Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U Edge-Grabbing Mechanics to Change

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Wii U Edge-Grabbing Mechanics to Change

Competitive Super Smash Bros. players will have to adapt to some mechanic changes for edge-grabbing.

Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai announced in Miiverse today a change to "attack and defense options for grabbing edges." In the picture Sakurai posted, Link and Mario both attempted to grab the edge of the stage, but Link trumps Mario's grab. The changes to edge-grabbing mechanics for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. could mean slight or drastic changes depending on players' style and level of play.

In the past, competitive players discovered the advantages to guarding and hogging edges to prevent other players recovering. By already holding onto the edge near to the falling player, recovery is made significantly more difficult. Sakurai did not explain the changes in depth, but he noted, "Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge," and "Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage."

In previous Smash Bros. games - especially in Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- edge recoveries depended on the amount of damage. Players with less than 100% damage hanging on to an edge and recovering will do so quickly and deal little damage to an opponent standing nearby. With at least 100% damage, the recovery is slower and does slightly more damage. The duration a player can hang on the edge also depends on the amount of damage.

The changes suggest camping out on edges can be countered. However, for now how air time and damage affects the duration of edge-hanging invincibility is unknown. Hopefully Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U will be more balanced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130951-Super-Smash-Bros-Director-Working-to-Balance-Characters], which is something Sakurai is striving toward.

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYngiZ2EwA]

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Good.. maybe? I don't play smash competitively nor can I even begin to understand the complexity of it at a top level but the few times I've watched it I always hate seeing someone die because of ledge guarding/hogging or whatever it's called.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sounds fair enough, but the real thing that will make or kill it will be how technical the fighting can get, Melee is still played competitively over a decade later, if Nintendo can remember that accessibility and depth aren't mutually exclusive them here's hoping for another fighting game for the ages.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is exactly what I was hoping for. Maybe not this specific change, but this amount of thought and examination of existing mechanics.

P.S. Thanks

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I only play Smash Bros. casually with friends, so "balancing" issues are never a big deal to me. Still, this sounds like an interesting change, and I always like it when things get mixed up a bit.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
Am I the only one here who thought Mario was stomping on Link's "trump edge-grab"?
I honestly thought Mario was thinking "oh, I wonder how many points this will give me" when he's stomping on his head. XD

OT: Well I say go for it, because I know many people who use ledges as safety zones for a time and they can be evil when it comes to it.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
roseofbattle said:
In previous Smash Bros. games - especially in Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- edge recoveries depended on the amount of damage. Players with less than 100% damage hanging on to an edge and recovering will do so quickly and deal little damage to an opponent standing nearby. With at least 100% damage, the recovery is slower and does slightly more damage. The duration a player can hang on the edge also depends on the amount of damage.
I have clocked hundreds of hours of brawls against friends, and I never picked up on that 0.0 I'm not saying it ain't true or anything - I'm just amazed that after all that time there was something I hadn't picked up on!

This sounds like a reasonable change to make. I haven't abused ledge hogging or played against those that have much but I can see how it'd be a pain in the ass, or unsportsmanlike at least.