy going for only $3.75 during the 2010 Steam Holiday Sale, the studio claimed it made more on Steam that it did on XBLA; and while the sale price was bound to inflate unit sales, the game actually made as much on Steam in the two weeks prior to the sale as it did during its entire run to that point on XBLA.

What's the lesson? Maybe Microsoft completely dropped the ball, or maybe there's some validity to the idea that the PC is the "natural" home for indie developers. Whatever the situation, it's hard to deny that at the very least it's evidence of the continued relevance of the PC as a gaming platform. And the gap between PC and XBLA could grow even greater next month, as the boxed Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Meat-Boy-Ultra-Pc/dp/B004NS77OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1299012549&sr=8-1], featuring unreleased artwork, a behind-the-scenes look at the game, a soundtrack and more, finally hits retail.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-01-meat-boy-dev-attacks-microsoft-support-quick-take]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's pretty even sales, actually.

Still no possibility of PS3 love...Ah, well.

I'll be picking up the retail version.

Any word of Castle Crashers for PC, yet?

Because the exclusivity deal is gone, as seen by the existence of the PS3 version.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
but..... but....... THE PIRACY!! ZOMG PC PIRATES!!! how is this even feasible!!

/sarcasm

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, good show. I'm sure the steam sale had a LOT to do with that, because people will just scoop anything up when they see it's on sale there.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Microsoft apparently told the studio that the better the game performed, the more it would be pushed.
Haha, the point is to bill as the top item so it sells well, not bury it and say that if it sells well, you'll move it up. That's completely retarded.

This is no small surprise I think. It was released on Steam and they are the kings of digital distribution. XBLA is still an afterthought for the console, IMO. I am happy to see that it did well though. I bought it, and it's loads of fun. I love watching replays on stages where you die a lot, that is a lot of dead Meatboys, haha.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Microsoft are such douchebags about XBL. The service as a whole is pretty top-notch, but they seem to go out of their way to piss off pretty much every developer for the most stupid of reasons.

That said, I seem to recall they were asking for Super Meat Boy about half as much as I'd pay for a *proper* game, which is what turned me off; I'd rather just play apple jack until my thumbs melted.

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
I purchased both versions, but would have stuck with just my XBLA version had it not gone on sale through Steam.

It's likely there are a lot of dual-platform people like myself that purchased it on the PC as a means of supporting the game and for the value. This messes with the numbers obviously.

Still, the PC version is the one I play most.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Wow. I thought MS was a douchebag only with GFWL. Their nature carries on to XBLA as well?

Anyway, kudos to Team Meat. I guess this is another testimony to the superiority of Steam's distribution for both indie and AAA titles. And I'm guessing an incoming level editor is gonna help as well.

Cptn_M

Apr 3, 2010
This Artwork looks pretty impressive :D
I own it on Steam. In fact I was one of the first people to order it (felt kind of f'ed when the had the sale for 3 bucks something, but it was definetly woth every cent I paid for it)

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Meh I picked up the 360 version during the first week of launch. Quite frankly I had a friend at work who kept saying i'd love the game but all I ever saw of it was the image of Meat Boys face and it really didn't interest me.

When I picked up the Demo though and played through the first 2-3 levels, I got kind of angry and wish my buddy would of just said "It's like N+", I immediately bought the game.

I've gone on to make a Clay sculpture of Meat Boy that weighs 5KG >.> So yeah i'm pretty in love with the game ^_^

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Duh. The original game was circulated around the internet so it's natural that it was more well known there and people were more apt to purchase it for the PC.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Perhaps its because the PC version will soon get a level editor that will allow people to create their own levels and share then online, while the Xbox live arcade version will only get some new levels?
And even then the additional content will be free only because of (effectively) an exploit.

I don't know. I bought SMB because it was on sale on Steam over the holidays. Personally kind of wondering if this had an impact as well as the advertisement slot. I loved the demo on Live, but 3.75 for the game? Yeah...

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
And with PC gaming growing as well.

It appears PC gaming loves dying so much, we've come back to life so we can die all over again.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure I read that it sold more in its first two weeks on the PC then it has at all on the 360.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/01/super-meat-boy-pc-sold-more-in-two-weeks-than-xboxs-total-sales/