Super Smash Bros. Director May Not Make Another Game in Series

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Nazulu said:
The reason not to do it is because it's usually not true, like at all, cause we see sweeping statements like this all the time, and I really don't see the issue. Of course many people hate Brawl when there is Melee, they're so drastically different. Saying they want Melee because they want more Melee is basically them wanting more games like Melee. We've covered this. It happens with every franchise and everyone does this.

Your words give it away. They created Project M from NOSTALGIA, BRAWL HATRED, and SPITING NINTENDO! The 3 worst things, lol. And now you're dictating what they should have put in their mod so it would cool? It's their mod, they can do whatever the hell they want with it. And if they want to make a Melee mod, fueled with hatred for Brawl, then more power to them.

It's obvious you prefer Brawl and want more games like it. I mean look at the words you used. Niche, nostalgia, not justified, elitist, spite. I'm waiting for devil worshiping, Nazi sympathising, Brawl racists next.
I prefer Brawl because it is an overall better game than Melee. The reason I'm so angry is because they say Brawl is a terrible game. I've seen Brawl called a terrible game more times than I've seen anything positive said about it. Sure go ahead and say all opinion is subjective but the people's attitudes, on the web anyway, seem to come off as they would prefer Brawl never exist in the first place. I'm not dictating what they should put in their mod. What I'm saying is that those are the two types of mods I've ever seen. Ones that fix inherent problems with a broken game or ones that modify the game in some way to make it cooler or more interesting. Not devolve it into its predecessor.

Sure its their mod and they could do what they want with it. In my opinion its a middle finger to Nintendo.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
KazeAizen said:
I prefer Brawl because it is an overall better game than Melee. The reason I'm so angry is because they say Brawl is a terrible game. I've seen Brawl called a terrible game more times than I've seen anything positive said about it. Sure go ahead and say all opinion is subjective but the people's attitudes, on the web anyway, seem to come off as they would prefer Brawl never exist in the first place. I'm not dictating what they should put in their mod. What I'm saying is that those are the two types of mods I've ever seen. Ones that fix inherent problems with a broken game or ones that modify the game in some way to make it cooler or more interesting. Not devolve it into its predecessor.

Sure its their mod and they could do what they want with it. In my opinion its a middle finger to Nintendo.
There is one thing in Brawl that finally made me give it the middle finger.

Random tripping.

And although Project M does indeed have a lot of similarities with Melee, I think you should DEFINITELY give it a try. It really does feel like what Brawl should have been. It takes the best of both games and puts them together while cutting out the major problems and then adding a whole lot of features, characters, and moves as well. And the characters in it are more balanced than they've ever been in any game except perhaps Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
KazeAizen said:

There is one thing in Brawl that finally made me give it the middle finger.

Random tripping.

And although Project M does indeed have a lot of similarities with Melee, I think you should DEFINITELY give it a try. It really does feel like what Brawl should have been.
Nope, nein, no, and never. Mostly because I can't be asked how to figure out how to emulate a Nintendo game on a PC and then figure out how to get a mod running for it. Project M can burn for all I care.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
KazeAizen said:
Nope, nein, no, and never. Mostly because I can't be asked how to figure out how to emulate a Nintendo game on a PC and then figure out how to get a mod running for it. Project M can burn for all I care.
Actually... Assuming you have a Wii, you can just put it on a flash drive and put it into your Wii. It's quite painless. Also, if you were to go the harder route and got the mod running on your PC, you can play it with any controller you want that can hook up to the PC plus a lot more customizability and the ability to take awesome screenshots and play online and a host of other amazing features that aren't available on the Wii of course.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
KazeAizen said:
Mostly because I can't be asked how to figure out how to emulate a Nintendo game on a PC and then figure out how to get a mod running for it. Project M can burn for all I care.
I'm sorry, but right now you're sounding a bit childish when it comes to denying you'll ever use the mod. If you were to look, you could find out that you don't even need a PC to install it. You can install it via SD Card and play it straight on your Nintendo Wii, or even Wii U, without damaging it or having to hard mod it. It says on the sight how to install it, which is extremely simple and I honesty don't know anyone who does use their PC to play Project M.

As for Brawl, I personally found it to be a huge step down from Melee in terms of fighting mechanics because of how floaty it felt, and because of how gritty and less colorful it looks overall. Smash 4 is a definite improvement in both fighting and color spectrum. And Sakuari can state to the moon and back "Smash Bros isn't supposed to be competitive" but the thing is, any game will be made competitive in some way, shape, or form. Does that mean Brawl is a bad game, no, but it was definitely a step down from Melee in my opinion.

OT: Not surprised in all honesty. Sakuari always works really hard when making the Smash games, and I say Smash 4 is probably my absolute favorite one in terms of speed, movement, colors, and music. Although, Sakuari has said before that he wouldn't make another one after Brawl, but time changed that really. Even then, having a new director for it never hurt either, and it'd be better for his overall health really. Even if he were to make the next one, sooner or later he'll have to have someone else take over, so starting now wouldn't be so bad. I mean, Miyamoto has left the Zelda series in Aonomura's hands now, and I've liked most of his work for it so far; Miyamoto doesn't even really do Mario games anymore, and that's more of Koichi Hayashida now with some of the more recent mainstream Mario titles (Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Neronium said:
KazeAizen said:
Mostly because I can't be asked how to figure out how to emulate a Nintendo game on a PC and then figure out how to get a mod running for it. Project M can burn for all I care.
I'm sorry, but right now you're sounding a bit childish when it comes to denying you'll ever use the mod. If you were to look, you could find out that you don't even need a PC to install it. You can install it via SD Card and play it straight on your Nintendo Wii, or even Wii U, without damaging it or having to hard mod it. It says on the sight how to install it, which is extremely simple and I honesty don't know anyone who does use their PC to play Project M.

As for Brawl, I personally found it to be a huge step down from Melee in terms of fighting mechanics because of how floaty it felt, and because of how gritty and less colorful it looks overall. Smash 4 is a definite improvement in both fighting and color spectrum. And Sakuari can state to the moon and back "Smash Bros isn't supposed to be competitive" but the thing is, any game will be made competitive in some way, shape, or form. Does that mean Brawl is a bad game, no, but it was definitely a step down from Melee in my opinion.
I'm not really caring if I sound like a child around that subject. I'm at my wits end with Melee purists.

Does that mean Brawl is a bad game,
According to the competitive community and embracers of project M. Yes. Yes it does.

VioletHero

Sep 2, 2014
Blaze the Dragon said:
I remember he said this right after Brawl came out, and I'm pretty sure he said it before that as well.
Yep, said the same thing after Melee too.

What happend both times is that Nintendo decided to hand thd next game to someone else and then Sakurai is like "wat ur making SSB without me? I want to be involved" Then they give him the job and after development he gets so burned out that he declares it the last SSB game he'll work on.

This will happen again. Nintendo will give someone else the project and Sakurai will miss working on SSB and now we are getting another Sakurai SSB.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
KazeAizen said:
Not devolve it into its predecessor.
You know project M adds moves, characters, stages, modes, and costumes right? It takes the the solid core of Melee and adds totally new things as well as merging in the few good things that brawl added.

By what twisted logic? The best mods I have ever play have been massive overhauls of fundamental game systems (BDoom, Project Nevada, Project M, ect.) and none of them have been made out of spite for the game or its developers.

I also find in funny that nowhere in your venomous attacks on others out have you actually clarified what makes brawl so good and melee so bad on a gameplay level. There is no way in which removing combos is an improvement, there is no possible way to justify tripping, and yet you claim brawl is the better game. So go ahead, enlighten me, I'm waiting.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
major_chaos said:
KazeAizen said:
Not devolve it into its predecessor.
You know project M adds moves, characters, stages, modes, and costumes right? It takes the the solid core of Melee and adds totally new things as well as merging in the few good things that brawl added.

By what twisted logic? The best mods I have ever play have been massive overhauls of fundamental game systems (BDoom, Project Nevada, Project M, ect.) and none of them have been made out of spite for the game or its developers.

I also find in funny that nowhere in your venomous attacks on others out have you actually clarified what makes brawl so good and melee so bad on a gameplay level. There is no way in which removing combos is an improvement, there is no possible way to justify tripping, and yet you claim brawl is the better game. So go ahead, enlighten me, I'm waiting.
Tripping is the one thing I will agree on. Those tap A three times combos are still there. Smash has never had what one would consider traditional combos for a fighting game. So I don't see how they could "remove" them and even if they did the way the games play you could just invent new ones. I'm not saying Melee is bad. I'm saying its viewed through rose colored glasses. I remember liking, playing, and enjoying Brawl a hell of a lot more than I ever did Melee. I can't speak on either one now really because its been years since I've played them because I have a freaking life AND YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO FREAKING PISS ME OFF THIS MORNING!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
KazeAizen said:
I think you need to calm down. You are getting disproportionately worked up over videogames you don't apparently care all that much about. Also capslock is a really poor way to get a point across. Just saying.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
major_chaos said:
KazeAizen said:
I think you need to calm down. You are getting disproportionately worked up over videogames you don't apparently care all that much about. Also capslock is a really poor way to get a point across. Just saying.
I do need to calm down. I'm not thinking straight this morning. I was worked up already and then I got terrible news from my cousins this morning so yeah I'm operating on a very very very short fuse right now.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I just want to put in my two cents on the whole competitive smash community thing.

Y'all really shouldn't be surprised that you earned the reputation of being the most elitest, snobby, and most annoying group of competitive fighters in the gaming community. My experience with them has always been lukewarm, to eye rolling. Sadly this kind of extends to my friends as well.

My first time playing Smash was when I was 5 or 6 and I had gotten an N64 console. Since then I have played every iteration since (granted the Wii U version is the first one I've actually owned.) As I grew up I learned all the air dodging, ground mitigating, fighting tricks and tips one comes to expect in a smash game. But the most fun I've ever had in Smash is when I'm playing with friends with items on. I love the randomness, and funny shit that comes out of it. And honestly it truly does give less than good players at least a fighting chance at winning the game.

My fun in Smash started to wane when the competitive community (Especially on the Meless front.) started to become more and more pervasive in not just the online community, but in real life as well. It seems as of late, the only people who like/don't care about having items on in their smash games are people under the age of 14 and lightweight smash players, and said opinion is very much a minority opinion in the college age demographic. I fell in love with Smash BECAUSE it was meant from the very beginning to be a fun party bralwer. But after Melee people have just gotten more and more insufferable about it. I can't have nearly as much fun as I used to have with real life smash friends like I used to because everyone but me in the group are into the whole "Final destination, No Items" schtick and get all downer when I want to play with items. Don't even get me fucking started on public Smash gatherings either. You even so much as bring up items match and you got the whole fucking group railing on your ass 'NO ITEMS, WE AREN'T DOING ITEMS, FUCK THAT!!" Like shit man. Fine, okay, let's play final destination flat stage.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my one on one no items competitive match. But that's not what I started playing the game for the fun of it. But it's like in every facet of the Smash community inside and out, the melee and competitive fanatics always have to shut everyone else down by being a big Debby Downer about it, or being so bossy over it that people agree with them just so they would shut the fuck up about there being items.

It also really alienates people who just aren't good at playing smash. Like I said earlier items does give an advantage for lesser skilled players. Nobody likes to lose all the time, and in no item matches anyone who doesn't know how to play the game all that well is guaranteed to lose like 5 minutes in. That's not fun at all.

The problem with Melee and competitive fans is that they think they are the core demographic of the game, when they really aren't. They are simply a subset of a much larger Smash fanbase. Similar to how Pokemon has a casual, kid friendly fanbase, and a competitive hard core fanbase. You want to know why nobody in the Pokemon fanbase complains about the competitive snobs? Because they at least have enough self awareness to know that Pokemon does not, and will not cater to them 100%. They make their own online communities to talk about their tactics, and keep it between them and other fellows. But when it comes to the outside public they don't act like shit lords and enforce Smogon rules up the ass to casual player Sam, and little kid Tabitha.

Melee and competitive players on the other hand thinks that the game was made solely for them, and will make sure that everyone fucking knows it.

It's fucking not. Sorry Sakurai didn't make everyone in the game balanced little angels for your flat staged orgy fest. Just this Thanksgiving break I was at my friends place, and her mother's friend had two daughters- one probably around 5 and the other 6-7 playing Wii U smash and having fun. I sometimes hear middle schoolers talking about playing smash and having fun, hell even casual people have fun with smash. None of them ever gave two shits that Bowser is broken. They play their favorite franchise characters and go with it.

I honestly wonder if Sakurai and team were poking a secret jab at the competitive scene by having a "For Fun" and "For Glory" section.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
The only possible response is to shower the man with praise. He has made great games and somehow seems to remember being berated instead of appreciated.

Which is pretty dumb since every single iteration is fantastic (Project M is fantastic too). Smash is the only fighting game I play semi-competitively. You can't make every single internet warrior happy. It's a game for kids after all.

I mean think of the children!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'm sad to see Sakurai go, if that is indeed the case. But I look forward to whatever his next project is.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, from what I'm hearing about the latest installment...

It's a good time to hang up your hat. It's a nice note to end on.