Super Smash Bros. 3DS And Wii U Drops Story Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. 3DS And Wii U Drops Story Mode

Masahiro Sakurai says the new Smash Bros. won't feature Subspace Emissary style cut scenes because people uploaded them to youtube.

Fans of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's co-op Subspace Emissary story mode will be disappointed by the news that the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS won't feature any kind of story mode, nor the impressive cutscenes that made Subspace Emissary so good. Game director Masahiro Sakurai explains that Brawl's story mode took a lot of time and effort to create, which was wasted because people uploaded the cutscenes to youtube.

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked so hard to create were uploaded to the internet," said Sakurai. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees a [cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

But it's not all doom and gloom. Sakurai understands that the movies were one of the coolest parts of the game, so he has assured fans the team will focus on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This is why we've had these cool intro video sequences for the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124834-Mega-Man-Blasts-Into-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-and-3DS]. Sakurai says he wants to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters.

Sakurai confirmed that there would not be a Story mode in the game, but he assured us that the 3DS version would include a single-player feature that would "act as a separate mode from the standard versus play." He also noted that there will be some form of character customizability in the game that will alter character performance, though in what way is still unclear.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.famitsu.com/]

Dec 14, 2009
Stupidest excuse I've ever heard, but if it means I don't have to play something like the Subspace Emissary again, I'm in.

Man, that thing was a bloody pain in the arse.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
This makes me sad, actually. I really enjoyed the Subspace Emissary and I was hoping for something similar in the new games.

I love Nintendo to death, but hey really need to get over this hate-on they have for YouTube videos of their games :/

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Stupidest excuse I've ever heard, but if it means I don't have to play something like the Subspace Emissary again, I'm in.

Man, that thing was a bloody pain in the arse.
Really? I liked it... or I remember liking it, my memory might be a bit rosy on this. I just recall wanting to get further in the story to see all the silly, ridiculous cutscenes the game had.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Really? I kinda liked the SE, if only for the awesome cut scenes. And you won't make them because people upload them to YouTube? Really? Dammit Ninty!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm not exactly crying over the loss of something like Subspace. The cutscenes and bosses were the only thing worthwhile about it. If SSBU's adventure mode is more like Melee's, the game will be better for it.

Honestly, I find it strange just how old his mentality about cutscenes is. Still seeing cutscenes as a reward for playing the game as opposed to just something that is there. I also get the thing with wanting to "wow" the audience. But Youtube is a thing now. Spoilers are a thing gamers and game makers are going to have to deal with.

hobohazard

Apr 2, 2011
In the words of a certain you-tuber, "Hey Nintendo. Some people will pirate the game, may as well not make it."
It really is insane to see how out of touch Nintendo has been with reality lately. Sad that the company hasten aged well.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
might pick it up on the 3ds, but don't have a wiiu. i didn't mind SE on the Wii though, not a huge issue in any case, but the reason they removed it is bloody pathetic...

also about wowing the player only the first time you see a cutscene, i would like to redirect you to these two for a start:

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
That's kind of weird excuse, considering that a lot of people didn't seem to actually like the subspace emissary mode would be a much easier reason.

Which sucks for me because I actually loved it. It was a decent platform brawler in it's own right, which let me play through it using 20-30 very different classic Nintendo characters? I can understand if people were just showing up to play the fighting game, but I'm surprised fans of platform games didn't praise it more.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Such pathetic excuses for the new SSB game makes me worried that it is going to be a half assed mess.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
I'm totally fine with cutscenes being used as a reward for making progress in-game (e.g. Uncharted), but really? Because some people will freely choose to have these cutscenes spoiled for them, you won't include them? By that logic, we may as well not make hot chocolate because some people might take the marshmallows out. Or like George R.R. Martin canceling the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire series because some people might see spoilers.

The more I think about it, the more horrendously bad this reasoning is.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked so hard to create were uploaded to the internet," said Sakurai. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees a [cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."
I want everyone to know, that when Mr. Sakurai said this, he was refurring to the Cutscenes in Brawl, not in the current game being created. Also, while it won't have a Story mode like Brawl, it will have the Story Mode akin to Melee and the Original. I just want to clear this up.

OT: It stinks; I actually liked Subspace Emissary. Doesn't change the fact I'm buying this game for the WiiU though. It's still gonna be fun!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
While I did like Subspace Emissary to a degree, I'm happy to see it gone and it seems like SSBU and SSB 3DS are gonna return to how it was in Melee, which I like.
However, the excuse that Sakurai is giving because of it is simply stupid. I mean if he left it at the fact that they were difficult to create then yeah I wouldn't blame him, but another reason alongside it is because they'll be uploaded to YT? Really, that's just plain petty. As someone mentioned before if people were to have the logic like that then might as well not make the game because some people are gonna pirate it. >.>

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
At times like this it feels like Nintendo is run by a bunch of behind the times old men. See also: the almost total absence of online features on the Wii.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
You know Sakurai, I would respect you more if you just came out and told the truth. It was too hard to make, don't have enough resources, didn't think it would fit,etc. Making up half-assed excuses like this just insults both of our intelligences.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard, seriously your going to cut content because some people show it on youtube oh boo hoo, taking your ball home are you Nintendo?
And here I was thinking of getting a Wii U, well if that's the sort of people controlling it then maybe I should save some cash. No wonder it's having issues getting more games with people like this behind the controls.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
So...basically..."I don't like people uploading the videos onto YouTube, so I'm going to turn them into ads...that will probably be put on YouTube."

...what.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
As people have said, he might as well be saying "Oh well, people will pirate this shit anyway, let's just not bother!"

Then there's the worrying fact that he's claiming that the cut-scenes were the ONLY thing worthwhile in the story mode, and that it was 'ruined' by YouTube. True as that may be, that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in your creation and is an overall pathetic excuse. I mean, smacking around baddies in the SSE was still pretty fun to do by yourself or with a buddy (I'm pretty sure that SSB is more or less a party game anyhow), and I'm pretty sure there's better excuses for not bothering to make a massive part of your new game than because of 'da Internets'. After all, isn't Nintendo already generating revenue from said YouTube vidoes anyway? I'm pretty sure non-LP's or anyone who didn't attach ads were forced to do so by Nintendo as well.

In any case, I definitely would have avoided referring to the cut-scenes as a 'reward' for 'bothering' to play the single player, again because that doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

major_chaos said:
At times like this it feels like Nintendo is run by a bunch of behind the times old men. See also: the almost total absence of online features on the Wii.
Now hold it right there, Nintendo knows about the internet alright. Didn't you hear about the massive Day 1 patch that Wii U users everywhere had to go through? (that was my feeble attempt at a joke)