Superb CoD: Black Ops Ad Celebrates Your Inner Soldier

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Superb CoD: Black Ops Ad Celebrates Your Inner Soldier

There's a soldier inside everyone, says this incredibly entertaining commercial for Call of Duty: Black Ops, and that soldier wants to shoot things in the face.

Let's face it: For all we glamorize war in fiction like videogames and movies, we probably all understand on a basic level that war is not fun. In fact, it's about as un-fun as you get. That's the entire point of games like Call of Duty, isn't it? It lets us joe schmoes live out the fantasy of being the war hero without crouching terrified behind a piece of rubble wondering if every breath is going to be our last.

So yes. In the context of Call of Duty, there's a soldier inside everyone. It may be a play soldier, the type of soldier that you'd imagine being when you were much younger, but there's still that fantasy nonetheless.

This awesome advertisement for Treyarch's Black Ops - out next week - is all about that fantasy and how it appeals to everyone across all walks of life. Considering the massive popularity of the Call of Duty series, I wouldn't be surprised if the sort of people portrayed in this ad actually played the game online.

Even if you have no interest in the series, or if you like the series but hate Treyarch's installments, or if the very thought of spending money on something in some way attached to Bobby Kotick's name makes your head spin, I think we can all appreciate an awesome commercial, can't we? Especially one that's more than a little reminiscent of that amazing Xbox 360 commercial that never aired [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk].

I have one issue with it, though: If this is supposed to be the Call of Duty playerbase, where are all the 15-year-old kids?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
yeaaah, Halos was better.
*slaps self*
No stay out of CoD related topics!
Bad paranoid!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
That's... that's really cool. And they've used "Gimme Shelter" again.

I would now repeat the statement that every single piece of media for the game is getting me more and more hyped, but, I'm already buying it first day anyway.

John Funk said:
I have one issue with it, though: If this is supposed to be the Call of Duty playerbase, where are all the 15-year-old kids?
Ouch, John. Ouch

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Awesome ad, but do I smell controversy?

"War isn't a joke! blah blah blah"
Now where are all the hyperactive teens? Where!?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
That's really funny. It doesn't impact how good the game actually is, but still. There's just something inherently ausing about guys in business suits firing rocket launchers and taking calls in the killzone.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
As much as I hate the glorifying of war, this was pretty fucking awesome.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
That's pretty awesome,
but yeah as everyone else is saying, where the hell are they 12 year olds ?
Awesome tune ^^

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
awesome

and too those who are posting something stereotypical teens. Please shut up.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
The guy with the phone made me laugh. This trailer kind of embodies what I love about online gaming: Playing with people from all walks of life from all over the world. Seems like lots of people lose sight of the beauty of that.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Damn it no amount of balanced multi player and good advertising will make me buy this. Must resist.

WarpCode

Mar 18, 2010
Those are obviously the PC players.. The 12-15 year olds will be in the XBox commercial.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
*sigh* Jack Thompson is going to flame this so hard!

OT- I think a larger choir singing in a cord of just saying "Win!" would be the best way to describe this trailer.