Super Smash Bros. Director May Not Make Another Game in Series

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Super Smash Bros. Director May Not Make Another Game in Series

After a massive undertaking in the 3DS and Wii U versions of Super Smash Bros., director Sakurai doesn't believe he'll be involved in future games of the series.

Super Smash Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20smash%20bros] director Masahiro Sakurai is leaning away from making any future games in the series. After a successful launch for both the 3DS and Wii U versions this year, Sakurai reflects on the series as one that has grown so much but also caused him stress.

In an interview with CVG [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/12/03/january-cover-revealed-no-mans-sky-3452523434.aspx], Sakurai notes the amount of effort needed in development to make Super Smash Bros. what it is has made a scope that goes "far beyond the sale price," he said. "In terms of scope, and in terms of sheer number of characters, we went beyond our limits long ago."

The new Super Smash Bros. has 50 character slots on the roster, the largest in the series. Sakurai also knows that if developers cut the number of characters in future games, players would complain.

Sakurai said this does not mean there will not be more Super Smash Bros. games in the future, as he thought Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl would both be the last. However, he does not think there is another Smash game in him.

"You could say that all the effort in the past to stretch out, keep pushing myself, and provide all these extra merits wound up tightening the noose around my neck in the future," he said. "That may seem like it contradicts my personal desire to keep giving gamers as much as I can, but I don't see an easy answer for it. And yet, despite that, I also have trouble picturing someone else taking my place and providing all this value-added content without me."

Sakurai worked long days during development for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U [http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-directors-job-would-kill-me-1473110526] six days a week, often doing a lot of the work himself despite an arm injury.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS launched October 3, while Super Smash Bros. for Wii U launched November 21.

Source: CVG [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/12/03/january-cover-revealed-no-mans-sky-3452523434.aspx]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If he chose not to work on the next one he could always serve as a consultant. Would be weird having an SSB game without his influence somewhere in there.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
This is what a friend was telling me last week.

All the new additions to the U version (8 player smash) and the fact that there's a handheld version tells him that realistically, it'll be another decade or so before we get another smash bros.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some discussion between him and the higher ups at Nintendo that he needs a break. After the health scare with Satoru Iwata, I'd expect Nintendo to take a more "healthy work approach" to their developers. Working to death is not good for the company, the person, and the fans/consumers.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I'm sad to see the creative core of the series leave. Although maybe now Nintendo might consider giving a shit about the core fanbase of the games, because Sakurai's obviously lost interest in making real improvements to the game. I mean I like Sakurai but the gameplay and game modes have been getting shallower and shallower since Melee. Yes Sakurai, that Smash Party thing may be quite fun, but that doesn't stop the combat being so neutral-focused and heavily defensive.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure he said similar things after brawl

that said it does seem like this new one took a larger toll on him, so if he feels he needs to step away he absolutely should, his personal health should come first

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Sakurai also suffer a progressively debilitating shoulder? To the point where he can't use a mouse? (But has to use a track ball.) I bet that weighs in a lot on this as well. Granted I'm sure they will put another director on the team. But if I'm right on his injuries rumor he may scale back on a lot of projects.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
I'm sad to see the creative core of the series leave. Although maybe now Nintendo might consider giving a shit about the core fanbase of the games, because Sakurai's obviously lost interest in making real improvements to the game. I mean I like Sakurai but the gameplay and game modes have been getting shallower and shallower since Melee. Yes Sakurai, that Smash Party thing may be quite fun, but that doesn't stop the combat being so neutral-focused and heavily defensive.
And just who is the "core fanbase" the competitive players? My cousins 5 year olds? Me? Nintendo may have dedicated fanbase but that's the thing people don't understand about them. They don't have a "core" fanbase they are trying to appease by offering up sacrifices to the alter of Project M. I read comments like yours and I see someone who really is Melee blind.

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
KazeAizen said:
And just who is the "core fanbase" the competitive players? My cousins 5 year olds? Me? Nintendo may have dedicated fanbase but that's the thing people don't understand about them. They don't have a "core" fanbase they are trying to appease by offering up sacrifices to the alter of Project M. I read comments like yours and I see someone who really is Melee blind.
By "core" I mean the fans of Smash that stick the the game for years after its release, that invest time in learning about the intricacies of the games and mastering it. The ones that look past the fanservice and love the game for what it is. So yes, the more dedicated fanbase, with includes competitive players. The reason I feel Sakurai has been missing their appeal, beyond the simplification of and uncompetitive shift in gameplay, is that the various game modes lack any real sort of substance. Most of the new game modes - Master/Crazy Orders, Target Blast, Trophy Rush, Smash Tour - seem rather shallow and lack any real depth; they're just simple minigames to amuse you briefly. Brawl was similar in this but there was an attempt to expand on the Adventure Mode from Melee; eventually it failed because of shoddy direction. Rather than improve on that though, Sakurai decided to simply scrap it entirely, because improving takes effort.

I'm amused you use the phrase "Melee blind", as if it's some sort of insult to like a certain game over others. I do enjoy playing Smash 4, as I did with Brawl, but that doesn't mean I won't be disappointed. I don't see myself playing it several months down the line, but I still come back to Melee and 64 because they managed to outlive the novelty and with its very enjoyable and deeper gameplay.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
ShakerSilver said:
By "core" I mean the fans of Smash that stick the the game for years after its release, that invest time in learning about the intricacies of the games and mastering it. The ones that look past the fanservice and love the game for what it is. So yes, the more dedicated fanbase, with includes competitive players. The reason I feel Sakurai has been missing their appeal, beyond the simplification of and uncompetitive shift in gameplay, is that the various game modes lack any real sort of substance. Most of the new game modes - Master/Crazy Orders, Target Blast, Trophy Rush, Smash Tour - seem rather shallow and lack any real depth; they're just simple minigames to amuse you briefly. Brawl was similar in this but there was an attempt to expand on the Adventure Mode from Melee; eventually it failed because of shoddy direction. Rather than improve on that though, Sakurai decided to simply scrap it entirely, because improving takes effort.

I'm amused you use the phrase "Melee blind", as if it's some sort of insult to like a certain game over others. I do enjoy playing Smash 4, as I did with Brawl, but that doesn't mean I won't be disappointed. I don't see myself playing it several months down the line, but I still come back to Melee and 64 because they managed to outlive the novelty and with its very enjoyable and deeper gameplay.
I don't take time in learning the intricacies of the game but I've stuck with it for every iteration. I don't "master" the game so what does that make me? Not part of the core fanbase? The fact that you mention uncompetitive shift in gameplay is really disheartening. He made one game that was had just enough weirdness to it that people were suddenly like "HE'S TRYING TO MAKE IT COMPETITIVE! HE MUST MAKE EVERY GAME COMPETITIVE FROM NOW ON IN THIS SERIES!" The subspace emmissary had so much more substance than the adventure mode of melee.

Besides Smash has ALWAYS had simple minigames to amuse you briefly. Every single game has and that has not nor will it ever change. Maybe tweaking them yes but they will always be simple. The amount of bitterness I sense in your comment is kind of sad really. You say you enjoy it but from what I see that comes off as not being entirely truthful. Smash was never meant to be deep. That's the problem a lot of you guys have. You don't seem to understand that Smash never was meant to be a truly deep competitive fighting game like Street Fighter or League or some other eSport.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Take "fans" bitching about not having Ridley as a playable character on top of all that was mentioned and it's no surprise he's moved away from the series.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
It probably doesn't also help that he's likely sick of people saying, "Just make Melee again!".

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Norix596 said:
It probably doesn't also help that he's likely sick of people saying, "Just make Melee again!".
Along with with "Make an Emissary mode again!".
"Add in Ridley!".
"Add in Final Fantasy!".
"Make more Starfox games!".
"Make more F-Zero games!".
"Stop rehashing Mario!".
"Do more dark/cartoony Zelda games!".
"Get more 3rd party games!".
"Lower your prices!".
"Stop fucking region locking shit!".

And I'm sure there are plenty more

KazeAizen said:
Smash was never meant to be deep. That's the problem a lot of you guys have. You don't seem to understand that Smash never was meant to be a truly deep competitive fighting game like Street Fighter or League or some other eSport.
That's actually a big load. They didn't spend ages exhausting themselves to make a game they felt was going to be simple. And what difference does it make any way? They've appealed to a new audience, which is what studio's usually strive for, and now that audience wants more, which only makes sense.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Nazulu said:
KazeAizen said:
Smash was never meant to be deep. That's the problem a lot of you guys have. You don't seem to understand that Smash never was meant to be a truly deep competitive fighting game like Street Fighter or League or some other eSport.
That's actually a big load. They didn't spend ages exhausting themselves to make a game they felt was going to be simple. And what difference does it make any way? They've appealed to a new audience, which is what studio's usually strive for, and now that audience wants more, which only makes sense.
Yeah they catered to a new audience that wants them to cater exclusively to them and no one else. The audience doesn't want more. The niche audience mind you. No, they want to be in charge. If they didn't they wouldn't be baiting Nintendo with the latest Project M shenanigans.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
KazeAizen said:
Nazulu said:
KazeAizen said:
Yeah they catered to a new audience that wants them to cater exclusively to them and no one else. The audience doesn't want more. The niche audience mind you. No, they want to be in charge. If they didn't they wouldn't be baiting Nintendo with the latest Project M shenanigans.
Well that's a whopping generalisation. And you've pretty much did the exact same thing, saying it wasn't meant to be 'deep' and that's the problem they have. I have no doubt you both want to dominate it.

Also what the hell is wrong with Project M? It's basically a mod, for those who want more of a Melee style.

ShakerSilver

Nov 13, 2009
KazeAizen said:
I don't take time in learning the intricacies of the game but I've stuck with it for every iteration. I don't "master" the game so what does that make me? Not part of the core fanbase? The fact that you mention uncompetitive shift in gameplay is really disheartening. He made one game that was had just enough weirdness to it that people were suddenly like "HE'S TRYING TO MAKE IT COMPETITIVE! HE MUST MAKE EVERY GAME COMPETITIVE FROM NOW ON IN THIS SERIES!" The subspace emmissary had so much more substance than the adventure mode of melee.

Besides Smash has ALWAYS had simple minigames to amuse you briefly. Every single game has and that has not nor will it ever change. Maybe tweaking them yes but they will always be simple. The amount of bitterness I sense in your comment is kind of sad really. You say you enjoy it but from what I see that comes off as not being entirely truthful. Smash was never meant to be deep. That's the problem a lot of you guys have. You don't seem to understand that Smash never was meant to be a truly deep competitive fighting game like Street Fighter or League or some other eSport.
Subspace has no depth: it's a simple beat-em-up set in generic locations (forest, secret lab, sky place, cave) that pits the player against random enemies. The original Adventure mode featured several different kinds of scenarios unique to each game (side-scrolling for Mario, navigating a labyrinth for Zelda, escaping the planet for Metroid) although it was rather short in length. Instead of improving on this, they opted to make Subspace the way it is. Also didn't help that it repeated itself in the later half. The Great Maze was nothing but a chore.

Smash 64 enjoy a healthy, if niche, competitive scene that has existed since its inception. Brawl had a larger competitive scene than Melee during the first years of its launch. Smash bros is an inherently competitive type of game, there's no way around this. Any multiplayer game is, and Smash has always attracted a competitive fanbase. How the game fosters good competition varies heavily. Smash 64 had a hyper-aggressive game with little defensive options that lead to very frantic and volitile gameplay. It was fun to watch people pull of 0-death combos in increasingly creative ways. Melee was more balanced in terms of offense and defense, refined the gameplay system of Smash 64 and included a lot more offense and movement options. The complexity of the system, as well as the well-refined physics, allowed for a very deep combat system that has taken years to master, with people still discovering unknown techs and potential matchups. After Melee though, Sakurai wanted to take another direction, because he saw competitive players as a threat to the casual market, somehow. He took measures to make Brawl much less enjoyable competitively by reducing movement options, buffing defensive options, making hitstun neglegible and combos practically impossible, and changing the physics so that they were slow, floaty, and sluggish. All this lead to a slow, campy, and overly-defensive meta-game. Smash 4 did little to remedy this, just slightly increasing fall speeds hitstun, but boosting defensive options even further, almost forcing the game to be consistently stuck in a campy neutral-game like Brawl.

Yes, Smash has always had a collection of minigames, but I know that it wasn't those minigames that kept me coming back to play with my friends over and over again in 64 and Melee: it was having fun, balanced gameplay that could continue entertain us even as we got better at it. The reason play Smash isn't because it's a cross-over fighter with my favorite Nintendo characters - it was the reason I picked it up, but that novelty wears off quickly - it was because of the unique gameplay that kept me coming back to it and still enjoying it. I don't find that kind of enjoyment in Brawl, and 4 doesn't seem to be holding me over either. It's obvious that Sakurai cares little for the audience that loves Smash bros for the game it is, not for whatever characters/trophies/etc they stuff into it.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Nazulu said:
Well that's a whopping generalisation. And you've pretty much did the exact same thing, saying it wasn't meant to be 'deep' and that's the problem they have. I have no doubt you both want to dominate it.

Also what the hell is wrong with Project M? It's basically a mod, for those who want more of a Melee style.
A whopping generalization that I've yet to see a reason not to do it. The Smash/Melee competitive scene really is the most elitist community I've ever seen. They condemned Brawl for not being Melee. They'd rather everything just be a Melee clone. Yes they made that project M mod out of a combination of Melee nostalgia, Brawl hatred, and to spite Nintendo. Mods that tweak game performance are justified if the game is broken or not up to par graphically than what was presented. Brawl was and since this mod didn't do really anything that could be called "cool" e.g. putting Zoidberg in Skyrim Project M is just a giant middle finger to Nintendo for not making Brawl play exactly like Melee did.
ShakerSilver said:
Subspace has no depth: it's a simple beat-em-up set in generic locations (forest, secret lab, sky place, cave) that pits the player against random enemies. The original Adventure mode featured several different kinds of scenarios unique to each game (side-scrolling for Mario, navigating a labyrinth for Zelda, escaping the planet for Metroid) although it was rather short in length. Instead of improving on this, they opted to make Subspace the way it is. Also didn't help that it repeated itself in the later half. The Great Maze was nothing but a chore.

Smash 64 enjoy a healthy, if niche, competitive scene that has existed since its inception. Brawl had a larger competitive scene than Melee during the first years of its launch. Smash bros is an inherently competitive type of game, there's no way around this. Any multiplayer game is, and Smash has always attracted a competitive fanbase. How the game fosters good competition varies heavily. Smash 64 had a hyper-aggressive game with little defensive options that lead to very frantic and volitile gameplay. It was fun to watch people pull of 0-death combos in increasingly creative ways. Melee was more balanced in terms of offense and defense, refined the gameplay system of Smash 64 and included a lot more offense and movement options. The complexity of the system, as well as the well-refined physics, allowed for a very deep combat system that has taken years to master, with people still discovering unknown techs and potential matchups. After Melee though, Sakurai wanted to take another direction, because he saw competitive players as a threat to the casual market, somehow. He took measures to make Brawl much less enjoyable competitively by reducing movement options, buffing defensive options, making hitstun neglegible and combos practically impossible, and changing the physics so that they were slow, floaty, and sluggish. All this lead to a slow, campy, and overly-defensive meta-game. Smash 4 did little to remedy this, just slightly increasing fall speeds hitstun, but boosting defensive options even further, almost forcing the game to be consistently stuck in a campy neutral-game like Brawl.

Yes, Smash has always had a collection of minigames, but I know that it wasn't those minigames that kept me coming back to play with my friends over and over again in 64 and Melee: it was having fun, balanced gameplay that could continue entertain us even as we got better at it. The reason play Smash isn't because it's a cross-over fighter with my favorite Nintendo characters - it was the reason I picked it up, but that novelty wears off quickly - it was because of the unique gameplay that kept me coming back to it and still enjoying it. I don't find that kind of enjoyment in Brawl, and 4 doesn't seem to be holding me over either. It's obvious that Sakurai cares little for the audience that loves Smash bros for the game it is, not for whatever characters/trophies/etc they stuff into it.
They tried doing an actual story, with character relationships (however shallow they might've been) and doing something NEW.

You mean the competitive scene that somehow formed in the days before the web and before esports was even a thing let alone Nintendo games? That was extremely niche. You know what. I was going to write a wall of text like you but I'm not. Its not worth it. The Smash competitive community really is the worst competitive community out there bar none. Frankly the less Nintendo caters to them the better off we all will be.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I just cant help but think its not as good as powerstone 2 on the Dreamcast...
Why no sequel?

Having said that I respect the guy for stepping away rather than phoning it in for the pay cheque.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
KazeAizen said:
Nazulu said:

A whopping generalization that I've yet to see a reason not to do it. The Smash/Melee competitive scene really is the most elitist community I've ever seen. They condemned Brawl for not being Melee. They'd rather everything just be a Melee clone. Yes they made that project M mod out of a combination of Melee nostalgia, Brawl hatred, and to spite Nintendo. Mods that tweak game performance are justified if the game is broken or not up to par graphically than what was presented. Brawl was and since this mod didn't do really anything that could be called "cool" e.g. putting Zoidberg in Skyrim Project M is just a giant middle finger to Nintendo for not making Brawl play exactly like Melee did.
The reason not to do it is because it's usually not true, like at all, cause we see sweeping statements like this all the time, and I really don't see the issue. Of course many people hate Brawl when there is Melee, they're so drastically different. Saying they want Melee because they want more Melee is basically them wanting more games like Melee. We've covered this. It happens with every franchise and everyone does this.

Your words give it away. They created Project M from NOSTALGIA, BRAWL HATRED, and SPITING NINTENDO! The 3 worst things, lol. And now you're dictating what they should have put in their mod so it would cool? It's their mod, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. And if they want to make a Melee mod, fueled with hatred for Brawl, then more power to them.

It's obvious you prefer Brawl and want more games like it. I mean look at the words you used. Niche, nostalgia, not justified, elitist, spite. I'm waiting for devil worshiping, Nazi sympathising, Brawl racists next.