Super Smash Bros. 3DS And Wii U Drops Story Mode

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Retrograde said:
If you want to wow players with your single player, don't make it shit.

To be fair though, who *really* plays smash for it's single player? Honestly now?
Mmeeeee!

I believe they haven't reached the true potential of a good single player for that type of gameplay yet. I reckon they would have a better chance just making several Adventure modes and fill them with many interesting challenges. Though, I really enjoyed playing some of the events in Melee. I think I played the Legendary Pokemon one at least 100 times.

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
Huh. I wasn't exactly expecting Sub Space Emissary to make a return but no story mode whatsoever is just kinda stupid. Most of the people I know enjoyed Melee and Brawl for it's co-op and single player. With this one article I've gone from highly anticipating SSB to suddenly wondering if I made a mistake purchasing a Wii-U.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
As much as I liked the CG cutscenes in Brawl, I don't really care if there isn't a huge adventure mode in the game, I would rather have some more new and interesting single player modes. Although I hope they keep All Star Mode, that's always good fun. Subspace Emissary was cool for some sections(like the boss battles), but I really disliked that maze section near the end, that was just like an awful version of a Metroid game.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Wow Nintendo you keep sucking more and more. The only time I ever turn on my Wii U is to see if there is anything in the shop and the answer is always no. keep giving me reasons to not play the console I bought.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Well cynical me is going to chime in here.

That's possibly the best excuse I've heard for not bothering to make a story mode. "We're being lazy and it's YOUR fault."

On a less cynical note, I'm kind of confused by this move. I've watched entire playthroughs of games before playing them and still enjoyed them. The space battle cutscene at the end of Mass Effect 3 is cool whether or not I see it in the game or out of it, same goes for story.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
I think YouTube is just an excuse. Earlier this month Nintendo stated that they underestimated the price of going HD? I think that could be the real reason why we're not having any big-time. It better be after something so trivial at "They'll see the cutscenes on YouTube." If they just said it cost too much I'd understand more than saying "Boo hoo, YouTube!"

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
GeneralFungi said:
Dryk said:
As I said in the other thread, Sakurai uploaded a ton of those cutscenes to his blog months before the game even came out. So either he's lying or he's a massive hypocrite.
It's hard to call someone a hypocrite for uploading something online when he is responsible for their creation. If I draw a picture and I tell you not to post it on deviantart I'm not going to get called out for posting the image online myself, am I?
"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees a [cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Sakurai was the first person to enable people to see the cutscenes outside of the game. Not some random Youtuber, Sakurai. His reasoning does not line up with his past actions at all.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I really wish Nintendo would reconsider and not go this route with the cutscenes. Trying to fight piracy, especially YouTube, is only going to hurt them in the long run. Exposure like that will get more people interested in the game. It's time to stop using outdated logic and start coming up with means that will counter piracy without being a dick.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Someone needs a quick course in marketing
If he had come out and said that they cut the subspace emissary because it took a lot of time, effort, money and kept it at that, I would have been a lot more understanding
But that half-assed excuse is not acceptable and made me quite annoyed (and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one)

I absolutely loved the subspace emissary part it was much less tedious to play that single campaign once or twice to unlock everything, than play the same boring adventure mode 2-3 time WITH EACH CHARACTER (That's between 50 and 75 times trough the same 12 stages)on top of classic mode which was basicly the single-player part of a normal fighting game.
Not to mention that it actually had a story and quite a lot of unique enemies (And some of the situations the story had was hilarious) which is quite unique for a fighting game.
The subspace emissary is what kept me playing the game for a lot longer than I normally would a fighting game

I really can't see why people are glad it's gone.
Does that mean the same people found the event mode tedious too?

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
WHAT? NO! The Subspace Emissary cutscenes were one of the best parts of Brawl! They were so awesome and the great invasion remains one of the best moments in ANY Nintendo game!!! You can't just get rid of the cutscenes, you can take away the terrible platforming or maybe make it have more to do with the universes that these characters come from.

And the YouTube excuse, I'm not buying it, if someone gets the cutscenes spoiled for themselves, that was THEIR choice! Allow people to spoil it for themselves if they want to, and respect that there are also many, many, MANY others like myself that deliberately try not to be spoiled!!

And if someone spoils the cutscenes for themselves, they aren't going to go "well now there's no point in buying the game". Everyone buys a Smash Bros. game for the multiplayer!

Sakurai has said some worrying things about this game so far, there won't be a larger number of characters, there won't be any version-exclusive characters, there won't be any 3rd party characters (other than Mega Man). It's just not sounding good, every Smash Bros. game has got BIGGER, this actually sounds like they're taking a giant leap backwards.

And about the platforming in SSE, it was very obvious that the level design was very Kirby-inspired, but the characters were not made for platforming!

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Kinda annoying, but hey if they spend there time making it a better running and balanced game with the extra resources and time they now have by not making the story mode or cutscenes, then I'll be fine with it.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
I'm kinda disappoint but character customization has me interested. Altering a character's performance sounds awesome.