Super Smash Bros. 3DS And Wii U Drops Story Mode

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
We can't wow them if they see it early so the only sensible thing is to not wow them at all. Brilliant. Hats off to you guys, thinking outside the box.

I wonder how we'll unlock characters now.

Edit: Ah, misread. Thought single player story was going to be removed entirely

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Fine with me. I liked Subspace Emissary right up until about halfway through when everyone gets trophied and you spend almost the entire second half of the game going through dungeons finding them. I called it "The Dungeon of Infinite Padding." Sure some of the scenes were good (ROB's especially were heart breaking), but I absolutely hated that second act dungeon.

Also, it shouldn't shock anybody that the evil of Youtube is Nintendo's reasoning. They really don't like Youtubers much. [http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-is-claiming-ownership-of-let-s-play-videos-253793.phtml]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Subspace Emissary sucked rocks anyway.
I wasn't really that invested since the stages only served to show how horribly wonky and inadequate the gameplay was to proper platforming. (if you're going to go the multi-mode route, you gotta do it ala Kirby Superstar; which is ironically the spiritual predecessor to the entire Smash Bros series so I KNOW they can do it.)

It's not like anyone was spoiling anything special. Bad Guys do Bad Things, Good Guys Stop Them.
Battle with Ascended Blue Mel Gibson at the end.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, uploading cutscenes to YouTube didn't stopped The Walking Dead from selling, I can't belive how narrow minded Ninty can be about all things internet.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
So this is the attitude they are making the game with? Don't put maximum effort into it because someone might see your hard work on their terms? Ok, I guess my initial misgivings are confirmed then.

To be fair, I couldn't care less if the mode was there or not, but nothing about this news says that they want to put effort in for your money. They know the game will sell on its name alone, so why bother?

Jan 22, 2011
this has to be the dumbest piece of b.s. Nintendo has done lately. Screw it I was excited for the new brawl game but it's not even worth my time now.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
suitepee7 said:
might pick it up on the 3ds, but don't have a wiiu. i didn't mind SE on the Wii though, not a huge issue in any case, but the reason they removed it is bloody pathetic...

also about wowing the player only the first time you see a cutscene, i would like to redirect you to these two for a start:

Oh please if you want to wow someone each time do this:

Seriously I get a big gamer stiffy when I get to this part of the game.

Also to Nintendo. Don't get rid of it! I freaking loved it in it's entirety. Best part being the assult on the Subspace. That part was bad-ass.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Regardless of whether you like Subspace Emissary or not, you gotta admit that an entire game feature not being included because people upload the cutscenes sounds pretty damn petty. There's got to be some other reason behind the decision.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I wonder how popular that excuse will be with the rest of Nintendo now that Nintendo content on YouTube is subject to content ID and provides ad revenue for Nintendo.

"We will not put a story mode in our game because people will post videos of it on YouTube where videos of our games earn us money"

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I liked SSE, a crying shame IMO. I see a lot of divided opinions on it, which is fine.

Not making one because the cut-scenes were uploaded is hilariously petty and kind of well... stupid to me. It's weird because I always thought Sakurai was a pretty good guy. The reason it's bad is because people want to see them first before everyone else. People want to work and unlock them and see the great cutscenes. Now they're not there, which makes me really feel no need to buy the game early, as odd as that is.

I just sort of feel like this game is going t o have a lot less content than brawl. Quite frankly, in this day and age, you're going to need more than 15 levels and a multiplayer mode for me to spend $60 on your game and pick up a WiiU to play it.

This needs to be the WiiU's killer app. It needs to be hundreds of dollars of content in a $60 package because Nintendo really needs to move console units. If this gets its reputation as being a half-assed smash brothers that's simply not going to be good enough for people (I imagine anyways).

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
I swear to god, does every news site just regurgitate Kotaku's editorialized garbage now? You don't mention his plan to reward players in other ways or the fact it's going to be much similar to melee.

Why would you though? That's not nearly click baiting or comment trolling enough.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Stupid excuse and he's said many dumb things like it before.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less for cutscenes. They're a waste of money that could be used to improve other parts of the game. The Sub Space Emissary mode ended up sucking big time anyway because of how poorly it was implemented.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Oh no! Now I'll never know how Kazushige Nojima's Nintendo Character Fanfiction will play out! What ever shall I do?

As slack-jaw retarded that excuse is, I almost wish Squeenix would use that same excuse with those Final Fantasy XIII films so they can work on something a wee bit more interactive. Like a video game. Hell, you can still include Kazushige Nojima if you want, at least his writing did some good for Final Fantasy.

But back to the topic: between this and Nintendo's recent move of collecting ad revenue from Nintendo game Let's Plays, one has to wonder if Nintendo just now discovered this year that the internet is a thing that exists. Either that or Nintendo is still stuck in the early 90's.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
C'mon, there's gotta be a better reason than that. Sakurai probably would've been better off telling us straight up instead of giving us some petty nonsense.

Unless that really is his reason, in which case... yeesh.

EDIT:
Mr.Mattress said:
I want everyone to know, that when Mr. Sakurai said this, he was refurring to the Cutscenes in Brawl, not in the current game being created. Also, while it won't have a Story mode like Brawl, it will have the Story Mode akin to Melee and the Original. I just want to clear this up.
Oh, well, alright then.

While I enjoyed SSE, it was more the platforming elements, rather than the story. I can't say I'll miss the story this time around

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
I didn't really care for the cutscenes, but seriously? Seriously Nintendo? You're going to throw the entire Lets Play community under the bus and blame them for features getting cut? Ridiculous.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
You can't be serious Nintendo, I really enjoyed the SSE but I understand, you want to focus on the gameplay and stuff alright fair enough I'm sure it will be awesome but why tie this back to YT?

Using "Youtube Spoiled it" As an excuse is a stupid and pathetic excuse, tell the truth

Also look at the Walking dead and the Last of Us or Heavy Rain, they all were heavily story based and LP'ers played them, what happened? They sold amazingly...

How out of touch with reality are you nintendo?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
As I said in the other thread, Sakurai uploaded a ton of those cutscenes to his blog months before the game even came out. So either he's lying or he's a massive hypocrite.