Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD: Good for a beginner game?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I was interested in picking this up since it's cheap and I always liked Street Fighter, the only problem being... I'm quite sucky at it, I can pull of Ryu's moves, but that's about it, long story short I've never been great at fighting games but like them anyway. I have the Hyper Anniversary edition on PS2 but even at lowest settings I keep getting owned by opponents easily, I was wondering what this new version compares and if it offers any tutorials or good training mode with move lists etc.?

Thanks.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
I was interested in picking this up since it's cheap and I always liked Street Fighter, the only problem being... I'm quite sucky at it, I can pull of Ryu's moves, but that's about it, long story short I've never been great at fighting games but like them anyway. I have the Hyper Anniversary edition on PS2 but even at lowest settings I keep getting owned by opponents easily, I was wondering what this new version compares and if it offers any tutorials or good training mode with move lists etc.?

Thanks.
Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Super Turbo is already a brutal and technical game with no training modes (and no training wheels). HD Remix does nothing to change this. If you're looking to pick up a fighter off Xbox Live/PSN that is a little more new player friendly, I would suggest either Marvel VS Capcom 2 or Pocket Fighter. neither have good training modes but they are both more fun than Super Turbo if you don't have the technical skill.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Thanks for the help, I guess I'll be skipping it :/

I've recently been playing the BlazBlue games which are apparently considered very in depth, I"m not really having trouble with the mechanics at all and they've done a really good job with tutorials in the second game etc.

I plan on picking up SSF4 sometime down the track, have been meaning to play it for awhile. I have the Alpha Anthology on PS2 which contains Pocket Fighter (used to play it on PS1, it was fun) not to mention the Alpha games are really cool.

Oh and I played MvC3 while I was at a store and beat the Arcade mode. I haven't bought it because I was disappointed with the lack of features and not having Megaman (that's a silly reason, but it just seems they were lazy with the game, especially since Zero is in it).

Looks like I'm rambling >_>

Anyways, why is it that Capcom fighters tend to have this non-newcomer friendly approach? Especially with SF2? It just seems weird to me that so many fighting games restrict their audience like that.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Trogdor1138 said:
I plan on picking up SSF4 sometime down the track, have been meaning to play it for awhile.
It is quite unfriendly to players who don't have a high degree of joystick skill, and has more artificial difficulty built in than HD Remix.

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/2/22/a-few-things-about-street-fighter-4.html

I own both SFIV and HDR. I have not played them a lot. HDR is the one I will play in the future if I feel like playing something from the Street Fighter series.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Super Street Fighter 4 is a much easier game to get into, seeing as it has the challenge and training modes. It's also rather inexpensive.
Perhaps the 3DS version would be the most beginner friendly...